Licensing question

Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:25 am
Just Joined

gavsydney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Licensing question

Hi guys,

Im in a bit of a predicament and was hoping for some help...

I lost my job in january and decided to come out to oz as I have family in sydney. I contacted a visa agency who 'explained' the licensing system in oz. The trouble is that the person who explained it hadnt a clue what they were talking about. Unfortunatly I trusted their info any made my way out.

I arrived in sydney 3 weeks ago and immediately applied to TRA for assessment. The 10 working days expired on friday and I know it can take longer so I'm trying to be patient. My problem is that the f***wit from the visa agency told me the TRA = ARTC. :curse:

I have just realised that I now need to apply for the ARTC when I get my TRA cert. This has set me back at least a month. Im supposed to be going to Karratha, WA shortly to work as a TA for a major construction company.

Trouble is I dont think I can work as TA without having a restricted license.

So just to be 100% clear, the process is:

1. Apply to TRA
2. Upon recieving TRA cert, Apply to ARTC
I can now get a restricted license???????
3. Go to PEER for wiring rules course
4. Sit exam
5. Apply for license
6. Change SA license to WA license

Is the above correct?

I cant believe this has happened. I guess I should have studied this forum better but I was under the gun leaving and foolishly trusted an agency.

Thanks in advance,

Gav
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: Licensing question

Hello All,

Gav, which visa are you here on, unless it a perm resident or sponsed work visa you will not get a ARTC, if you have one of the above visa then you only need apply for a ARTC, TRA is not required.

To work has a TA, you do not require any licence

1. Apply to TRA
(not required)

(takes 30 days, be sure the submission is comphensive)

(You can, but i would do the correspondence at peer and obtain the full licence, once again make sure you do the work or they will turn you away)
4. Sit exam
5. Apply for license

Hope this helps, the peer course takes any thing for two weeks full time to several months, dependant on your study tech.

Regards

Kevin
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:46 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gavsydney
Hi guys,

Im in a bit of a predicament and was hoping for some help...

I lost my job in january and decided to come out to oz as I have family in sydney. I contacted a visa agency who 'explained' the licensing system in oz. The trouble is that the person who explained it hadnt a clue what they were talking about. Unfortunatly I trusted their info any made my way out.

I arrived in sydney 3 weeks ago and immediately applied to TRA for assessment. The 10 working days expired on friday and I know it can take longer so I'm trying to be patient. My problem is that the f***wit from the visa agency told me the TRA = ARTC. :curse:

I have just realised that I now need to apply for the ARTC when I get my TRA cert. This has set me back at least a month. Im supposed to be going to Karratha, WA shortly to work as a TA for a major construction company.

Trouble is I dont think I can work as TA without having a restricted license.

So just to be 100% clear, the process is:

1. Apply to TRA
4. Sit exam
5. Apply for license

Is the above correct?

I cant believe this has happened. I guess I should have studied this forum better but I was under the gun leaving and foolishly trusted an agency.

Thanks in advance,

Gav
how have you got here ?? working visa or holiday visa ??
on on a spouses visa ??
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys.

Im here on a working holiday visa with the intention to get sponsored and change over to a 457.

So you cant get licensed on a working holiday visa? I was told you can.

Ive been told I wont have a problem getting sponsored by the company but want to get as 'qualified' as possible

Last edited by gavsydney; Mar 9th 2009 at 11:32 am.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:56 am
Just Joined

I phoned the ARTC issueing dept today. You can get ARTC on a working holiday visa.

All that depression last night for nothing...
Old Mar 10th 2009, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Just one more thing.

How much is a SA license and how much is it to change it to a WA license?

Just working out a total cost here...
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

SA licence is $350 & WA licence is another $350. In comparison, QLD licence is $58 and NSW is $177.
Dave
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:25 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hunt66
SA licence is $350 & WA licence is another $350. In comparison, QLD licence is $58 and NSW is $177.
Dave
Dont think you have to pay twice hunt

CLICKY

Dougie
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

He asked how much a Sa licence cost and how much to transfer to WA, just answering the question mate, but to be honest all the jobs advertised here in QLD ask for a QLD licence so its worth paying again if thats what it takes to get work.
Dave.
Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Dont think you have to pay twice hunt

CLICKY

Dougie
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. So when you transfer from SA to WA license can you still keep your SA license?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

yes.

Originally Posted by gavsydney
Thanks for the info. So when you transfer from SA to WA license can you still keep your SA license?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:06 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

He asked how much a Sa licence cost and how much to transfer to WA, just answering the question mate, but to be honest all the jobs advertised here in QLD ask for a QLD licence so its worth paying again if thats what it takes to get work.
Dave.
Arrrrr the mist clears some more!!

Sorry mate i thought that once you had one you were good to go all over the country.

But you do actually need to change the physicall license at a cost that you mentioned but of course the grade will be honoured and there is no need for any further paperwork / exams i figure???

What type of work are you doing and is there much about near you Hunt?

I dont trust the WWW with all the agencies advertising non-existint jobs as they do here

Thanks

Dougie
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

That's right, no further exam just fill out mutual recognition form and form 11 i think it was and 1 week later you get your new licence. I'm sure this mutual recognition thing is so you can apply for a licence easy rather than what licence you do have being valied everywhere. As for work, been applying for everything since December and no luck yet.
Dave.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:13 pm
Swollen Member

As for work, been applying for everything since December and no luck yet.
Dave.

Shit mate thats no good is it?

What type of work dop you do, or is there really nothing at all out there at the minute?

Sounds grim on all accounts, dont think i could afford to be out of work for 3 mths

Hope you get something soon mate

Best of Luck

Dougie
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Glapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really niceGlapper is just really nice

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Shit mate thats no good is it?

What type of work dop you do, or is there really nothing at all out there at the minute?

Sounds grim on all accounts, dont think i could afford to be out of work for 3 mths

Hope you get something soon mate

Best of Luck

Dougie
I have been here for just over 3 weeks now and have been offered 2 jobs so far. I think it will depend upon what type of electrical work you are looking at - I'm in the Electrical Maintenance field living in Brisbane.

The Day shift roles seem to be pretty rare at the moment when you speak to agents but there is still quite a few shift based roles. I've decided to accept a slightly lower paid job in order to get a day shift position.

By the way they are all asking for a QLD License so in my opinion it's well worth the $58.30 to get a QLD License via the interstate recognition after gaining the SA License. (Peer route)

Good Luck to anyone still looking - Fingers crossed it picks up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.