Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Here's a Restricted Licence Question

Here's a Restricted Licence Question

Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:17 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice
Default Here's a Restricted Licence Question

I thought I would be better off posting this question on the electricians forum, as you all seem quite knowledgable.

I only need a restricted electrical licence for Queensland, however even with an ARTC as a refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic, the licensing people as well as QET have said I still may need to work under supervision to satisfy licencing requirements. I had alwayd thought that with an ARTC they would accept a restricted licence application.

My job is supposed to start on 16th Sept, but not having a licence is a setback. The other option I had thought was to apply for one from SA and then get a Queensland one that way. Apparently without it I can't really touch any refrigeration controls etc.

Thanks for reading this
James
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's a Restricted Licence Question

Originally Posted by iceman
I thought I would be better off posting this question on the electricians forum, as you all seem quite knowledgable.

I only need a restricted electrical licence for Queensland, however even with an ARTC as a refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic, the licensing people as well as QET have said I still may need to work under supervision to satisfy licencing requirements. I had alwayd thought that with an ARTC they would accept a restricted licence application.

My job is supposed to start on 16th Sept, but not having a licence is a setback. The other option I had thought was to apply for one from SA and then get a Queensland one that way. Apparently without it I can't really touch any refrigeration controls etc.

Thanks for reading this
James

Not sure about QLD, but in SA you can get a restricted licence with just an ARTC certificate. Look on http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf for details.

Licence application form here (costs $338):

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...ship_07web.pdf
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:12 am
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
Not sure about QLD, but in SA you can get a restricted licence with just an ARTC certificate. Look on http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf for details.

Licence application form here (costs $338):

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...ship_07web.pdf
Thanks for the info Wendy. Apparently us refrigeration mechanics are not classed as electrical tradespeople. Otherwise the ARTC would have been OK. Apparently, I have to go to TAFE, do 15 modules of wiring etc, then provide an employer statement to say they will train me to standard required. I have to be issued with a training logbook and in a period of between 3 and 12 months do 12 repetitions of various tasks which have to be signed off by a licenced person. This all gets sent back and they send me a licence.

That's all there is to it !!!!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Wendy. Apparently us refrigeration mechanics are not classed as electrical tradespeople. Otherwise the ARTC would have been OK. Apparently, I have to go to TAFE, do 15 modules of wiring etc, then provide an employer statement to say they will train me to standard required. I have to be issued with a training logbook and in a period of between 3 and 12 months do 12 repetitions of various tasks which have to be signed off by a licenced person. This all gets sent back and they send me a licence.

That's all there is to it !!!!

Give these guys a call and see what they say, they may know an easier way. www.peer.com.au They may not too, but it's worth a try
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:24 am
The Master of Disaster

Give these guys a call and see what they say, they may know an easier way. www.peer.com.au They may not too, but it's worth a try
I have spoken to them before a while ago, but I'll give them a call anyway.
Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have spoken to them before a while ago, but I'll give them a call anyway.
Thanks

I've looked on the licencing site, and all I can find on their with reference to air con is that you need 'the relevant' qualifications. Which is an ARTC

I did speak to someone from the ARC, who said that to gain a licence for air con you would need an ARTC to gain a restricted licence, and ARC certificate. (I have no idea what one of them is though, he wasn't too helpful with that) Here's their site though, it may help:
http://www.arctick.org/forms/form_index.htm
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:46 am
The Master of Disaster

I've looked on the licencing site, and all I can find on their with reference to air con is that you need 'the relevant' qualifications. Which is an ARTC

I did speak to someone from the ARC, who said that to gain a licence for air con you would need an ARTC to gain a restricted licence, and ARC certificate. (I have no idea what one of them is though, he wasn't too helpful with that) Here's their site though, it may help:
http://www.arctick.org/forms/form_index.htm
ARC Certificate (I have) is for handling refrigerants (CFC's etc). I just spoke to PEER and they have said that you need a certificate of competency (and gave a list of trades) which didn't include refrigeration mechanic. I have to do a course over 3 days (which satisfies the off job competency) then complete the training log for 3 months. No alternative, but if thats how it has to be done then so be it. I suppose I can understand in one way, because alot of fridge and a/c guys have very poor electrical skills.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
James
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ARC Certificate (I have) is for handling refrigerants (CFC's etc). I just spoke to PEER and they have said that you need a certificate of competency (and gave a list of trades) which didn't include refrigeration mechanic. I have to do a course over 3 days (which satisfies the off job competency) then complete the training log for 3 months. No alternative, but if thats how it has to be done then so be it. I suppose I can understand in one way, because alot of fridge and a/c guys have very poor electrical skills.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
James

No problem. Good luck with it, let us know how you get on
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I can understand in one way, because alot of fridge and a/c guys have very poor electrical skills.

they will fit right in with the local sparkies then
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:23 am
The Master of Disaster

Originally Posted by steve`o
I,m saying nothing
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

lol !!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

bretang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I know you guys have mentioned the standard of oz sparkies before are they that bad. For example would they be capable of passing the J,I,B AM2 practical exam test or is it a case of low standards for the time saving for labour costs etc.

Bye Brett
Old Jul 13th 2007, 10:10 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bretang
Hi All,
I know you guys have mentioned the standard of oz sparkies before are they that bad. For example would they be capable of passing the J,I,B AM2 practical exam test or is it a case of low standards for the time saving for labour costs etc.

Bye Brett
no i think a lot of it is an attitude thing
she`ll be right which translates to fook it it`ll do

that and the fact that they dont test anything properly and thats down to how they are taught
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:38 pm
The Master of Disaster

no i think a lot of it is an attitude thing
she`ll be right which translates to fook it it`ll do

that and the fact that they dont test anything properly and thats down to how they are taught
If that's the case, then how can they say I need on the job training to be up to standard ???
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Most British Fridge lads I have worked with could baffle OZ sparkies with their electrical control knowledge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.