Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Help finding a job before I move.

Help finding a job before I move.

Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help finding a job before I move.

I'm looking to move back to Canada around June onwards, not entirely sure where we will be moving, we used to live in Hamilton and we have family there, but we are not opposed to going where the money is Alberta in particular, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience in sourcing employment before hand, agencies, companies etc, I know most are union jobs which will be no good till I get my Red seal and since I can't seem to find a way to take the exam over here it isn't much good.
Any help would be appreciated
Kirk.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help finding a job before I move.

My husband couldn't take the exam until he came to Canada.. and it took him a few months. So we had no income, and he was studying non-stop. The electrical code is totally different here. He didn't pass the exam the first time and he is a long-serving UK electrician.

You do need your Journeyman certificate to work here, at least you do in BC or Alberta. The same certificate applies for both provinces.

There was a company recruiting for British trades to work in Canada a while back but I think they went bust. They used to set up the training and relocation package. We nearly did that, only I'm Canadian so he came over on my sponsorship.

One more word of advice. In BC at least, almost all of the trades are governed by unions. My husband has been unemployed for 2 years because he has no seniority, therefore nobody will even look at his CV. It means nothing without union affiliation and experience. Alberta trades are likely less union-tied.