Moving home

Old May 27th 2011, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Robert Griffiths is just really niceRobert Griffiths is just really niceRobert Griffiths is just really niceRobert Griffiths is just really niceRobert Griffiths is just really niceRobert Griffiths is just really niceRobert Griffiths is just really niceRobert Griffiths is just really nice
Default Moving home

I moved from the UK to Canada 15 years ago and became an electrician. I did a four year apprenticeship and have also obtained my Master Electrician Certification. I am now planning to move back to the UK and want to know how to go about getting certified to work as a licenced electrician there. Any suggestions on who to contact or what exams I would need to challenge?
Old May 28th 2011, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice
Default Re: Moving home

Hey Robert,

Contact the JIB and they'll advise you on what steps to take:

http://www.jib.org.uk/contacts.htm

I reckon they'll probably tell you to sit your AM2 (pretty tough practical exam) and 17th edition regs.

A word of warning, the construction industry in the UK has gone right down the toilet in recent years - not much work around, declining wages and conditions, no choice but to work through an agency etc. which is why myself and most people on the electrical forum have/are in the process of emigrated/emigrating to Australia.

You sure you want to go back???
Old May 29th 2011, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

johnny.w is an unknown quantity at this point

As the previous reply says the electrical indusrty in britain is pathetic now. What once was a good trade is now overrun with companies who want to exploit the weak legislation and endless supply of punters who will work for what we were getting 5 year ago. They sub there work out and agencies then get their dirty hands involved.
You may come and do all the stuff needed to get your jib card but you will never get the proper rates.
Rule 17 in the jib handbook says the min should be 51% card labour on sites.
All the major companies dont adhere to this and so the agencies call the shots now to the detrement of our trade.
Sorry but this is the reality.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:34 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

One good thing about agencies is that you can pick and choose your jobs when it's busy. However since alot of poles, eastern Europeans are willing to work for less. It makes it harder to get a job with decent money. Spoke with a big mate of mine in London. He says it's ****ed. Though better now that it was last year. Also says people are working the same money I was on 8 years ago. I have no intention to go back and work there.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

neolight90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question for the op. I know electricians are on the list but how hard was it to get an apprenticeship there with no experience or only experience as a mate?