Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

How much experience is required?

How much experience is required?

Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice
Default How much experience is required?

The hubby, the kids and I have been umming and arring about emigrating for a number of years now. We initially decided on NZ, and the plan was that we would be heading off in a year or two, but what with the recession etc it has put our plans on hold for a few more years.

We decided to look at other options and have fallen in love with Perth. We have also both decided to retrain as we have a few years on our hands.

I want to retrain as a hairdresser (from office manager) and he as an electrician (from HGV driver and machine operator).

Our local college does adult intensive courses two evenings per week for electrical installations, C&G 2/3 stage 1,2 & 3 (2330) as well as other electrical courses he would need to do.

After speaking to the college, we have been told it will take him approximately 2 years to become fully qualified on the fast track course, and it would be beneficial for him to become an electricians apprentice or junior electrician during the first year, which we were expecting. However, his age especially for Australia, goes against us. He is already 40! Does that mean that although he may be qualified, he will not be deemed as sufficiently experienced before he is 45?

I would imagine if that is the case, the focus would move back to NZ, as they will accept you up to the age of 55. Although, being 3 years younger than him, perhaps I could get us in at a later point as a fully qualified hairdresser?

Anyway, since they don't make things easy, after much research I was directed to the VETASSESS website and have downloaded all of the relevant information. According to their website it states that a general electrician should be trained to a certain standard with a minimum of two years experience, yet according to people on this forum, as well as many others on the web, a minimum of 7 years is actually required... could anyone actually clarify that for me?

According to VETASSESS, if he is deemed qualified enough, he will be issued with a temporary license and will be required to undertake a course to bring him to Australian standards, and also complete one years work experience within Australia before he is granted his full license... but now I am worried that this is perhaps a tad on the optimistic side!

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:02 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much experience is required?

The hubby, the kids and I have been umming and arring about emigrating for a number of years now. We initially decided on NZ, and the plan was that we would be heading off in a year or two, but what with the recession etc it has put our plans on hold for a few more years.

We decided to look at other options and have fallen in love with Perth. We have also both decided to retrain as we have a few years on our hands.

I want to retrain as a hairdresser (from office manager) and he as an electrician (from HGV driver and machine operator).

Our local college does adult intensive courses two evenings per week for electrical installations, C&G 2/3 stage 1,2 & 3 (2330) as well as other electrical courses he would need to do.

After speaking to the college, we have been told it will take him approximately 2 years to become fully qualified on the fast track course, and it would be beneficial for him to become an electricians apprentice or junior electrician during the first year, which we were expecting. However, his age especially for Australia, goes against us. He is already 40! Does that mean that although he may be qualified, he will not be deemed as sufficiently experienced before he is 45?

I would imagine if that is the case, the focus would move back to NZ, as they will accept you up to the age of 55. Although, being 3 years younger than him, perhaps I could get us in at a later point as a fully qualified hairdresser?

i`d check this one with an immigration / visa company as i`m sure haridresser has been removed from the skilled list try looking up one of the following, initial consulations are usually free and you can get a load of accurate info this way

http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

http://austimmigration.com.au/site/?q=node/6

Anyway, since they don't make things easy, after much research I was directed to the VETASSESS website and have downloaded all of the relevant information. According to their website it states that a general electrician should be trained to a certain standard with a minimum of two years experience, yet according to people on this forum, as well as many others on the web, a minimum of 7 years is actually required... could anyone actually clarify that for me?

thats because your listening to info regarding two differing assesment processes tra - trade recognistion australia the tra require minimum 7yrs if your not skilled via an approved apprenticed trade route and vettesess, vettesess assess for migration only in several countries including uk having just read through vetteses site again i cannot find anywhere a minimum experiance or time in your to be assessed vocation it seems to rely more on do you have the correct certificates and can you pass the practical exam ( quite a lot of seasoned sparks have buggered the practical exam up )

According to VETASSESS, if he is deemed qualified enough, he will be issued with a temporary license and will be required to undertake a course to bring him to Australian standards, and also complete one years work experience within Australia before he is granted his full license... but now I am worried that this is perhaps a tad on the optimistic side!

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated
Old Jul 8th 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

kazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nicekazmac72 is just really nice
Default Re: How much experience is required?

Originally Posted by steve`o

i`d check this one with an immigration / visa company as i`m sure haridresser has been removed from the skilled list try looking up one of the following, initial consulations are usually free and you can get a load of accurate info this way

http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

http://austimmigration.com.au/site/?q=node/6

thats because your listening to info regarding two differing assesment processes tra - trade recognistion australia the tra require minimum 7yrs if your not skilled via an approved apprenticed trade route and vettesess, vettesess assess for migration only in several countries including uk having just read through vetteses site again i cannot find anywhere a minimum experiance or time in your to be assessed vocation it seems to rely more on do you have the correct certificates and can you pass the practical exam ( quite a lot of seasoned sparks have buggered the practical exam up )

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated
Thanks so much for the info, we obviously have some time on our side and I will use it to find out as much information as is humanly possible!!