Help

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

coopssarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help

Hi, I'm sure everyone gets sick of the same questions being asked but i am confused. We applied for our Visas a couple of years ago i was assessed by the TRA as a general electrician to get the 60 points. We then applied for the visa and were granted that too. We then had to put our plans on hold until now.

I really do not know were to start with applying for a licence, we are hoping to go to Sydney as we have friends and family there. Could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help

Originally Posted by coopssarah
Hi, I'm sure everyone gets sick of the same questions being asked but i am confused. We applied for our Visas a couple of years ago i was assessed by the TRA as a general electrician to get the 60 points. We then applied for the visa and were granted that too. We then had to put our plans on hold until now.

I really do not know were to start with applying for a licence, we are hoping to go to Sydney as we have friends and family there. Could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Hi there,
You need to apply to the NSW govt for a work training permit and then attend a local TAFE (college) or other RTO (recognised training organisation) to do the Aussie wiring regs course . Then, you must find employment and fill in a log book, noting all the work you carry out and get it signed off by your employer. This could take anywhere from 3 months to a year and seemingly, it's quite difficult to find employment on a work training permit.
However, there are shortcuts to this process. If you read the 2 threads on this forum specifically, 'WA Electrical Mechanic Certificate in 4 months' and 'Vetassess, then ARTC,then PEERS, then SA licence, now VIC A grade', then the posts on these threads sum up what to do. It's quite a confusing process and may take you some time to get your head around so read them carefully.
Hope this helps. Regards Derren