Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Need advice on getting my Australian electrical qualifications

Need advice on getting my Australian electrical qualifications

Old Jun 8th 2023, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Weller13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice on getting my Australian electrical qualifications

Ok so I’ll give you guys a back story first ,
frok the UK and am a qualified electrician over there . Came to aus in 2016 as a backpacker then got sponsored in an unrelated job . Received my permanent residency a few months ago and now wanna get back into electrics !

however all the skills transfer people can help as I don’t need to transfer the skills over for a visa . TAFE say I’d need to do an apprenticeship but I’ve done one in the UK and I’d rather not do another one and get paid next to nothing and treated like shit .

im living the Darwin and I don’t no if it’s easier in other states I just wanna know if anyone knows how I can do this ? Australia needs electricians but only if they migrate here for it . Not use the ones already here ! I’m pulling my hair out
Old Jun 8th 2023, 9:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on getting my Australian electrical qualifications

Originally Posted by Weller13
Ok so I’ll give you guys a back story first ,
frok the UK and am a qualified electrician over there . Came to aus in 2016 as a backpacker then got sponsored in an unrelated job . Received my permanent residency a few months ago and now wanna get back into electrics !

however all the skills transfer people can help as I don’t need to transfer the skills over for a visa . TAFE say I’d need to do an apprenticeship but I’ve done one in the UK and I’d rather not do another one and get paid next to nothing and treated like shit .

im living the Darwin and I don’t no if it’s easier in other states I just wanna know if anyone knows how I can do this ? Australia needs electricians but only if they migrate here for it . Not use the ones already here ! I’m pulling my hair out
If you haven't worked as an electrician recently then TAFE is likely correct.

As an overseas qualified electrician you would still normally need the same assessment as required for the visa, and that requires a certain amount of recent work experience (think it used to be 12 months in the previous 3 years, but it's been a while - try the Vetassess site).

Your could try an RPL route - but the easiest is probably the apprenticeship.