Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

just on with the peer workbook

just on with the peer workbook

Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice
Default just on with the peer workbook

to be honest..........i`m not the best with paperwork !! as i suppose most sparks are`nt !

when i 1st recieved it i flicked through and thought this is gonna take weeks

i`m 10 days into now (3 hrs a day sometimes 4 or 5) and have about 20 pages or so left (theres 130 with 4 or 5 question per page) and i`m actually quite enjoying it

its reminds me very much of doing the 16th edition course on day release 3 years ago...........the point of this?.........its not that daunting after all
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Mike Mitchell 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just on with the peer workbook

Best of luck for the exam Nigel, like you say it's not all that daunting, if you put the work in and finish the book then you can sail throught the exam.
I attained my licence back in Feb by going the PEER route and the guys there are really helpful, as long as you have put the effort in and completed the book.
One guy turned up there from Perth and hadn't bothered to complete the book so they wouldn't let him sit the exam without finishing the book, needless to say he had a flight to catch so he had to return home without his licence.
They have a quick look over your book but thats about it, I spent about 2/3rds of the first day revising and going over the maximum demand with them and then they let me start the exam and finish it on the second day.

best of luck

Mike
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981
Best of luck for the exam Nigel, like you say it's not all that daunting, if you put the work in and finish the book then you can sail throught the exam.
I attained my licence back in Feb by going the PEER route and the guys there are really helpful, as long as you have put the effort in and completed the book.
One guy turned up there from Perth and hadn't bothered to complete the book so they wouldn't let him sit the exam without finishing the book, needless to say he had a flight to catch so he had to return home without his licence.
They have a quick look over your book but thats about it, I spent about 2/3rds of the first day revising and going over the maximum demand with them and then they let me start the exam and finish it on the second day.

best of luck

Mike

yeah thanks for that mike

max demand is quite an eye opener over here.....10a sockts 15a sockts !!! threw me a bit until i read through it and 50% load current for a range !

its actually suprising how much you learn from reading (wish i`d listened at school more) !

i`m not the best with exams and stuff ,but thanks, you kinda put my mind at rest a bit
i`ll yet ya know how i get on

cheers for the wishes

Last edited by nigel and wendy; Sep 15th 2009 at 12:45 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

10 days into it and youve already done 110 pages! Thats an effort.
Im trying to get into it but keep getting distracted, decided im going to start doing it at the local library!
good luck

Originally Posted by nigel and wendy
to be honest..........i`m not the best with paperwork !! as i suppose most sparks are`nt !

when i 1st recieved it i flicked through and thought this is gonna take weeks

i`m 10 days into now (3 hrs a day sometimes 4 or 5) and have about 20 pages or so left (theres 130 with 4 or 5 question per page) and i`m actually quite enjoying it

its reminds me very much of doing the 16th edition course on day release 3 years ago...........the point of this?.........its not that daunting after all
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

I found the Max Demand questions the trickiest part of the whole book!.

It takes a bit of getting used too!.

God bless the 32A Ring Main circuit!....:-D

You'll never see one is Aus!

Watch out for the Voltage Drop Calcs and Current Carrying Capacity Calcs, very similar to how we do it here but different enough to seriously screw you if you're not careful!. The tabulated values are for three phase VD you need to correct them for 1ph!.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonsparx
10 days into it and youve already done 110 pages! Thats an effort.
Im trying to get into it but keep getting distracted, decided im going to start doing it at the local library!
good luck
i must admit ive skipped some pages,well a few, that i need to go back too !!

i hav plenty of quiet time,the wife starts work at 6 finishes at 2.30 so not too bad.

Originally Posted by daviec33
I found the Max Demand questions the trickiest part of the whole book!.

It takes a bit of getting used too!.

God bless the 32A Ring Main circuit!....:-D

You'll never see one is Aus!

Watch out for the Voltage Drop Calcs and Current Carrying Capacity Calcs, very similar to how we do it here but different enough to seriously screw you if you're not careful!. The tabulated values are for three phase VD you need to correct them for 1ph!.

some of the pages ive skipped but the max demand needs reading a few times over.i`m not too bad on CCC but will hav to revise VD

cheers lads
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:15 am
Just Joined

lbb_1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

i must admit ive skipped some pages,well a few, that i need to go back too !!

i hav plenty of quiet time,the wife starts work at 6 finishes at 2.30 so not too bad.

some of the pages ive skipped but the max demand needs reading a few times over.i`m not too bad on CCC but will hav to revise VD

cheers lads
Good Day Mate!

Have you done the actual exam at PEER?How's the maximum demand calculation goes?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lbb_1974
Good Day Mate!

Have you done the actual exam at PEER?How's the maximum demand calculation goes?
not yet...........waiting for a conformation email back with dates etc .

max demand...............you need the regs book to work it out,it gives you diversaty values (e.g. range/cooker is 50% max load)number of light points/sockets @10a/skts @15a etc etc for domestic installations or number of multiple units(hotels and stuff).

table c1 page 350..............you made me lose my page i was on now !!

Last edited by nigel and wendy; Sep 16th 2009 at 2:53 am.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

max demand...............you need the regs book to work it out,it gives you diversaty values (e.g. range/cooker is 50% max load)number of light points/sockets @10a/skts @15a etc etc for domestic installations or number of multiple units(hotels and stuff).

ooooppppppppsss sorry about that but i'm sure you are doing the right thing as long as you will use the Table C1 Properly.I ahve done that already and presently doing the Non-domestic.My PEER exam will be in 3 weeks time
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Yeah mate, I did it in Jan this year!.

Like I said, make sure your Max Demand, VD and CCC calcs are up to scratch. That's the make or break section in my opinion.

If you look through my previous posts I'm sure I posted after I did it giving some pointers on what questions were the "biggies".
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lbb_1974
ooooppppppppsss sorry about that but i'm sure you are doing the right thing as long as you will use the Table C1 Properly.I ahve done that already and presently doing the Non-domestic.My PEER exam will be in 3 weeks time
ah sorry i misunderstood i thought you were askin how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!

have you had the dates back from peer then?? was it emily that sorted it out for you??
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daviec33
Yeah mate, I did it in Jan this year!.

Like I said, make sure your Max Demand, VD and CCC calcs are up to scratch. That's the make or break section in my opinion.

If you look through my previous posts I'm sure I posted after I did it giving some pointers on what questions were the "biggies".
cheers for the heads up mate i`ll probably end up ringing them for some help with VD............its been a while
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

ah sorry i misunderstood i thought you were askin how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!

have you had the dates back from peer then?? was it emily that sorted it out for you??
no it was my instructor named Jess and he is very helpful if you got any doubts on your answers.when are going to take the test?i'm heading there on 6th of October
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:09 am
Just Joined

cheers for the heads up mate i`ll probably end up ringing them for some help with VD............its been a while
you have to refer your VD calculations in AS/NZS 3008 .that's included in your workbook materials