first week

Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice
Default first week

Guys,

I have just completed my first week as a T.A in brissy and just to let all the lads who havent arrived yet that the standard is poor here so dont worry about the standard. The is another expat working on the site and has been here 3 yrs and compared it to our ' temp jobs' in the UK.

They like to swap from pvc conduit to adaptable conduit and back again and just lash cables across ceilings on gripples ' rough as f---'

I even seen them levelling lighting trunking with a 6" boat level and pissed myself laughing.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:37 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first week

Originally Posted by cjgoodall View Post
Guys,

I have just completed my first week as a T.A in brissy and just to let all the lads who havent arrived yet that the standard is poor here so dont worry about the standard. The is another expat working on the site and has been here 3 yrs and compared it to our ' temp jobs' in the UK.

They like to swap from pvc conduit to adaptable conduit and back again and just lash cables across ceilings on gripples ' rough as f---'

I even seen them levelling lighting trunking with a 6" boat level and pissed myself laughing.
Welcome to Ozzie mate. I hate the fact that they don't use bends with PVC conduit but use flexible. Just lazy. If you have no bends then maybe Ok. But when u are given them. (speaking from my experience giving a 54 year old bends and he just used flexible).
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:03 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look.
Attached Thumbnails first week-165.jpg  
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:13 pm
Freedom!

Originally Posted by Jockstar View Post
Have a look.
Actually. Maybe we could run a thread for rough as guts installs we have seen here? I have a few crackers.

Last edited by Jockstar; Dec 10th 2011 at 10:16 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:15 pm
Freedom!

Have a look.
He also didn't have a chalk line. I gave him mine and he still didn't use it. It was some of the worst conduit i have seen. I then had to fix it a few weeks later as i just couldn't have my name put to it as it was my job and he was only there to HELP? me.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

mate,

they are shit aint they and its us that have to retrain!!!

They have sent two guys up from sydney to connect the lv panels and they have taken the gland plates off chucked them away and just connected the singles on.

I have watched another guy this week and it has taken him 4 days to connect a DB.

I think we could run this thread for ages just with what I can find on this one job.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:13 am
Freedom!

mate,

they are shit aint they and its us that have to retrain!!!

They have sent two guys up from sydney to connect the lv panels and they have taken the gland plates off chucked them away and just connected the singles on.

I have watched another guy this week and it has taken him 4 days to connect a DB.

I think we could run this thread for ages just with what I can find on this one job.

Pictures please.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:20 am
Freedom!

Another.
Attached Thumbnails first week-080.jpg  
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:22 am
Freedom!

BTW i have moved into the security side of the industry but we nearly always subbie to the sparkies. Hence why i get to see some shitty workmanship.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Guys,

Hi Chris,
Welcome back mate. Looks like I'll be moving over in Jan. Still undecided whether to go the PEER route or QET. I'm leaning towards the QET route as you have done (how's that going by the way?) but my mate already there reckons he might be able to get me a job with an SA licence and get $41 an hour doing the type of work I'm currently doing ie SWA and ladder rack.
Surely the industrial work can't be as shoddy as the commercial , can it?

Anyway, if you think using a 6" level on terra firma is laughable I once saw someone using one on a Royal Australian Navy frigate !!! in Darwin whilst on my WHV many years ago. WTF!!!
Regards Derren
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:48 am
Freedom!

Another.
Yes thats a cable tie holding the conduit to another conduit.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

derren,

I still have not applied for my permit to train as yet as I somehow lost my vetassess result. I have a copy of it but the JP would only sign it as a Download. Have applied for a new one costing $60.
What do you think about going peer route? I dont mind going QET as long as I am working.

As regards to the shit work the job I am on is a industrial job and honestly mate its poor. The other english guy here has done most of the tray and he done some bends and they all took photo's of it.

mate they havent got a clue.

That would be sweet if your mate gets you the start. Give me a shout when you arrive it would be nice to catch up.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:44 am
Freedom!

derren,

I still have not applied for my permit to train as yet as I somehow lost my vetassess result. I have a copy of it but the JP would only sign it as a Download. Have applied for a new one costing $60.
What do you think about going peer route? I dont mind going QET as long as I am working.

As regards to the shit work the job I am on is a industrial job and honestly mate its poor. The other english guy here has done most of the tray and he done some bends and they all took photo's of it.

mate they havent got a clue.

That would be sweet if your mate gets you the start. Give me a shout when you arrive it would be nice to catch up.
You know i ordered 75 x 75 trunking and needed 2 x 45 degree bends, They sent me 2 x 90. When i got it up the wholesaler he called and said it would take a couple of days to make them. Told him to stick and i made them myself. Simple thinsg we take for granted, you cant get. Plasterboard boxes. Nope, they use these metal C clamp thing. Total crap.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:52 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

I had a walk round a site at Kangaroo point when doing my recce and saw some strange working practices, catenary wire running through eye bolts that passed for cable management, cable just strapped to it! but on reflection it would of been a nice bit of tray work that would never be seen over here in the UK. It does look like they throw it in and it does my head in when people do a shit job when it wouldn't take any longer to do it right but if it saves lots of time and no one will ever see the workmanship anyway I can see the attraction in saving money on a gucci instal
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:00 pm
Freedom!

Originally Posted by rinkerdink View Post
I had a walk round a site at Kangaroo point when doing my recce and saw some strange working practices, catenary wire running through eye bolts that passed for cable management, cable just strapped to it! but on reflection it would of been a nice bit of tray work that would never be seen over here in the UK. It does look like they throw it in and it does my head in when people do a shit job when it wouldn't take any longer to do it right but if it saves lots of time and no one will ever see the workmanship anyway I can see the attraction in saving money on a gucci instal
This one sparky we do work for is one of the roughest i have come across. He runs cables up risers with no tray. Just nails in the wall and his cables tied on with a piece of building wire. Or he gets the builder to box in his work.
Attached Thumbnails first week-089.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.