British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   practical exam theory (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/practical-exam-theory-520432/)

porter555 Jul 9th 2008 8:26 pm

Re: practical exam theory

thanks for all the info steve o :thumbup:but my god you have shit me up just realised how much ive forgotten:confused::cry_smile::cry_smile:

steve`o Jul 20th 2008 8:50 pm

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...tt/elect39.htm
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/acdc.htm

added rms peak voltage info
( thanks to dobaman for the insight into the theory exam )

regards steve

steve`o Jul 20th 2008 8:58 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

transformer windings ;)

steve`o Jul 20th 2008 9:02 pm

http://www.mathsteacher.com.au/year1...ulas/trans.htm

transposing formula`s

( thanks to kevin s )

lbb_1974 Aug 20th 2008 3:24 am

TRA LTC Re-Application

Hi there !

I have been through telephone interview and turned unsuccessful .And they had advised me to re-apply again for another consideration.I don't have any idea for the next will be same interview?what would be theoritical and practical exams would be given?

Thanks

LBB Brisbane

BFOX Aug 30th 2008 2:04 am

I'm waiting for the interview but I've a lot of troubles with my english :( (I'm from Italy) So I'll try but...... :unsure: :confused:

If someone is looking for electrical information, click on this link

http://www.tpub.com/content/doe/index.htm

Ben C Sep 11th 2008 8:07 pm

How much of the theory is Regs based?

dobaman Sep 11th 2008 8:31 pm

cant say about the aus regs, but uk, none of it.

standard technical fare with exception of isolation procedures, theyre more like oil refinery stuff. but they will send the procedure as part of your welcome pack.

its like city and guilds 236 tech paper, resistance, current, circuits etc.

it may be painful, but check this thread front to back, that pretty much covers all. dont forget to send some karma to steve'o;)

d:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ben C Sep 11th 2008 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dobaman (Post 6773821)
cant say about the aus regs, but uk, none of it.

standard technical fare with exception of isolation procedures, theyre more like oil refinery stuff. but they will send the procedure as part of your welcome pack.

its like city and guilds 236 tech paper, resistance, current, circuits etc.

it may be painful, but check this thread front to back, that pretty much covers all. dont forget to send some karma to steve'o;)

d:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have read this through actually, i'm getting the company i'm currently working for through their NICEIC assessment, almost everything I do needs regs consulting one way or another. I'm surprised that these VETASSESS theories don't focus more on it to be fair. I did my C&G2360 around 2001 and my C&G2391 in 2004 I think. My field is more electrical engineering so i'm having to go over old stuff to get certain aspects. The obvious stuff like domestics etc is second nature but everyone has weaknesses in certain areas. I'm hopefully going to be doing my 17th Edition upgrade before my VETASSESS so that should get me back tip top.

dobaman Sep 11th 2008 8:51 pm

mate, thats some serious quals you got there;)

to be honest, you should walk through the assessment. if you think you have a weakness cough it up in a pm or email and we can send you some typical questions like the ones i faced in july.

the install will take you some time if you aint used to strangling pvc tube, and to be honest if you had those sorts of quals, and worked for me, i wouldnt be asking you to do install works.

dont forget, this assessment covers everyone from domestic sparks through to hv cable layers. i'm sure you'll be fairly comfortable.
:thumbsup:

moriarty711 Sep 11th 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ben C (Post 6773859)
I have read this through actually, i'm getting the company i'm currently working for through their NICEIC assessment, almost everything I do needs regs consulting one way or another. I'm surprised that these VETASSESS theories don't focus more on it to be fair. I did my C&G2360 around 2001 and my C&G2391 in 2004 I think. My field is more electrical engineering so i'm having to go over old stuff to get certain aspects. The obvious stuff like domestics etc is second nature but everyone has weaknesses in certain areas. I'm hopefully going to be doing my 17th Edition upgrade before my VETASSESS so that should get me back tip top.

Why would they focus on the regs though when none of it is relevent to them?
They just want to know that you've got a broad base of knowlege.

steve`o Sep 11th 2008 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ben C (Post 6773859)

as you need to learn new regs ie asnz 3000:2007 it would be pretty pointless testing your knowledge of 7671, they need to know that your electrical knowledge is up to scratch

getting a company through nic enrollments fun isnt it :eek: i know as my company was "niccy" registered in the uk
i did the c&g 240 on the niccys mans recommedation then found out i could have got away with doing the 239 which meant alot of extra work for nothing at the time, but in retrospect i`m glad i did as it brushed up on all those thinsg that you forget / dont use after your apprentiship,

good luck

regards steve

shaun_k Sep 24th 2008 8:11 am

Thanks I stupidly thought this was gonna be really easy. It's been a while since I covered most of the maths theory.

jacovdb Sep 28th 2008 12:28 pm

I am doing my practical assessment on the 2/10 in Capetown SA. I completed a National Diploma in electrical engineering, but Engineers Australia claims that I can only apply as an engineering associate if I do not have a degree. Now I am going the Vitesses route to get assessed as an electrician.

I found this forum :thumbsup:(thanks GOOGLE) and is really grateful for the advise.

My main concern is the domestic applications. How much of the practical consist of this. I design and build electrical panels for various applications (including motor starters,distribution boards, powerfactor correction etc.) and also do fault finding and repairs on this equipment.

Questions:

*Will I have to bend conduit and determine the spacings for the supports etc. Should I go buy a piece of conduit and a bending spring and start practicing?:rofl:
*Earthing systems is also not something I work with on a daily basis, I know how to test loop impedance, insulation resistance and continuity, need I know more?
*Will it benefit me to study the IEE (BS7671) wiring regulations again?

steve`o Sep 29th 2008 2:46 am

Originally Posted by jacovdb (Post 6827102)
I am doing my practical assessment on the 2/10 in Capetown SA. I completed a National Diploma in electrical engineering, but Engineers Australia claims that I can only apply as an engineering associate if I do not have a degree. Now I am going the Vitesses route to get assessed as an electrician.

I found this forum :thumbsup:(thanks GOOGLE) and is really grateful for the advise.

My main concern is the domestic applications. How much of the practical consist of this. I design and build electrical panels for various applications (including motor starters,distribution boards, powerfactor correction etc.) and also do fault finding and repairs on this equipment.

Questions:

*Will I have to bend conduit and determine the spacings for the supports etc. Should I go buy a piece of conduit and a bending spring and start practicing?:rofl:
*Earthing systems is also not something I work with on a daily basis, I know how to test loop impedance, insulation resistance and continuity, need I know more?
*Will it benefit me to study the IEE (BS7671) wiring regulations again?

nope no questions on regs its all basic ohms law resistances in series / parrallel

dol starters and star delatas starters

hopefully one of the guys thats done the exam recently will add more info for you

regards steve