British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/moving-brisbane-189-visa-cert-iii-917871/)

kev_brocken Oct 1st 2018 1:51 pm

Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Hi guys firstly I've only just joined this forum properly, been a big help reading through other posts and stuff regarding the whole immigration process and thought I would ask about an issue regarding myself personally as I can't find anything on here to help.

I completed my skills assessment with Vetassess and got my level 3 OTSR certificate. All I want to know is can I apply for a restricted license before I make the move to brisbane in January or do I have to do it once I arrive or when applying for a job etc?

I've worked in the jaguar land rover production factory for over 6 years as a maintenance electrician so I'm just wondering do I need to be an A grade electrician to find a similar job or can I apply with just a restricted license?

Cheers
Kev

old.sparkles Oct 1st 2018 10:43 pm

Re: Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Originally Posted by kev_brocken (Post 12571082)
Hi guys firstly I've only just joined this forum properly, been a big help reading through other posts and stuff regarding the whole immigration process and thought I would ask about an issue regarding myself personally as I can't find anything on here to help.

I completed my skills assessment with Vetassess and got my level 3 OTSR certificate. All I want to know is can I apply for a restricted license before I make the move to brisbane in January or do I have to do it once I arrive or when applying for a job etc?

I've worked in the jaguar land rover production factory for over 6 years as a maintenance electrician so I'm just wondering do I need to be an A grade electrician to find a similar job or can I apply with just a restricted license?

Cheers
Kev

Not sure if you can apply for the restricted license before hand or not - each state has their own rules and I'm in SA not QLD.

You will need to find an RTO for the gap training - wiring rules (similar to 17th Ed or which ever version they're on now), health and safety and low voltage rescue. I've heard that QLD require the LVR every 6 months.

As for applying for jobs, you can apply for anything you like with a restricted license. Supervision doesn't necessarily mean someone standing over your shoulder all the time and working in an industrial environment is completely different to house bashing / commercial installs / etc. You need to make sure you fully understand what the requirements are as you may need to explain them to an employer - or link them to documents that can.

Oh, and you don't have a cert III yet - you have an OTSR - two different beasts.

Luisec143 Feb 2nd 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Originally Posted by kev_brocken (Post 12571082)

Cheers
Kev

how you getting on Kev? My Husband is waiting to complete his assessment of skills and we are undecided between Perth and Brisbane
thanks