National sparks rate.

Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: National sparks rate.

Hi Derren,

I'll be 40 in March 2012 so we are the same. Instrumentation is a good idea, it will be 12 months of combined study (part time theory and full time practical work) and definitely worth to have that certificate. As you said I can feel every single bone in my body so it is time to slow down a little bit (in Croatia we would say "put your gearbox in the first gear").

I'll spend next 8 months up north, take some serious money and then slow down.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Is E & I well paid out there? That's part of what I've been doing for the past 4 1/2 years.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

I'll be 40 next April, and looking to get to Perth with our lass and the kids once they finish for summer. Looks like I'll have to find work as a supervised spark untill I do the 12 month training due to going the vetassess route.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Mick00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deyan
If you're dual trade sparky or have some special knowledge which makes you different from the others or you're lucky (as I am ) to get a job up north on a union site then nothing can stop you to get EBA rates or even more than that.

btw Southern Cross Electrical Engineering is chasing load of sparkies for a long term project (4 years) near Karratha so if anyone need some extra money...
Has the project in Karrath kicked off yet, do you know what the roster is for it? I'm gonna try get onto the Gorgon project have few contacts so see what happens there first but might shoot a CV to SCEE too
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:07 pm
Am a Sparky get me outa ?

tombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nice

Hi lads
I am an industrial spark last job working on scunthorpe steel works where you do swa all day long 3 phase steel work etc. Wot is fifo???? and could i get a job with southern cross as.
I ve just flew into adelaide to check out work, and been told by skills recognition that i will have to do the whole TRA bit again, and that it could take up to 6 months as there is a back log. As well i am not allowed to work as an electrician even as a mate.
Is this true.

I
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:52 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tombo1979
Hi lads
I am an industrial spark last job working on scunthorpe steel works where you do swa all day long 3 phase steel work etc. Wot is fifo???? and could i get a job with southern cross as.
I ve just flew into adelaide to check out work, and been told by skills recognition that i will have to do the whole TRA bit again, and that it could take up to 6 months as there is a back log. As well i am not allowed to work as an electrician even as a mate.
Is this true.

I
U need to apply for a ARTC number then get in touch with Peer and do the distance learning or I think u can also go there and study. Then sit the exam and apply for your SA licence. Quickest way
to go mate. Btw FIFO fly in fly out.

Last edited by Jockstar; Nov 15th 2011 at 11:56 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:04 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

The big jobs are where the money is at. My old rate before returning to the uk was:
36 dollars an hr
20 a day towards fuel
25 a week tool
65 a week into a redundancy fund paid whenever you left the job
Time and half and double time over 38 hrs
expected to work 10 or 11 hr days, sat mornings optional.

my advice also would be get some plc training, duel trade is where the money is at. The two ozzy lads I worked with trained in the sugar mills, duel trade. One was 22 and getting 200 grand a year subbing to the job, the other 30 year old and on 250 grand a year, he arrived every day in his shiny black hummer. On the books as his work vehicle. Great lads but money for old rope for these two. Sparks did all the donkey work putting in conduit and mounting all there gear, running the cables. they would then turn up with the heart to calibrate and off they would go back to there air on!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:50 pm
Am a Sparky get me outa ?

tombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nicetombo1979 is just really nice

Thats football wages crazy. 36 bucks an hr is gud, did you get your oz ticket? what type of work? was that on the mill you talked about.
Better than here dropping rate if that new agreement comes threw.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Deyan,
Have absolutely no experience with PLC's or the like but it's something I'm keen to get into. I've just turned 41 and the joints in my my body are starting to get a little bit achy installing metal containment and pulling in heavy SWA's. Although I'm doing a lot more testing as a lot of sparks in the UK don't like doing it.
Thinking I might do a TAFE course in instrumentation or a PLC programming course. I've got half a brain or so I'm told. Do you think it's worth doing it and how complicated is it?
Regards Derren
Hey Derren,

If you are in Perth you should look into doing the instrumentation through CET. First of all you do the theory online and then you go to the training centre for 2 weeks to do the practical part of the course. There is a good bit a theory to get through but it would be possible to do it in a couple of months if you are willing to spend some time in the evenings doing it. The course only costs $600. I've done the theory and was booked in for the practical next week but they rang me this morning to tell me it has been cancelled because they only have 3 people signed up for this month's practical and they need a minimum of 5 people for the course to run.
The other option is to do it through Polytechnic West in Midland as a night course. They do it 2 nights a week. One night is in the college and the other night is through an online lecture.

Hope this helps,

Adrian
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agillick
Hey Derren,

If you are in Perth you should look into doing the instrumentation through CET. First of all you do the theory online and then you go to the training centre for 2 weeks to do the practical part of the course. There is a good bit a theory to get through but it would be possible to do it in a couple of months if you are willing to spend some time in the evenings doing it. The course only costs $600. I've done the theory and was booked in for the practical next week but they rang me this morning to tell me it has been cancelled because they only have 3 people signed up for this month's practical and they need a minimum of 5 people for the course to run.
The other option is to do it through Polytechnic West in Midland as a night course. They do it 2 nights a week. One night is in the college and the other night is through an online lecture.

Hope this helps,

Adrian
Hi Adrian,
That's brilliant, thanks.
It's something I'm definitely considering, not just for the money but also to keep the mind active and interest up.
I'm not going to Perth but I dare say there will be something similar available in Brisbane,. If not there are some friends of mine in Perth who are overdue a visit.
Cheers again.
Regards Derren