HELP FOR ELECTRICIAN

Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:42 am
Just Joined

philrobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP FOR ELECTRICIAN

Hi everyone,
I have just started researching emigrating and I am very confused.
I am a time served maintenance electrician but for the last 2 years I have been a shift supervisor looking after a team of E&I and mechanical fitters. I believe I need 3 years experience to apply for 175 as a supervisor but i have been told I could apply as electrician (special class) as I have 14 years previous experience.

So my questions are:

1. Do I have my skills assessed by TRA or vetasess?
2. Would my evidence of experience have to be within the last 2 years?
3. How much evidence is required as I may struggle to prove the work I have done?
4. What is the process for applying for a licence after completing skills assessment? Can I do it from UK?
5. Do I need same licence to work as maintenance electrician, domestic electrician or supervisor? I would be happy to work as any of these when i get to Oz.
6. Is it easy to find work in Brisbane area? Worrying I will get there with OH & 3 kids and not find a job.
7. What is the average wage for electrician?

I have searched the forums but confused but the whole process so I would be grateful for any advice.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:15 am
Just Joined

alix101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP FOR ELECTRICIAN

Originally Posted by philrobo
Hi everyone,
I have just started researching emigrating and I am very confused.
I am a time served maintenance electrician but for the last 2 years I have been a shift supervisor looking after a team of E&I and mechanical fitters. I believe I need 3 years experience to apply for 175 as a supervisor but i have been told I could apply as electrician (special class) as I have 14 years previous experience.

So my questions are:

1. Do I have my skills assessed by TRA or vetasess?
2. Would my evidence of experience have to be within the last 2 years?
3. How much evidence is required as I may struggle to prove the work I have done?
4. What is the process for applying for a licence after completing skills assessment? Can I do it from UK?
5. Do I need same licence to work as maintenance electrician, domestic electrician or supervisor? I would be happy to work as any of these when i get to Oz.
6. Is it easy to find work in Brisbane area? Worrying I will get there with OH & 3 kids and not find a job.

I have searched the forums but confused but the whole process so I would be grateful for any advice.
Im at the same stage myself, check out the electricians forum on this site.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alix101
Im at the same stage myself, check out the electricians forum on this site.
I'll move it
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:42 pm

DavyT is on a distinguished road

If you are applying for Electrician Special Class, this is assessed by the TRA.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:18 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by philrobo
If you are going down the special class route Phil you need to be able to meet the following criteria

This is a list of duties that the TRA consider a Special Class Electrician to carry out on a daily basis.
4311-13 Electrician (Special Class)
Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.
Tasks Include:
diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature
analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation
uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults
dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them
test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings
records causes of malfunctioning and action taken
may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units
may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources

Presuming you are going via the above :

So my questions are:

1. Do I have my skills assessed by TRA or vetasess? Yes
2. Would my evidence of experience have to be within the last 2 years? yes most of it but they do want you to go right back as far as apprenticeship
3. How much evidence is required as I may struggle to prove the work I have done? You need to be as detailed as possible, but remember the people @ the TRA are just pen pushers and they have a checklist of say a special class electricain and then yur application so just make sure that you have something covering all / most of the above.
be warned thou they can call you up and start asking you questions so dont be telling them you can repair faulty PCB's standing on your head if you cannot, cause you'll look a right muppet !!

1. Yep once you have a TRA 'succesfull' you could have used this to use with the visa application before they closed the door the other week ! :curse:
  2. You then need to apply for a ARTC cert which you need a Oz address for them to post it to.
  3. These will then tell you what grade they belive you to be, and this is when yu will need a more detailed in depth application as they are electrically biased.
  4. You can also apply for the wiring course via PEER in SA and complete this via distance learning in England
  5. Then once you land in Oz take a trip to Adilaide and sit the 2 day course
  6. Pass
  7. Take cert and ARTC and other ID to local government type building in CBD and cough up $350 ish and they will post Licences which is valid in all states out to you within a few weeks
  8. Take a CPR course
  9. Pass a basic H&S (blue card ??)
  10. Then try and find a job !

No they are different, not sure of the classes off the top of my head but if you get the top one which you should then you can do any of the above un-supervised
Slim pickins all over the world i,m afraid and rightly so i belive the Oz government are to be insisting on employing local labour before Migrants

About $27>$35hr i think but like i said you gotta get a start 1st

Hope this helps mate ?

If not i'll try some more but be in no rush my friend it has taken me months to get my TRA application together chasing former employers, getting references off them worded how the TRA &Y ARTC want to hear and sorting stat dec forms for the firms i have worked for that have gone bump !!

This is all what i belive to be true and since it is such a right pain in the Arse to get a ticket to work in OZ i will stand corrected on different matters most proberbly

Regards

Dougie

Right defo earnt another cider for that post

Last edited by Dougie; Mar 31st 2009 at 7:21 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

alix101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good work,
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

philrobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advise, especially from Dougie, not sure it is worth all the hastle and uncertanty. I have researched jobs for supervisors but struggling to find any suitable jobs advertised. I would be happy to go back on the tools but don't think I would have enough recient evidence of work history to pass skills assessment etc.