British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Electricians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/)
-   -   Maintenance Electrician needing advice please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/maintenance-electrician-needing-advice-please-503396/)

scottyw Feb 4th 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Maintenance Electrician needing advice please!

hi
im a maintenance electrician recently moved to perth with similar qualifications hnc/hnd

as far i can tell they mean nothing over here, once i get my license which has taken 4 months upto now ill be no better off than people i know who have come here after doing a 6 week electrical course in england(16th edition)
but thats cool im happy
got a good job inbetweeen wiring switchboards for which no license is needed, paying $30 an hour

Mike Mitchell 1981 Feb 4th 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info Wendy my job sounds similiar to that of your OH's. I have to connect and disconnect all electrical equipment on our sites and fault find on all equipment basically if it's electrical then it's up to us to maintain it.:)

Thanks Mike

Mike Mitchell 1981 Feb 4th 2008 5:02 pm

Hi Scotty thanks for the reply I suppose ill just have to grin and bare it. I am hoping that ill get back into the water industry, but if not I am sure there will be plenty of other work.
Has it took you 4 months to get your ARTC and take your aussie regs or have you not taken the exam yet?

cheers
Mike

Huggkat Feb 6th 2008 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 5736021)
I am a time served maintenance electrician with my HNC/HND working in the water and wastewater industry in the north of England. My fiancee and I are hoping to apply for a permament visa to Oz in May once we have lived together for a year(one of the requirments stated on the visa aplication). My fiancee has already had her skills assessed and passed her IELTS she is a teacher so I haven't needed to have my skils assessed. I have found the forum really useful but it has worried me slightly about what order I need to do things when I get to Oz. I would really appreciate it if anyne could send me in the right direction. we are hoping to move to the goldcoast.

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can I just ask - how come you haven't had to have your skills assessed just because your OH has? Don't you need to have yours assessed aswell to prove you can do the work? It's just that I'm a Nurse and my OH is an Electrician and I was under the impression that we both have to have our skills assessed - but of course, if we can get away with one of us not having to then it will save lots of money and time.

Cheers

Kathryn :)

Mike Mitchell 1981 Feb 6th 2008 5:27 pm

Hi Kathryn

Because we are both under 30yrs old we don't need the extra 5 points that would be granted for having both our skills assessed. My OH is a teacher and she scores 125 points on her own, having sat her IELTS. :)

regards

Mike

steve`o Feb 6th 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Huggkat (Post 5893851)
Hi Mike,

Can I just ask - how come you haven't had to have your skills assessed just because your OH has? Don't you need to have yours assessed aswell to prove you can do the work? It's just that I'm a Nurse and my OH is an Electrician and I was under the impression that we both have to have our skills assessed - but of course, if we can get away with one of us not having to then it will save lots of money and time.

Cheers

Kathryn :)

you only need to test both if you need the additional 5 points for spouse skills if you can score enough on you own the other goes along as wife / husband
and as your a nurse it would be easier and cheaper for you to apply for thevisa and your husband too go along as spouse

he can get together all his details etc and as soon as you have your visa apply for an artc which will be needed for licencing

hope this helps

regards steve

Huggkat Feb 7th 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 5895160)
Hi Kathryn

Because we are both under 30yrs old we don't need the extra 5 points that would be granted for having both our skills assessed. My OH is a teacher and she scores 125 points on her own, having sat her IELTS. :)

regards

Mike

Oh, I see - its all making sense now.

Thanks (and thanks to Steve 'o - I've replied to yours but don't know where its gone!) :thumbsup:

Karen Ledamun Feb 8th 2008 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 5879895)
Hi wendy and steve sorry to bother you again but i have another question. As i am a maintenance electrician I beleive from reading through the immigration site that the closest job to mine would be the electrician special class. I am right in thinking though the job description i put on the artc form would still be electrical mechanic?

thanks

mike

Hi Mike,
Be aware that if you choose the wrong classification (ie Fitter / mechanic etc) the red tape in QLD can be a nightmare. Both myself and my partner came over with Fitter trade certificates (both worked as shift Electrician in a large factory in Berks for over 15 years) to discover being a maintenace techie here requires you to be a fitter and mechanic. Coming here with just the fitters certificate meant Greg had to return to college to complete a mechanics course just to get a job he was already qualified to do.

But got to say well worth the effort.
Karen

Mike Mitchell 1981 Feb 8th 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Karen Ledamun (Post 5902732)
Hi Mike,
Be aware that if you choose the wrong classification (ie Fitter / mechanic etc) the red tape in QLD can be a nightmare. Both myself and my partner came over with Fitter trade certificates (both worked as shift Electrician in a large factory in Berks for over 15 years) to discover being a maintenace techie here requires you to be a fitter and mechanic. Coming here with just the fitters certificate meant Greg had to return to college to complete a mechanics course just to get a job he was already qualified to do.

But got to say well worth the effort.
Karen

Hi Karen does that mean on the ARTC form I need to write electrical fitter/mechanic or just electrical mechanic to get classed as both. From the info I have read on other posts I knew it was the electrical mechanic's licence I needed but I presumed that if they classed you as a mechanic you would automatically be able to fill the role of electrical fitter as well.

Thanks

Mike

Wendy Feb 8th 2008 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 5904338)
Hi Karen does that mean on the ARTC form I need to write electrical fitter/mechanic or just electrical mechanic to get classed as both. From the info I have read on other posts I knew it was the electrical mechanic's licence I needed but I presumed that if they classed you as a mechanic you would automatically be able to fill the role of electrical fitter as well.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Forget about mechanic and fitters thing for a minute as it can get confusing, except to say that an ARTC for electrical fitter is not good enough in some states to get a full licence immediately. For most electrical jobs you need the full licence, even in a maintenance job. If you only get the restricted licence then you would be on less money.

Some states (like South Australia) it doesn't matter which class the ARTC says you are, you can still apply for a full licence.

It also doesn't matter what you tell the TRA you want to be classed as, they will place you in the category they think you fall in to. Best bet if you are a maintenance electrician is try to avoid too much talk of machines, and concentrate on the wiring and electrical side of your job. :)

youngy73 Feb 9th 2008 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981 (Post 5904338)

Thanks

Mike

you have presumed correctly. in qld a mechanic can do all aspects of electrical work including that of an electrical fitter. my qualifications are the same as yours and i got classed as electricain special class by the tra but as an electrical mechanic on my artc. just emphasise the installation work that you do.

Mike Mitchell 1981 Feb 9th 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks Wendy and Youngy ill make sure i base my write up more on the installation work I do. It all seems alot clearer now:)

cheers

Mike