Learn A Trade for Canada

Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learn A Trade for Canada

Hi,

I am currently working as a firefighter and have been thinking about training as an electrician or as a plumber for my days off.

I have planning to go to my local college open day on the 10th Aug and get futher advice regarding courses and my suitability.

I'll be completely honest, I want to learn one of these trades in particular because as I understand it with 1 years FTE experience i will have an occupation on the fsw list and not require an employer to sponsor me.

This is just about getting PR, I do have a genuine interest in the construction industry and see it as great way to spend my 4 days off and earn a bit of cash on the side.

I understand an apprentice wage is peanuts but that really doesn't bother me as it will keep me busy while friends are at work and some extra cash for beer!

I am have looked into the TV adverts/scams and paying £6000+ just doesn't do it for me, I am hoping a I can squeeze in a part time course around my shifts.

So my question's are:

Do you have to be fully qualified before applying for PR under either of these occupations?

If I apply under FSW do i have to prove I can complete the RED SEAL Program?

What qualifications are essential before I can start work as an electrician or plumber apprentice/helper, and would that time count towards my 1 Full Time Equivelent year?

Which occupation is most likely to take on a young lad for 4 days out of 8, and does anyone have any contacts or suggestions for me to gain employment.

Thankyou,

Phil