got me artc!

Old May 13th 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice
Default got me artc!

Finally got me artc last week and i've been classified as an electrical mechanic. I've been working a couple of weeks now, unlicenced with a local firm which isn't bad, however, its house bashing which i thought i'de seen the back of yrs ago, lol. Pay is pi55 poor though, $25 ph, less than half of back home but all is quite relaxed so will stick it out for the time being untill i can get this licence sorted out. Just wondering what to do next? i've done the CPR course and the green card. I'm in Sydney. Thanks all.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got me artc!

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Finally got me artc last week and i've been classified as an electrical mechanic. I've been working a couple of weeks now, unlicenced with a local firm which isn't bad, however, its house bashing which i thought i'de seen the back of yrs ago, lol. Pay is pi55 poor though, $25 ph, less than half of back home but all is quite relaxed so will stick it out for the time being untill i can get this licence sorted out. Just wondering what to do next? i've done the CPR course and the green card. I'm in Sydney. Thanks all.
Congratlations Tony,
When was your application submitted? Mine is at TRA now, and i had a letter acknowledging it dated the 2nd May.
Cheers
Neil
Old May 13th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

dondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

lilstewie,

mine was acknowledged on 1st may. if the address on your artc is a nsw one the next commitee for nsw is 16th may (wednesday coming) i was told if they grant me a cert i should receive it in a few working days.

do
Old May 13th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

unless you already have it tony you need to see tafe about the level 3 (9968) course in electrical wiring.

once you have that (next enrolment in july & exam 6 months later and then another exam is needed 3 months after that)

you'll be nearly ready for applying for your licence....

australian oversees recognition & licensing

don
Old May 13th 2007, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dondownunder
lilstewie,ine was acknowledged on 1st may. if the address on your artc is a nsw one the next commitee for nsw is 16th may (wednesday coming) i was told if they grant me a cert i should receive it in a few working days.

do
Mine is to a W.A. address, any idea when they process those ones? How did you find out by the way, that NSW are processed for the 16th??
cheers
neil
Old May 13th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

sorry mate, no idea when the WA one's are assessed.

i phoned them to ask if they had received my application and he looked up when the next nsw commitee would assemble.....its been bugging me since why they assess the applications from different states on different days, i should have asked...

good luck with it anyway...

don
Old May 13th 2007, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

sorry mate, no idea when the WA one's are assessed.

i phoned them to ask if they had received my application and he looked up when the next nsw commitee would assemble.....its been bugging me since why they assess the applications from different states on different days, i should have asked...

good luck with it anyway...

don
I don't have a clue what goes on there- the acknowledgement letter told me they were processed in order of receipt. Rune stones anyone???
Old May 16th 2007, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

unless you already have it tony you need to see tafe about the level 3 (9968) course in electrical wiring.

once you have that (next enrolment in july & exam 6 months later and then another exam is needed 3 months after that)

you'll be nearly ready for applying for your licence....

australian oversees recognition & licensing

don

Hi Don, Thanx for ur reply. Is this the case then that i've gotta go back to collage? I really cant be arsed to do that, is there another way of obtaining this licence, also is it worth doing? ie, is the money much better?
The outcome of this will really determine how long i'll stick this out for. Why should i have to prove myself to them? They tell us they need us, a skills shortage, and when we get here they give us all this bullshit when the overall standard out here is rough as. Theres no way i'm gonna bust my balls for less than i pay my apprentice back home. I'll give it a crack for a bit but if i cant get a decent break the i'll use Oz as a working holiday for a few months every other year.
I've run 1/2 mill' pounds jobs back home and out here i'm house bashing. These jokers have got the audacity to question my credentials. They can shove their licence where the sun dont shine:curse: rant over. t
Old May 16th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

you get it off ye chest lad....

You have to go back to school to do the level 3 course before you can go for your licence in NSW, but, because you got your 'mechanic' certificate you you dont have to do many of the units involved. you basically have to go back to do the Health and Safety and the wiring regs, which is fair enough. Inspection and testing units must be done as well. The final exam (which you can only take on completion of the level 3) you do i believe applies to NSW only. The time scales i gave you in my last post are minimums.

All the states have different licensing processes, from what i have picked up in past threads on here, it is much harder to gain a licence in Victoria compared to gaining a licence in South Australia, and as i dont know the processes involved in those states i have no idea where NSW lies in relation to them with regards to ease of gaining a licence. Now to me all this seems a bit ridiculous, but, if you are willing it might be worth looking into.

Surely the Lev III course is a pre-requisite for all states, maybe someone can enlighten me???

Finally tony, i don't know about the wage diffences between licenced and unlicenced sparks.

regards

don
Old May 16th 2007, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

you get it off ye chest lad....

You have to go back to school to do the level 3 course before you can go for your licence in NSW, but, because you got your 'mechanic' certificate you you dont have to do many of the units involved. you basically have to go back to do the Health and Safety and the wiring regs, which is fair enough. Inspection and testing units must be done as well. The final exam (which you can only take on completion of the level 3) you do i believe applies to NSW only. The time scales i gave you in my last post are minimums.

All the states have different licensing processes, from what i have picked up in past threads on here, it is much harder to gain a licence in Victoria compared to gaining a licence in South Australia, and as i dont know the processes involved in those states i have no idea where NSW lies in relation to them with regards to ease of gaining a licence. Now to me all this seems a bit ridiculous, but, if you are willing it might be worth looking into.

Surely the Lev III course is a pre-requisite for all states, maybe someone can enlighten me???

Finally tony, i don't know about the wage diffences between licenced and unlicenced sparks.

regards

don
Hi Don,

In SA it is pretty easy if you go through a training organisation caller PEER. They run a course over three weeks (2 full days per week) and then you sit an exam at the end which gets you a certificate in the wirinng rules.

The course is basically finding the relevant regulations to the questions asked (the guy give you a list of where to find them and you write in the bit that applies). The exam is the same thing only you don't get the answers

Once you have your wiring rules pass, and your ARTC you can apply for an unrestricted licence and that's it, away you go.

The licence can be transferred, and you will find that many Aussies from different states come here to do this course. Some of them do a correspondence course and just turn up for the exam.

The TAFE course is just as long winded as everywhere else!
Old May 17th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

thanks wendy, i have followed up on your post and am waiting for an e-mail from peer with details of the course through correspondance. I am in the process of weighing up the pro's and cons of doing it this way e.g. costs.

thanks again

don
Old May 17th 2007, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks wendy, i have followed up on your post and am waiting for an e-mail from peer with details of the course through correspondance. I am in the process of weighing up the pro's and cons of doing it this way e.g. costs.

thanks again

don

Well all the best whichever way you do it