i need some advice please

Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Susi_Ash will become famous soon enough
Question i need some advice please

hello ladies and gents

i've read and read and things start to fall into place.
thanks to all your great advice and knowledge

but of course there is always more questions!

we are just a little bit confused and need, i guess, reassurance

firstly what to actually apply for?

a breakdown of OH skills:
apprenticeship: dual skill craftsman (501.502.503.521.523.525.530.582)
city&guilds 201 & 214 mechanical/electrical engineering 1-3 (in 1994)
his current employment = technician (in charge of plant maintenance, plc, flow calibration)

and we can't make our mind up for what to apply really for the TRA
gen. electrician? electrical (special class)? fitter? - because he feels most comfortable with 'mechanic' but that's nowhere on the list.

i realised there seems to be a big difference to what he can do once assessed?!?!?

did i read it wrong that in total he has to apply for 3 different things?
1) TRA 2) ARTc 3) A licence - and then he is qualified for it all?

secondly) i understand that his assessment for the ARTc can be different to the original TRA one? - so basically the TRA is just to get 'in' - and then the ARTC is the 'important' one? as i read somwhere (steve?) you then can apply for electrical mechanic?

i hope this all makes sense. like wendy i am 'in charge' of the paperwork (we thought we'd try without an agent ) - and well, it's rather daunting!

thanks alot for all your help!
please bare with me

Susi

btw: we will be going to adelaide!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i need some advice please

I'm not familiar with your hubby's qualifications so I'd say the best thing to do is speak to an agent, at least then you'll have an idea of what he is able to apply as.

It was quite easy for us as my hubby is a city & guilds qualified electrician but he did work in a factory on PLC's etc. We actually passed as electrician because most of his work was electrical, rather that the 'fixing' of machines which is what I think you are saying your hubby does.??

If we'd tried to apply on his 'fixing' skills we wouldn't have passed the TRA.

Get a free assessment from an agent, and then get back to me or Steve with questions (you don't HAVE to employ the agent, they will give you 10 - 20 mins free ) Try www.visabureau.co.uk for a start
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'm not familiar with your hubby's qualifications so I'd say the best thing to do is speak to an agent, at least then you'll have an idea of what he is able to apply as.

It was quite easy for us as my hubby is a city & guilds qualified electrician but he did work in a factory on PLC's etc. We actually passed as electrician because most of his work was electrical, rather that the 'fixing' of machines which is what I think you are saying your hubby does.??

If we'd tried to apply on his 'fixing' skills we wouldn't have passed the TRA.

Get a free assessment from an agent, and then get back to me or Steve with questions (you don't HAVE to employ the agent, they will give you 10 - 20 mins free ) Try www.visabureau.co.uk for a start
thanks Wendy for your quick reply!!!!
yep, 'fixing' is OH's passion
but since he's 'dual skilled' i thought the more to apply for the better?!?!?

we'll talk to an agent then ...

i am certain lots more questions will pop up soon

Susi
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:27 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

general electrician = electrical mechanic or electrical fitter it depends on the artc application further on down the line
the term general electricain is only used at migration stage

regards steve
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susi_Ash
thanks Wendy for your quick reply!!!!
yep, 'fixing' is OH's passion
but since he's 'dual skilled' i thought the more to apply for the better?!?!?

we'll talk to an agent then ...

i am certain lots more questions will pop up soon

Susi

That's what we thought too, but our agent said not to confuse the issue and just stick to the electrical side of it all. It cut our paperwork down by half so I wasn't too bothered
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

gareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant future
Cool Perth Mining Aclass? special class or electrician mechanic

Dear All,

Hi I'm Gareth and will be moving to Perth in June providing our Visa is processed at the current speedy rate that all the other Oct 06 applications seem to be going

I have a question regarding the difference between the ARTC classifications.

I went for the Visa 136 MODL the TRA initially assessed me as an Electrician Special Class.
Now I'm going for the australian recognised trade certificate I want to know which would be more useful:

Electrician Special Class or
Electrical Mechanic

I have the skills to apply for both of these.
Which would be more useful for working in the mining environment around Perth and do they both allow me to obtain the A class license?

Many thanks
Gareth
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

gareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant futuregareth99edwards has a brilliant future

Ps The elec special class doesn't seem to be on the ARTC web for assessment purposes?????????? just mech rrrr!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Perth Mining Aclass? special class or electrician mechanic

Originally Posted by gareth99edwards
Dear All,

Hi I'm Gareth and will be moving to Perth in June providing our Visa is processed at the current speedy rate that all the other Oct 06 applications seem to be going

I went for the Visa 136 MODL the TRA initially assessed me as an Electrician Special Class.
Now I'm going for the australian recognised trade certificate I want to know which would be more useful:

Electrical Mechanic

Which would be more useful for working in the mining environment around Perth and do they both allow me to obtain the A class license?

Many thanks
Gareth

The ARTC certificate is only issued in either Mechanic or Fitter class. There is no special class. When you send in all your paperwork again the TRA will classify you according to your skills anyway. It's better to go for the mechanic though as in some states a fitter on the ARTC cert can't apply for a full, unrestricted licence.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

thanks again for all your replies
i've contacted an agent and they'll call me today!
i'll bombard you then with more questions

Wendy: if that's how they want it they'll get it! - doesn't make 100% sense to me though
i just don't want to 'complicate' things for OH for the ARTc and getting the a license in the end iykwim

Steve: that makes it much clearer!

Susi
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Susi_Ash
thanks again for all your replies
i've contacted an agent and they'll call me today!
i'll bombard you then with more questions

Wendy: if that's how they want it they'll get it! - doesn't make 100% sense to me though
i just don't want to 'complicate' things for OH for the ARTc and getting the a license in the end iykwim

Steve: that makes it much clearer!

Susi
It didn't to me either. I thought 'well he knows more than just a normal sparky, so why will it stop him getting it' but they know best so just went with it Worked anyway, so no complaints now
Old Feb 24th 2007, 1:50 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gareth99edwards
Dear All,

Electrical Mechanic

Many thanks
Gareth
thats the same as me mate and they gave electrical mechanic. i have seen jobs advertised here where they ask for "electrician special class" and its usually followed by experience in plc's and things that take a little more thought than your average spark ( more the electronics side of things). when i had my interview with tra he took a quick look at my certs and references and said electrical mechanic and that was that. in QLD the electrical mechanic cert will get you pretty much any electrical position
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by youngy73
thats the same as me mate and they gave electrical mechanic. i have seen jobs advertised here where they ask for "electrician special class" and its usually followed by experience in plc's and things that take a little more thought than your average spark ( more the electronics side of things). when i had my interview with tra he took a quick look at my certs and references and said electrical mechanic and that was that. in QLD the electrical mechanic cert will get you pretty much any electrical position

Yep here too (SA)

Hubby got the mechanic class and now works in a factory with PLC's etc (electronics and what not), whether that's 'special class' or not I don't know but once you get an unrestricted licence (A class or whatever, depending on the state) then you can pretty much work anywhere
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

wendy i think the main difference between Fitter & Mechanic is as you may have suggested a fitter would be working with things like motors & plc gear where the mechanic is doing things like switchboards cabling & that kind of work.

I know the exams are completely different i was looking at some exams for the fitter, i thought shit this is different its been that long ago.

arthur
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
wendy i think the main difference between Fitter & Mechanic is as you may have suggested a fitter would be working with things like motors & plc gear where the mechanic is doing things like switchboards cabling & that kind of work.

I know the exams are completely different i was looking at some exams for the fitter, i thought shit this is different its been that long ago.

arthur

Yes, you are right with that Arthur, that's how I always thought it was. But since looking into things for SA I found out that providing you've got your ARTC and a pass in the wiring rules exam you can get an unrestricted licence. I know in Queensland you can only get the unrestricted (or it's equivalent) with a fitters ARTC. I think SA changed all it's rules a bit since.

It's gets more confusing that's for sure