HNC recognition in Oz

Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

bkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nicebkelly is just really nice
Default HNC recognition in Oz

I'm currently working as a maintenance electrician but served my time as an installation electrician. I want to move to Australia and work but i've noticed how hard that actually is to achieve. I'm thinking about doing an HNC course in Electrical/Electronic Engineering but don't know if this will be of any use to me in Oz. If i do it before i go will i have to do it all over again when i get to Australia or will it be recognized and be of any use to me? Has anyone got any info on this at all?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Mick Rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HNC recognition in Oz

Originally Posted by bkelly
I'm currently working as a maintenance electrician but served my time as an installation electrician. I want to move to Australia and work but i've noticed how hard that actually is to achieve. I'm thinking about doing an HNC course in Electrical/Electronic Engineering but don't know if this will be of any use to me in Oz. If i do it before i go will i have to do it all over again when i get to Australia or will it be recognized and be of any use to me? Has anyone got any info on this at all?
Hello,
I am the electrician who submitted the post re:Electricians coming to oz.
From my experiance so far the Australian Government do not recognise any UK qualifications. Even if you have an HNC you will still not be able to work immediately until you have reapplied to the TRA for assessment upon your arrival in OZ. I am a well qualified Electrician with 16th edition and 2391 testing and inspection qualifications with over 20 years of experience. Generally If you want to work on arrival you may get a job as a trades assistant. I have my TRA assessment due on the 15th of December this identifys how much further education is required to meet their requirements.
I will let you know how i get on.

Hope this helps

Mick
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My hubby is also a maintenance electrician. He also has all the installation electrician qualifications and experience.

Once he got his ARTC (Electrical Mechanic) from the TRA and got through the wiring rules course, he had a job within a week. This took him 4 months (but he kept putting the course off )

My advice to you is, don't waste your time on doing any more courses in the UK as you will only have to convert your qualifactions once here. Just find out all you can about what you need to do once here and focus on getting it done.

Where abouts are you intending to move to? and when? I'll find the links for you
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Prettypegagirl is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me if the South African Installation Electrician Qualifications will be valid in the UK? Sorry for asking here, but I saw that it is almost the same question to what I need an answer for
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

carlos1340 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my HNC recognised as 'comparable' with an Advanced Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 5:16 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

i got an hnc and heaps of other pieces of paper that tell me im highly qualified. did no good at all and im now bashing houses to get my licence.something id never done before . needs must.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carlos1340
I had my HNC recognised as 'comparable' with an Advanced Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
What body did u apply to, to get your HNC recognised as an Advanced Diploma and was it onerous, ie exams etc.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:41 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thrud
What body did u apply to, to get your HNC recognised as an Advanced Diploma and was it onerous, ie exams etc.
got recognised as electrician special class by tra but had an interview in sydney when i first got here 4 years ago to get trades certificate. the guy wasnt interested in my onc, hnc. just wanted to see my city and guilds certs. recognised me as electrical mechanic. didnt take it much further than that as it was getting complicated. came to oz for a more relaxed life ( was sick of working 60 to 70 hours a week) and didnt want the hassles. have been back sparking for a couple of months now after a couple of years off.only got back into it to stop the wife nagging that id let all my uk trade go to waste. thats the beauty of the 136 visa. get that and when your here you can do what you want.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

OP - bkelly... To cut a long story short. Please don't waste your time and money doing an HNC before heading orf to Aus.... Let me explain.

I got approved for my (Engineering, Electronics) trades certificate whilst on holiday (as a perm resident in Aus 1998). I returned to the UK for a further 2 years (whilst waiting for the mi55us to get her visa).... During this time I completed an HNC in Electrical Engineering (with many merit grades)

On my return to Aus in 2000, no kant was interested in the Electrical HNC... I duly found work back in the electronic security industry, which was always me bread & butter anyway.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Dont bother with the uk HNC/HND its not worth a toss here, i have HNC/HND electrical/electronic/micro electronics 2nd year Uni maths not worth a toss here mate, you will still have to do the A class license.

I would talk to wendy on here her hubby did the A class in S/A and its lots easier there, you can then always apply to have the license registered in the state you will be working in i have checked that myself.

arthur
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

you take all your original certificates to the over seas unit in the state your in get copies signed and they will give you the super duper worth **** all cert as a B grade if your lucky, that means you can only work Supervised, not even connect a frigging socket on your own.

get the A class mate then your on your way

arthur
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Dont bother with the uk HNC/HND its not worth a toss here, i have HNC/HND electrical/electronic/micro electronics 2nd year Uni maths not worth a toss here mate, you will still have to do the A class license.

I would talk to wendy on here her hubby did the A class in S/A and its lots easier there, you can then always apply to have the license registered in the state you will be working in i have checked that myself.

arthur

Easy as

The guys to talk to are PEER Training in SA. They run a course which at the most takes 7 days (2 days per week then one day at the end, so 3 and half weeks AT MOST) it's done in your own time, so it can be quicker or shorter (They can't do the exam before the 3rd week though!)

They will send all the course work to any state in Oz, when you are ready to do the exam all you need to do is come down here to sit it. I'm not sure what happens next, but these guys do this all the time for Aussie blokes all over Oz.

Ring them and they will explain it all to you, the guys there are fantastic and one of them is mates with the guy at the TRA
Old Sep 10th 2007, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Gauteng is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Prettypegagirl
Can anyone tell me if the South African Installation Electrician Qualifications will be valid in the UK? Sorry for asking here, but I saw that it is almost the same question to what I need an answer for
Hi Prettypeggirl did you ever find out if the south african wiremans licence is valid in the uk please let me know as we are intrested in moving to the uk next year
Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Prettypegagirl is on a distinguished road

No, one needs to do the exams again over there.