British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   practical exam theory (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/practical-exam-theory-520432/)

dobaman Oct 6th 2008 7:16 am

Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 6848510)
hi guys can you open another thread for chatting??
the idea of this thread is info for thoose taking exams ;)

yep, sorry steve, didnt check the forum i was on.:o

karan Oct 8th 2008 3:11 pm

hi easter,
did you recieve my pm i sent you?:confused:

DAVE AND SHARON 08 Oct 8th 2008 10:20 pm

hello steve'o im in the early stages of applying for my visa and know im gonna come up against this skills assesment test. i just wondered if u had a link or know were i can find out what exactly is in the test so i can do some much needed studying and refresh myself as i have forgoten most of my college days. im absolutly dredding it as i just scrapped through on my science side of my 16th edition and have heard this is the same type of exam and is meant to be quite expensive? i will look through your links to refresh myself a bit but do u or anyone know of a decent book to revise with? thanks for your help, this site is very usefull :thumbsup:

jonsparx Oct 9th 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by DAVE AND SHARON 08 (Post 6857917)
hello steve'o im in the early stages of applying for my visa and know im gonna come up against this skills assesment test. i just wondered if u had a link or know were i can find out what exactly is in the test so i can do some much needed studying and refresh myself as i have forgoten most of my college days. im absolutly dredding it as i just scrapped through on my science side of my 16th edition and have heard this is the same type of exam and is meant to be quite expensive? i will look through your links to refresh myself a bit but do u or anyone know of a decent book to revise with? thanks for your help, this site is very usefull :thumbsup:

try the vetassess website and look for electrician practical test, its there somewhere!

www.vetassess.com.au

Davy Oct 9th 2008 8:49 pm

Try Electrical Installation Work by Brian Scadden. [he used to set the 2391 papers for C&G] everything is in it. It's also just the right size to prop up a wobbley table when you finished.Davy.:rofl:

Easter Oct 10th 2008 8:50 pm

Yes I did thankyou very much!

shaun_k Oct 15th 2008 6:20 pm

Hi
Can anyone who has just sat the vetassess practical exam let me know how much theory is involved. The info I got from them says about impedance and reactance etc. But all that stuff is lost right at the back of my brain.
Also the motor circuit with the banana leads on the board? Is it drawn on the board and you just have to join the relevant parts of the circuit to make it work with no actual motor?

If anyone can help thanks very very much.

A very worried man from Hull...

Easter Oct 15th 2008 6:35 pm

Hello Mate,You get a circuit diagram for the motor,the theoryu is power calculations,resistors series & parallel,ohms law all the usual college stuff....

Easter

hagueok Oct 15th 2008 7:10 pm

when you do your theory, what can you take in with you? eg are you meant to know all the band colours of a resistor from memory?

Davy Oct 15th 2008 8:13 pm

Pens, Calculator, You don't need to know the colours.:thumbup:Davy

The_Pom_From_Aus Oct 21st 2008 6:25 am

steve`o;

i have been cutting & pasting lots of your web links mate into a word document for people on here, i must say Steve your links & descriptions are bloody fantastic, well done mate.

steve`o Oct 21st 2008 7:05 am

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus (Post 6894738)
steve`o;

i have been cutting & pasting lots of your web links mate into a word document for people on here, i must say Steve your links & descriptions are bloody fantastic, well done mate.

just remember where the royalty cheques go :rofl::rofl:

Easter Oct 21st 2008 10:08 am

Hi im new to the site, got my test 28 oct resit, failed in april, any advice please mate <<snip>>

The_Pom_From_Aus Oct 21st 2008 12:14 pm

steve`o;

Mnnnnnnnnnnn does that mean i have to bring you a Fish & Chip Butty.???

Sheff_Sparky Oct 29th 2008 10:16 am

For those with time on the hands (my test is on the 30th oct 2008, tomorrow). I have found this book invaluable, i got the 2nd hand ones (mint condition)for under a tenner. All the basics needed for the theory part. Worth every penny..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-I...5275126&sr=8-1