Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

HELP TRA NEWBIE-Hunting high and low Wendy!

HELP TRA NEWBIE-Hunting high and low Wendy!

Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Question HELP TRA NEWBIE-Hunting high and low Wendy!

HI,

Can anyone help me? I am S-j and my hubbie Si is trying to get Electrical Mechanic with TRA as Supervisor. . . Not long since had Twins totalling 4 kids, so need to cut back on costs, wanna by-pass the agent, hopefully.....

Could anyone assist me with the TRA Essay.... I know it sounds awfully cheeky , but you guys have had it sooo tough i'm dreading it!

We want to go to Vic or Nsw. Not too sure yet, will need to do ARTC when arrive, as you all know and would really benefit from ALL your experience..

Think Si will need to be A class, I know that's a nightmare too!!!

They dont make it easy do they!

If anyone has a copy of the TRA Application MINUS all the personal details, just the Essay at the end, that would be soooooo helpful, i would like to see what passes and it would assist me what order to put it all in... It seems like a mamoth task as to list EVERYTHING he does would be like a bible, with tools etc.

Also what references will do, he's self employed working for Elec Contractor, Very regular work, since Qualified. He's been a supervisor for over 3 yrs, how do you drop that one in, Iknow you have to mention Mains connection extensively, so not to get fitter.?.

I understand that Wendy is very knowledgable and there are a lot of other 'regulars' that have given excellent advise for me to read too...

Please, please, please help as have almost sold house and had ok back from court re removal from jurisdiction (eldest child to a very old ex) and we can go. hence reason why skint, chouffing solicitors!

All advice will be welcome, but any examples of last section in TRA application would be greatly recieved!

WE LOVE YOU!

A very desperate S-j, Si and 4 kids :scared:
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP TRA NEWBIE-Hunting high and low Wendy!

Hello, you can stop hunting high and low now

I'm just a little confused, have you done the pre-migration assessment yet or is that what you what this all for?.

There are two TRA applications to be done, one is a skills assessment before you can apply for a visa, the other is when you arrive for an ARTC certificate, which lets you apply for an A class licence (together with a few other bits and bobs).

Both forms are more or less the same and you can put in the same info on both. I don't have a copy of what we sent anymore as we don't need it all now so I can't send you it I'm afraid.

I'll have a dig around as I once found a really useful site that listed lots of stuff, but I haven't got it anymore
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:37 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Copy of document sent to TRA

7 Occupational experiences

Since qualifying as an approved electrician my work has consisted of the wiring or repair of electrical installations from the start to finish for various clients.
The start being the client’s / employers instruction, drawings and or specification, and the finish being the handing over of the installation complete with the relevant certification,
I would say that I now spend about one day per week on paperwork consisting of estimating, filling in certificates or working on as fitted drawings as well as four or five days working on site dependant on the current work load

My personal tool kit consists of screwdrivers, side cutters, pliers. gland pliers, tape measures
String lines, laser level, set square, micc termination tools ( potters & crimpers ), hole saws, hack saws, hammer, 18v battery drill & reciprocating saw, 24volt percussion drill, 110v transformers, 110v drills standard and percussion, 110v circular saw 110volt extension leads - splitter boxes, Ladders and step ladders.

Every day materials I use consists of MIC, SWA, FP200, Twin & earth, SY & SYA and Cat 5 cables, Distribution boards both TPN & SPN, TPN Panel boards, Fire alarm panels, Emergency Lighting battery banks, Galvanized & PVC trunking in various sizes, galvanized tray and baskets in various sizes, Metal and PVC conduits conduit boxes and accessories, sockets, isolators, switches, fire alarm interfaces and monitoring devices.

As an example of the kind of work that I regularly undertake
I have enclosed part of a wiring specification, drawings and some pictures taken during the rewire of a large warehouse; working from the specification I installed Main distribution board reference DB0A and its associated sub circuits as follows

a) order the panel board complete with all relevant accessories MCCB`s / blanks etc
b) measure up for and order both the trunking and traywork complete with associated brackets and fixings
c) fix panel board to the wall with rawbolts
d) measure up, cut and fix the trunking
e) measure up, cut and fix the traywork
f) measure up, cut and fix the incoming supply cables
g) terminate incoming supply cables to the main switch with crimped lugs
h) The outgoing sub circuits ( in this case SWA submains ) where pulled in,
tie-rapped into position, glanded off and terminated with crimped lugs

i) The following tests were then carried out before the circuits were energised
Visual inspections to make sure that the cables were terminated correctly and that there was no visible damage to the conductors
R1 & R2 resistance measured in ohms to prove circuit polarity and earth continuity Insulation resistance measured in Meg ohms between phases, neutral & earth,
j) The circuits were then energised and tested for
earth loop resistance measured in ohms
fault current measured in K-Amps these prove that protective device can
operate within the parameters set down in the wiring regulation BS7671

This is me fitting the trunking and parallel supply cables from the bus bar chamber to the new TPN panel board

pictures have been removed due to upload limits

The traywork and sub mains start to go in

And the Panel board near completion

hope this helps

regards steve
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,

Glad I found you Thanks for that, we are applying for first TRA, then visa, then ARTC when arrive, then will do A class....

Is it really as hard as everyone says it is? Is the first TRA the hardest? Can you tell me a bit more about what you send for ARTC for cert once you get to Oz and any tips on how many copies of stuff to do?

Did you get ALL your docs countersigned? Who can sign them. I have a friend who's a policeman, but someone was suggesting a magistrate. I can do this but i dont them, do they have to know you?

Thanks Wendy, you're in Adelaide arn't you? what's the weather like at the moment? lucky girl!

S-jxx
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:54 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Hi Wendy,

Glad I found you Thanks for that, we are applying for first TRA, then visa, then ARTC when arrive, then will do A class....

Is it really as hard as everyone says it is? Is the first TRA the hardest? Can you tell me a bit more about what you send for ARTC for cert once you get to Oz and any tips on how many copies of stuff to do?

Did you get ALL your docs countersigned? Who can sign them. I have a friend who's a policeman, but someone was suggesting a magistrate. I can do this but i dont them, do they have to know you?

Thanks Wendy, you're in Adelaide arn't you? what's the weather like at the moment? lucky girl!

S-jxx
the artc is exactley the same as the tra so make at least two copies of everthing
the artc can be applied for whilst still in the uk but they will only post it to an aussie address

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...itiatives/TRA/

for more info than you can shake a big stick at

regards steve
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,

S-jxx
It's been a bit cold here only 23 degrees this weekend. Mind it was 40 last Wednesday!

I think Steve's given you more info that I probably could:

Originally Posted by steve`o
the artc is exactley the same as the tra so make at least two copies of everthing
the artc can be applied for whilst still in the uk but they will only post it to an aussie address

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...itiatives/TRA/

for more info than you can shake a big stick at

regards steve
Anyone who can sign your passport application in the UK can sign your documents. I can't be bothered finding the link to that info, but it's true (last time I said that someone told me I was lying, so that's for them!). Only copies of things need signing as "true copies" Your policeman friend should be OK.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

STEEEEVVVVVOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I think I love you!!!

This means loads to us, Thanks so much for all that info... I can get to work now. I'll use the same format and just put his tools and what he does on a day to day basis. However I was told to put EVERYTHING he does down, do you think I should as this will go on and on OR keep it to an 'average' day?

As you know there is never an 'average' day!! ha ha ha!

I'm so pleased you've taken the time out to help us, I dont want to screw it up..... You and Wendy have been a massive help to so many people on here, i've ready some of your posts....... A BIG THANKYOU! x

Sj, Si, Abi, Will, Joshy and Daniel xx We owe you one
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:26 pm
Worongary

the items you need to cover are as follows

( taken from au gov website )

Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
You must apply toTRA for assessment of your qualifications and work experience to establish whether you are capable of undertaking the full range of tasks expected of a tradesperson in Australia.

TRA’s uniform assessment criteria requires you to demonstrate skills, knowledge and experience equivalent to an Australian apprenticed-trained tradesperson. If you have no formal training in your trade, substantial work experience may be acceptable.

You must be capable of performing your work in a safe and acceptable manner and demonstrate that you have adequate theoretical knowledge for the occupation.

so i would put down as much info as possible

a good source of info for sparkies

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...al-4311-11.htm
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers steve '0
Got that link already and have memorised it!!

it's just a massive list, someone replied to me on another thread and they did 130-160 pages!! OMG No thankyou!!!

well lol, take care.. s-j and the family x

oh, got one for you... do you experience much nationality hate?? Get a feeling from some other expats on other sites that they dont feel wanted. one woman was told by an agy that they only employed locals the other said they didnt employ foreigners... This was in VIC! God if I'd have said anything like that at work i'd have been fired!!! Not like i would! Guess it's just the Small towns????

Anyone feel free to contribute.....

S-j
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers steve '0

it's just a massive list, someone replied to me on another thread and they did 130-160 pages!! OMG No thankyou!!!

oh, got one for you... do you experience much nationality hate?? Get a feeling from some other expats on other sites that they dont feel wanted. one woman was told by an agy that they only employed locals the other said they didnt employ foreigners... This was in VIC! God if I'd have said anything like that at work i'd have been fired!!! Not like i would! Guess it's just the Small towns????

S-j
That's not my experience. I haven't had any bad things said to me anywhere, in fact as soon as I speak they want to know all about us.

There are obviously some idiots about but I've not met one yet
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:17 am
Worongary

Cheers steve '0

S-j
ditto what wends is saying
i`m doing mobile maintainance so i`m in andout of different premises every day and i`ve yet to have any negative attitude to being a pom
i do get the occasional what happened to your cricket team
but youd get that anywherein the world and its always said with a big grin so its just them having the crack
Old Jan 10th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys