National sparks rate.

Old Nov 13th 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all
Default National sparks rate.

Is there a national rate ( like the J.I.B rates for apprentices, electricians, approved sparks) in Australia?
Old Nov 13th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: National sparks rate.

Originally Posted by biggaf
Is there a national rate ( like the J.I.B rates for apprentices, electricians, approved sparks) in Australia?
Hi biggaf,
there is something called the EBA rate (Enterprise Bargaining Agreement) where the unions have negotiated a rate for sparks working on major construction sites. As far as I know the rate for a fully licenced spark is about $41 per hour and goes to double bubble after 36 or 38 hours. A friend of mine in Brisbane gets this and takes home about $1800-1900 for a 48 hour week.
Not too sure about the accuracy of the EBA rate I've stated, so hopefully someone might be able to confirm or put me right.
Regards Derren
Old Nov 13th 2011, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

biggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to allbiggaf is a name known to all

Hi Derren,
Cheers for that info,I thought it was around that sort of money, because I'm sure I've seen on the web somewhere a full list of all the rates, I just can't remember where. I need to have a good ratch on the net, and if I find anything I'll put a link on here.

Cheers
biggaf.

p.s. at least it'll give people a rough idea of an 'average' wage.
Old Nov 13th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Just found this-http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/labour...ctingAward.pdf
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:12 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I think reality however is the rates being from 28 to 35 on average.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:14 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi biggaf,
there is something called the EBA rate (Enterprise Bargaining Agreement) where the unions have negotiated a rate for sparks working on major construction sites. As far as I know the rate for a fully licenced spark is about $41 per hour and goes to double bubble after 36 or 38 hours. A friend of mine in Brisbane gets this and takes home about $1800-1900 for a 48 hour week.
Not too sure about the accuracy of the EBA rate I've stated, so hopefully someone might be able to confirm or put me right.
Regards Derren
sorry that may be the offical union rate but in reality expect to get

licence to train 20 to 25 an hour possibly less
fully licenced 25 to 35 cards in plus super and possibly high working allowance ( if your on high rised buildings ) and tool allowance,
subbying 35 to 55 you have to negotiate it
as a contractor - typical rates are 65 to 80 an hour depending on the job and its size

regards steve
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

So, if you were on the top end wages of say $35, how much is on your back pocket after super and tax. $800?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

I was on $35 rate, $1100 in my pocket for 40 fours. Super has nothing with that
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:13 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggaf
So, if you were on the top end wages of say $35, how much is on your back pocket after super and tax. $800?
Super is usually 9% on top of your income.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jockstar
I think reality however is the rates being from 28 to 35 on average.
Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry that may be the offical union rate but in reality expect to get

licence to train 20 to 25 an hour possibly less
fully licenced 25 to 35 cards in plus super and possibly high working allowance ( if your on high rised buildings ) and tool allowance,
subbying 35 to 55 you have to negotiate it
as a contractor - typical rates are 65 to 80 an hour depending on the job and its size

regards steve
Hi guys,
Yeah, I did notice that most of the jobs advertised do offer around the $30 - $35 dollar mark. I guess to get EBA rates or the big paying jobs it's a case of who you know (closed shop, type of thing).
Regards Derren
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

If you're dual trade sparky or have some special knowledge which makes you different from the others or you're lucky (as I am ) to get a job up north on a union site then nothing can stop you to get EBA rates or even more than that.

btw Southern Cross Electrical Engineering is chasing load of sparkies for a long term project (4 years) near Karratha so if anyone need some extra money...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Is it a good rate up there? Better than 14 quid as a maintanance spark in sunny Cumbria!! It's just nice to see potential to aim for once I get over to Oz!! Lol:-D
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deyan
If you're dual trade sparky or have some special knowledge which makes you different from the others or you're lucky (as I am ) to get a job up north on a union site then nothing can stop you to get EBA rates or even more than that.

btw Southern Cross Electrical Engineering is chasing load of sparkies for a long term project (4 years) near Karratha so if anyone need some extra money...
Hi Deyan,
An Aussie spark I know says that most Aussie sparks have never touched swa cables, steel conduit, trunking and the like, and if you have experience in this then you'll be considered as a super hero amongst sparks in OZ and would be able to chase the big bucks. Although again, I guess it's a case of who you know. A friend of mine works for Southern Cross Electrical and he say's they're always on the lookout for sparks with swa, ladder rack experience but I'm not sure I want to do a FIFO with a young family and all, but it depends on the time on/ time off roster.
Regards Derren
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Deyan,
An Aussie spark I know says that most Aussie sparks have never touched swa cables, steel conduit, trunking and the like, and if you have experience in this then you'll be considered as a super hero amongst sparks in OZ and would be able to chase the big bucks. Although again, I guess it's a case of who you know. A friend of mine works for Southern Cross Electrical and he say's they're always on the lookout for sparks with swa, ladder rack experience but I'm not sure I want to do a FIFO with a young family and all, but it depends on the time on/ time off roster.
Regards Derren
+ if you have knowledge about power generators or PLCs or C-Bus programming or you're dual trade sparky (instrumentation + electrical mechanic) and of course of who you know as you said.

Regarding FIFO as long as you have enough money to buy a $500K house without 25+ years repay you're lucky. I am a bit old for that amount of time so FIFO is a magical stick for me at the moment.

PS my previous boss said he prefer sparkies from Ireland, UK etc more than Aussies, I'm wondering why?!

Last edited by Deyan; Nov 14th 2011 at 8:25 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deyan
+ if you have knowledge about power generators or PLCs or C-Bus programming or you're dual trade sparky (instrumentation + electrical mechanic) and of course of who you know as you said.

Regarding FIFO as long as you have enough money to buy a $500K house without 25+ years repay you're lucky. I am a bit old for that amount of time so FIFO is a magical stick for me at the moment.

PS my previous boss said he prefer sparkies from Ireland, UK etc more than Aussies, I'm wondering why?!
Hi Deyan,
Have absolutely no experience with PLC's or the like but it's something I'm keen to get into. I've just turned 41 and the joints in my my body are starting to get a little bit achy installing metal containment and pulling in heavy SWA's. Although I'm doing a lot more testing as a lot of sparks in the UK don't like doing it.
Thinking I might do a TAFE course in instrumentation or a PLC programming course. I've got half a brain or so I'm told. Do you think it's worth doing it and how complicated is it?
Regards Derren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.