British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   national electrician licensing to commence Sept 2012 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/national-electrician-licensing-commence-sept-2012-a-737590/)

rinkerdink Nov 1st 2011 9:48 pm

national electrician licensing to commence Sept 2012

Dear all

Hopefully i am reading this right? But the following link states that electrical trade licences will become nation rather than state based and run by NOLA along with plumbing and aircon trades.

http://www.erac.gov.au/index.php?opt...=82&Itemid=542

If this is truly the case? (Please comment on your thoughts) then it opens the PEER door again as you presumably would only have to wait till september next year (NOLA website says they start in (June/ July) before a national licence replaces the SA one.

I've heard talk of all this but this looks very official and concrete?

rinkerdink Nov 1st 2011 9:55 pm

Re: national electrician licensing to commence Sept 2012

Yep looks to be an automatic transition to a national licence.

http://nola.gov.au/transitioning-to-...ent-licensees/

I'll be doing a bit more investigation to establish the nuts n bolts of all this before hot footing it to Adelaide once my ARTC is through :fingerscrossed:

derren7 Nov 3rd 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 9709278)
Yep looks to be an automatic transition to a national licence.

http://nola.gov.au/transitioning-to-...ent-licensees/

I'll be doing a bit more investigation to establish the nuts n bolts of all this before hot footing it to Adelaide once my ARTC is through :fingerscrossed:

Hi rinkerdink,
Just been granted my ARTC so you might want to check your email or online tracking portal on the TRA website as I know you lodged your application around the same time as I did. Fingers crossed for you.
With regards to the national licencing system that's being introduced, I mentioned on another thread that with WA introducing "on the job gap training" it seems that with the advent of a national licencing system, all states may be required to harmonise their licencing and assessment procedures.
I've actually just read a very interesting post on another well known expat website where someone received a response from PEER stating that this might be the case.
In summary, PEER stated to them that all the other states wanted all states to fall in line with the log book system but SA want to keep their system in place but discussions are ongoing. Sounds a bit ominous doesn't it?
Regards Derren

steve`o Nov 5th 2011 8:14 am

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 9713003)
Hi rinkerdink,
Just been granted my ARTC so you might want to check your email or online tracking portal on the TRA website as I know you lodged your application around the same time as I did. Fingers crossed for you.
With regards to the national licencing system that's being introduced, I mentioned on another thread that with WA introducing "on the job gap training" it seems that with the advent of a national licencing system, all states may be required to harmonise their licencing and assessment procedures.
I've actually just read a very interesting post on another well known expat website where someone received a response from PEER stating that this might be the case.
In summary, PEER stated to them that all the other states wanted all states to fall in line with the log book system but SA want to keep their system in place but discussions are ongoing. Sounds a bit ominous doesn't it?
Regards Derren

I hope i`m wrong but dont be suprised if i`m not,

ive been reading information regarding how they will implement the
"national licence"
it`ll be via your owns states licencing dept so if you live in qld it`ll be the qld electrical safety office

so i`m going to say all the same nonsense and hoops will prevail on a state by state basis the only differnce being is we will all have the same colour and wording on our licences

regards steve

rinkerdink Nov 5th 2011 8:44 pm

Hi,

Just had the result, granted as electrical fitter, devastated as you can imagine! the reason given was

"The reasons why you were unsuccessful in obtaining recognition is as follows: Based on the evidence that you have supplied, the Queensland Local Trade Committee (LTC) have decided that you have not been able to sufficiently demonstrate that you have the training or work experience expected of an Electrical Mechanic working at trade level in Australia."

Can't fathom this out given i'd taken heed of all the advice regarding the content of the application. Dissapointed is an understatement, I am now considering whether to request a reassessment or just take what I have and work towards a mechanics ticket (this WILL take a year).

Will give them a ring on Monday for feedback with a submission of additional information and a reassessment in mind.

A bit of a choker as the whole family is totally sold on the Aussie dream now, we were planning on putting the house on the market in the next few days and getting across asap... All this looks like pie in the sky for a while now...:ohmy:

But well done and good luck Derren, chuffed for you.:thumbup:

Jockstar Nov 5th 2011 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 9715959)

"national licence"
it`ll be via your owns states licencing dept so if you live in qld it`ll be the qld electrical safety office

so i`m going to say all the same nonsense and hoops will prevail on a state by state basis the only differnce being is we will all have the same colour and wording on our licences

regards steve

So what if someone(me) has a licence for another state(NSW) through mutual recoqnition. Will i then have to reapply to the SA licencing board for a national licence?

derren7 Nov 5th 2011 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 9716682)
Hi,

Just had the result, granted as electrical fitter, devastated as you can imagine! the reason given was

"The reasons why you were unsuccessful in obtaining recognition is as follows: Based on the evidence that you have supplied, the Queensland Local Trade Committee (LTC) have decided that you have not been able to sufficiently demonstrate that you have the training or work experience expected of an Electrical Mechanic working at trade level in Australia."

Can't fathom this out given i'd taken heed of all the advice regarding the content of the application. Dissapointed is an understatement, I am now considering whether to request a reassessment or just take what I have and work towards a mechanics ticket (this WILL take a year).

Will give them a ring on Monday for feedback with a submission of additional information and a reassessment in mind.

A bit of a choker as the whole family is totally sold on the Aussie dream now, we were planning on putting the house on the market in the next few days and getting across asap... All this looks like pie in the sky for a while now...:ohmy:

But well done and good luck Derren, chuffed for you.:thumbup:

Hi mate,
I trust you had a good trip and can see that you have re-invigorated your dream. I can only imagine that along with the post holiday blues the outcome from the TRA really puts a downer on things , but all is not lost.
My first option would be to re- submit an application to the TRA.
Second option would be to email Chris at QET to see what you need to do to qualify as a mechanic. The attachment made by Steve O show's that CJ Goodall, a well missed poster on this forum,who has an OTSR could be fully licenced within 6 months. ARTC holders could be licenced within 3 months.
ARTC holders of a fitter,don't know , but Chris at QET will de able to advise.
Third option, do the PEER course. SA don't make a distinction between a fitter and a mechanic. You can do the PEER course and get a full SA licence as a spark. My mate in QLD works as a charge/foreman,and keeps banging on at me to get an SA licence as he reckons that you won't have too much difficulty finding work in QLD on an SA licence. He supervises 6 sparks working on an SA licence.
Fourth option, bit of a wild card but you can do the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). You approach a TAFE that is approved by the TRA and they can also assess your skills, although their assessment procedure takes around 12 weeks and you have to be in OZ to do it. Don't know too much about this option so I reckon you should fire off an email to Chris at QET in the first instance while considering re-submitting an application to the TRA.
All the best
Regards Derren

derren7 Nov 6th 2011 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 9716828)
So what if someone(me) has a licence for another state(NSW) through mutual recoqnition. Will i then have to reapply to the SA licencing board for a national licence?

Hi Jockstar,
I would suggest that as NSW have issued with a licence the you will have no problems when you have to re-apply/renew your licence.
Regards Derren

derren7 Nov 6th 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 9715959)

"national licence"

regards steve

Hi Steve,
I read the same as you, national licences will be issued by the existing state licencing boards. I do despair at at office bods most of the time but it does seem that they're trying to do something right and while I 'll agree that there will be the same hoops to jump through at least there will be some overseeing body to appeal to in any dispute, but then again the mutual recognition hasn't worked as it should have.
Regards Derren

rinkerdink Nov 6th 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 9716898)
Hi mate,
I trust you had a good trip and can see that you have re-invigorated your dream. I can only imagine that along with the post holiday blues the outcome from the TRA really puts a downer on things , but all is not lost.
My first option would be to re- submit an application to the TRA.
Second option would be to email Chris at QET to see what you need to do to qualify as a mechanic. The attachment made by Steve O show's that CJ Goodall, a well missed poster on this forum,who has an OTSR could be fully licenced within 6 months. ARTC holders could be licenced within 3 months.
ARTC holders of a fitter,don't know , but Chris at QET will de able to advise.
Third option, do the PEER course. SA don't make a distinction between a fitter and a mechanic. You can do the PEER course and get a full SA licence as a spark. My mate in QLD works as a charge/foreman,and keeps banging on at me to get an SA licence as he reckons that you won't have too much difficulty finding work in QLD on an SA licence. He supervises 6 sparks working on an SA licence.
Fourth option, bit of a wild card but you can do the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). You approach a TAFE that is approved by the TRA and they can also assess your skills, although their assessment procedure takes around 12 weeks and you have to be in OZ to do it. Don't know too much about this option so I reckon you should fire off an email to Chris at QET in the first instance while considering re-submitting an application to the TRA.
All the best
Regards Derren

Hi, yes it was a kick in the balls, picked up the message from TRA in the cab on the way back from the airport. I've had a think about it and i am planning a rush to adelaide for peer asap before SA go down the work experience and log book road. Even if this means i get a fitters ticket for now it is better than nothing, the fact other states won't recognise the a class licence as a mechanics ticket is not a problem, the peer route is still by far the quickest to get even a fitters ticket. Meanwhile I will be contacting the TRA to get feedback on where it went wrong but i suspect it was due to my apprenticeship not being a specific electrical installation one. Once i have a fitters licence i can do a QET conversion course that on the face of it looks to be similar in requirement and assessment to what i'd have to do with a mechanics artc to get the full licence.

Not heard of the RPL route but worth investigating further. The quest continues tomorrow/ tonight with calls to the TRA and e-mails to QET and PEER. Basically i'm planning on putting fingers in as many pies as possible because you are right, the dream has been re invigorated!

Thanks for the advice and good luck and well done to you too!

derren7 Nov 6th 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 9717485)
Hi, yes it was a kick in the balls, picked up the message from TRA in the cab on the way back from the airport. I've had a think about it and i am planning a rush to adelaide for peer asap before SA go down the work experience and log book road. Even if this means i get a fitters ticket for now it is better than nothing, the fact other states won't recognise the a class licence as a mechanics ticket is not a problem, the peer route is still by far the quickest to get even a fitters ticket. Meanwhile I will be contacting the TRA to get feedback on where it went wrong but i suspect it was due to my apprenticeship not being a specific electrical installation one. Once i have a fitters licence i can do a QET conversion course that on the face of it looks to be similar in requirement and assessment to what i'd have to do with a mechanics artc to get the full licence.

Not heard of the RPL route but worth investigating further. The quest continues tomorrow/ tonight with calls to the TRA and e-mails to QET and PEER. Basically i'm planning on putting fingers in as many pies as possible because you are right, the dream has been re invigorated!

Thanks for the advice and good luck and well done to you too!

Hi rinkerdink,
If you do go down the PEER route then you would get a full SA licence. SA have only one class of electrical licence as they don't make a distinction between a mechanic and a fitter.
As I've mentioned previously, you could find work in QLD on a SA licence.
It may be worth trying to convert it to a QLD one. Just fill in the required forms. They can only say no. It is clearly stated on the website that if you hold an SA licence then you are entitled to a QLD licence and if I remember correctly then all they ask for on the application form is 100 points of ID and a copy of your SA licence. You never know you might get someone who is reasonable dealing with your application.
Regards Derren

rinkerdink Nov 6th 2011 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by derren7 (Post 9717510)
Hi rinkerdink,
If you do go down the PEER route then you would get a full SA licence. SA have only one class of electrical licence as they don't make a distinction between a mechanic and a fitter.
As I've mentioned previously, you could find work in QLD on a SA licence.
It may be worth trying to convert it to a QLD one. Just fill in the required forms. They can only say no. It is clearly stated on the website that if you hold an SA licence then you are entitled to a QLD licence and if I remember correctly then all they ask for on the application form is 100 points of ID and a copy of your SA licence. You never know you might get someone who is reasonable dealing with your application.
Regards Derren

All being well I'll ge the A classs from SA and try and give the mutual recognition a go and if the TRA accept my resubmission i'll have the mechanics artc anyway to back it up (I think they take an even dimmer view in QLD of ARTC fitters going down PEER route), at the back of my mind is the national licence so i could get issued with one of them by SA once it gets rolled out anyway. One thing is for sure, no matter what hoops I've got to jump through i'll do it, who knows I may even see you at PEER :D

steve`o Nov 6th 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jockstar (Post 9716828)

no the way i understand it is you have to apply to the local licencing office of the state you reside in,

rinkerdink Nov 7th 2011 3:00 am

Just spoke with TRA, they say they will call me in the next few days once they have retrieved my file to elaborate more on the reason for the decision to grant a Fitter ARTC, an uncomfortable wait for me now :unsure:

Also spoke with Kate at PEER and i could do the wiring rules and live and woprk as a sparks in SA no problem whatsoever but I'll be screwed if I try to transfer a licence gained using a Fitter ARTC elsewhere, this was the long and the short of it all, she advised that I should contact QLD licencing to establish what their requirements were following feedback from TRA - I think l'll wait for the outcome of a resubmission of my TRA application before I try this.

Also looking at the worst case scenario I e-mailed Chris at QET to get an idea of how long it would take to go from Fitter ARTC (I think I'll need a full fitters licence first) to get on the Electrical Mechanic training and log book path, I think the QET route is the most realistic. I had hoped to go to SA get an A-class and switch that to a QLD Fitters licence under mutual recognition so i could crack on with converting to a mechanics licence but Kate at PEER thought this was risky/ doomed!

Oh well, it's a good job that the migration process has taught me patience i am used to these flurry's of activity followed by periods of waitng now :banghead::thumbs_down::rolleyes:

fishraiser Nov 7th 2011 5:26 am

Originally Posted by rinkerdink (Post 9709268)
Dear all

Hopefully i am reading this right? But the following link states that electrical trade licences will become nation rather than state based and run by NOLA along with plumbing and aircon trades.

http://www.erac.gov.au/index.php?opt...=82&Itemid=542

If this is truly the case? (Please comment on your thoughts) then it opens the PEER door again as you presumably would only have to wait till september next year (NOLA website says they start in (June/ July) before a national licence replaces the SA one.

I've heard talk of all this but this looks very official and concrete?

national license will be good for finding a job somewhere else.