Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Old Oct 1st 2018, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

kev_brocken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Hi guys firstly I've only just joined this forum properly, been a big help reading through other posts and stuff regarding the whole immigration process and thought I would ask about an issue regarding myself personally as I can't find anything on here to help.

I completed my skills assessment with Vetassess and got my level 3 OTSR certificate. All I want to know is can I apply for a restricted license before I make the move to brisbane in January or do I have to do it once I arrive or when applying for a job etc?

I've worked in the jaguar land rover production factory for over 6 years as a maintenance electrician so I'm just wondering do I need to be an A grade electrician to find a similar job or can I apply with just a restricted license?

Cheers
Kev
Old Oct 1st 2018, 10:43 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Originally Posted by kev_brocken
Hi guys firstly I've only just joined this forum properly, been a big help reading through other posts and stuff regarding the whole immigration process and thought I would ask about an issue regarding myself personally as I can't find anything on here to help.

I completed my skills assessment with Vetassess and got my level 3 OTSR certificate. All I want to know is can I apply for a restricted license before I make the move to brisbane in January or do I have to do it once I arrive or when applying for a job etc?

I've worked in the jaguar land rover production factory for over 6 years as a maintenance electrician so I'm just wondering do I need to be an A grade electrician to find a similar job or can I apply with just a restricted license?

Cheers
Kev
Not sure if you can apply for the restricted license before hand or not - each state has their own rules and I'm in SA not QLD.

You will need to find an RTO for the gap training - wiring rules (similar to 17th Ed or which ever version they're on now), health and safety and low voltage rescue. I've heard that QLD require the LVR every 6 months.

As for applying for jobs, you can apply for anything you like with a restricted license. Supervision doesn't necessarily mean someone standing over your shoulder all the time and working in an industrial environment is completely different to house bashing / commercial installs / etc. You need to make sure you fully understand what the requirements are as you may need to explain them to an employer - or link them to documents that can.

Oh, and you don't have a cert III yet - you have an OTSR - two different beasts.
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Luisec143 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Brisbane on 189 visa with Cert III

Originally Posted by kev_brocken

Cheers
Kev
how you getting on Kev? My Husband is waiting to complete his assessment of skills and we are undecided between Perth and Brisbane
thanks