Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help on process of WA A grade licence.pls help!!

Help on process of WA A grade licence.pls help!!

Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Peter_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help on process of WA A grade licence.pls help!!

Sorry for butting in...is there a certain amount of years experience required since finishing your apprenticeship before i can apply for the ARTC certificate?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

It depends of your country of origin, go through this document and you'll find out.
Old May 21st 2012, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Andremin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Have been in WA for some time and have gone through the whole painstaking process to get an A-grade licence.
Had my qualifications assessed by TRA - electrical fitter.
Had to go to Rockingham TAFE for 2 weeks ETL course.
Had to apply to work under supervision for 1 year and fill in a LOG Book.
Now I have to go and do a Theoretical and Practical exam at Balga.
Hopefully this is the last of it.
Any ideas on what to expect?
Would appreciate any inputs.
Old May 21st 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

woodymcfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andremin
Hi
Have been in WA for some time and have gone through the whole painstaking process to get an A-grade licence.
Had my qualifications assessed by TRA - electrical fitter.
Had to go to Rockingham TAFE for 2 weeks ETL course.
Had to apply to work under supervision for 1 year and fill in a LOG Book.
Now I have to go and do a Theoretical and Practical exam at Balga.
Hopefully this is the last of it.
Any ideas on what to expect?
Would appreciate any inputs.
How did you manage to enrol on the ETL course with the electrical fitter ARTC ?

With regards to the exam at Balga all I can say is go back to your apprenticeship and revise and then some if you are not an Australian trained apprentice in the Navy or mining industry !!!!
Look at my previous posts and you will understand where I am coming from, know your formulae, motor characteristics, Battery characteristics, waveforms etc... oh and if you get the paper I did know your minimum working pressure of oxy-acetylene gas !!!!!!!
The exam is made up of 2 parts, 40 questions on theory as mentioned above and 10 questions on the anz wiring rules. You need a minimum of 60% on both parts for a pass. If you fail either part you can resit that part but with different questions.
I was told to prepare by familiarizing myself with the wiring rules because all the answers will be in front of you, THIS IS NOT TRUE, only 10 questions are about the wiring rules, to which I got 100% correct.............the other 40 questions I had not prepared for and failed by 2 questions !!!!!!!!
Old May 21st 2012, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Andremin is an unknown quantity at this point

Started as an electrician, then studied electronics and ended up as a signal engineer.
Had TRA assess my qualifications for Electrician (Instrumentation) and the outcome was electrical fitter.
Seems to me, if you have any other qualifications, the board messes it up.
You need to consentrate only on the electrical work for the assessment.(TRA)
Leave electronics completely out of the scope of works.
Had such a battle with all parties involved.
At the end of the day I got told by energy safety to attend the ETL course at Rockingham TAFE.
There is no easy way out!!!

Thanks for the info. Seems I`ll have to go back and read up on the old stuff - which I got rid off a long time ago.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:32 am
Just Joined

dunnoversparky is an unknown quantity at this point

In WA it is SUPPOSEDLY possible for a person with an Energy Safety WA electricians license certificate of registration, "Restricted to Electrical Fitting Work Only" to be employed as a maintenance electrical fitter.

Tell the employers that!!!

As a dual-traded time-served instrument tradesperson (ICI UK) with oil/gas and mining experience of over 20 years and recognised here with a WA Instrument Maker/Repairer trade cert. Also qualified with completing full adult Electrical Fitter apprenticeship in WA for the then electrical governing board SECWA in 1993 which included the Electrical Mechanic college certificate (WA). Together with EEHA (Gas Hazardous Areas), HV switching and work permit holder/issuer qualifications, 11 years gas pipeline maintenance and operations. Plus a load of other relevant qualifications to make me more employment-worthy.
But since my license downgrade it has been impossible to get the training to restore it. Why? If anyone knows please tell me. The WA Electrical Licensing Board is headed by Electrical Contracting Company high-ups. They told me that I had to retrain under a "contractor electrician" and I told them that in the course of my career I had applied at least a dozen times even very recently and I had always been told I was too old (ie need to be paid a full wage not a junior wage by law). Even government sponsored training centres won't do it.
I was reduced to test/tag jobs and offered temporary work as a scab or in health hazardous low paid jobs still expected to do installing work that I am BANNED from UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

Unless I'm on a black-list that I am unaware of, this should not be happening.
Flesh-peddler agencies with short-term contracts are the only go for me. Large established companies employing sparkies require them to be "A" grade "Electricians". Nothing less.