Electricians A Grade exam

Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future
Default Electricians A Grade exam

Hi,

I got my A grade practical next week at Swan TAFE (Perth for you unfortunates living elsewhere in Ozz) and hopefully the theory the following week, has anybody got any study notes or advice for the two exams, Im reading up on the 3000:2000 and 3008:1998 which is a pretty dull set of books, theres no plot line or anything.

Anyhoo I dont envisage a problem but if there are any tips from u sparkies that cleared this final hurdle it would be appreciated.

Catch you later, time for a beer if I can find me stubbie holder.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians A Grade exam

Originally Posted by Thrud
Hi,

I got my A grade practical next week at Swan TAFE (Perth for you unfortunates living elsewhere in Ozz) and hopefully the theory the following week, has anybody got any study notes or advice for the two exams, Im reading up on the 3000:2000 and 3008:1998 which is a pretty dull set of books, theres no plot line or anything.

Anyhoo I dont envisage a problem but if there are any tips from u sparkies that cleared this final hurdle it would be appreciated.

Only advice I can give you is that if you fail the exam (which I'm sure you won't ) then come and do the South Australian exam, it's loads easier and you can convert the licence to a WA one
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:31 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Only advice I can give you is that if you fail the exam (which I'm sure you won't ) then come and do the South Australian exam, it's loads easier and you can convert the licence to a WA one
on what basis wend s
it must be easy cos gareth passed
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
on what basis wend s
it must be easy cos gareth passed

Well when he did the course, they gave him sheets with questions on and he had to fill in the relevant regulations. He also got given an answer sheet

The exam then was just more or less filling in the sheets again only the questions were in a different order. Any that weren't right you just get told to resit that question until it is.

That's it then, you just apply for you licence. No working supervised or anything like that.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

Oh no my threads been moved, now I wont get a reply, mods have no imagination.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Hi ,which licence are you going for?
Cheers John

Hi,

Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh no my threads been moved, now I wont get a reply, mods have no imagination.

Most of the sparkies look in here anyway or if you ask Polly nicely she may move it back for a while
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Electricians A Grade exam

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi ,which licence are you going for?
Cheers John
Hi John, the exam is the first part for the electrical mechanic, practical is on Monday 12/02/07 and assuming I pass its the theory on the following Monday

The practicle seems pretty straight forward and I have been given the following guidelines

1) safe working practices including isolation procedures (I am assuming these are similar to the UK with regards to implementing a safe system of work, locking off, testing its off etc)

2) earthing requirements (I have read the 3000:2000 wiring rules and this seems pretty straight forwards again similar to the UK's PME protective multiple earthng system only called MEN Multiple earthed Network)

3) Testing of simulated domestic installation and recoding the findings (the wiring regs were pretty descriptive so no problem here)

4) Testing and writing a report on portable appliances ( No guidance here at all but I did a lot of it in the UK so hopefully thats not a problem)

5) Wiring skills of basic light and power circuits ( I havent seen an Australian wiring diagram yet so not sure what to expect, I know the sockets are wired as radial circuits, not sure on the lighting)

6) testing off and recording results on electrical equipment such as motors, transformers etc (not sure what kind of testing they are refering to, windings or just the general installation)

7) Cable selection based on load requirements, volt drop and installation method (I am just working through some examples now, to familiarise myself with the parts in the wiring regs and the use of 3008.1.1.1998)

8) Ability to use AS/NZS 3000-2000 and AS/NZS 3008.1.1 standards (I have the books and am using them so should be no problem here)

9) Ability to connect basic motors and starters (I wish I had some of my old UK books I cleared out, I know how to do it but would be nice to browse them now)

10) Ability to connect internal wiring of liminaires (I am taking the kitchen floursecent apart as a refresher, lol)

11) Ability to read and draw electrical circuits (No problem reading them, I dont have any Australian standards for drawing which is a problem)

I have ordered three books to help me these are,

Electrical principles for electrical trades
Electrical wiring practice volumes 1 and 2

sadly I wont have them until after the exam as they are on back order
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Hi I did my elec fitters prac at balga yesterday and the theory today,think I did pretty well on both of them.When I asked Balga and elec satefy about what I shoud be studing up on they both said just read the regs books,and the lady at balga said there was nothing to show me ar any samples or study guides.
John
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

"The practicle seems pretty straight forward and I have been given the following guidelines"
So where did you get the guidelines from?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

they came from Swan TAFFE along with confirmation letter to say I was booked into the course.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Most of the sparkies look in here anyway or if you ask Polly nicely she may move it back for a while
I dont even know who polly, Oh well like I said its now in the wrong place hence no real response, mods are like car park attendants who think they own the car park.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I dont even know who polly, Oh well like I said its now in the wrong place hence no real response, mods are like car park attendants who think they own the car park.

It is in the right place if its in the electricians forum,it makes it easier to find than getting lost in the main site.
cheers lorri
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, never thought of that

This is Polly http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=7609
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:27 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John, the exam is the first part for the electrical mechanic, practical is on Monday 12/02/07 and assuming I pass its the theory on the following Monday

The practicle seems pretty straight forward and I have been given the following guidelines

1) safe working practices including isolation procedures (I am assuming these are similar to the UK with regards to implementing a safe system of work, locking off, testing its off etc)

2) earthing requirements (I have read the 3000:2000 wiring rules and this seems pretty straight forwards again similar to the UK's PME protective multiple earthng system only called MEN Multiple earthed Network)

3) Testing of simulated domestic installation and recoding the findings (the wiring regs were pretty descriptive so no problem here)

4) Testing and writing a report on portable appliances ( No guidance here at all but I did a lot of it in the UK so hopefully thats not a problem)

5) Wiring skills of basic light and power circuits ( I havent seen an Australian wiring diagram yet so not sure what to expect, I know the sockets are wired as radial circuits, not sure on the lighting)

6) testing off and recording results on electrical equipment such as motors, transformers etc (not sure what kind of testing they are refering to, windings or just the general installation)

7) Cable selection based on load requirements, volt drop and installation method (I am just working through some examples now, to familiarise myself with the parts in the wiring regs and the use of 3008.1.1.1998)

8) Ability to use AS/NZS 3000-2000 and AS/NZS 3008.1.1 standards (I have the books and am using them so should be no problem here)

9) Ability to connect basic motors and starters (I wish I had some of my old UK books I cleared out, I know how to do it but would be nice to browse them now)

10) Ability to connect internal wiring of liminaires (I am taking the kitchen floursecent apart as a refresher, lol)

11) Ability to read and draw electrical circuits (No problem reading them, I dont have any Australian standards for drawing which is a problem)

I have ordered three books to help me these are,

Electrical principles for electrical trades
Electrical wiring practice volumes 1 and 2

sadly I wont have them until after the exam as they are on back order

hi there

you owe me one frigging big beer mate

the books you have ordered
Electrical wiring practice volumes 1 and 2 are these the 6th edition by keith pethebridge ??? if so i can confirm that they are very good although you probably wont need volume one it really does go back to basics

regards steve

ps remember i like beer
Attached Thumbnails Electricians A Grade exam-page-1-symbols.jpg   Electricians A Grade exam-page-2-symbols.jpg   Electricians A Grade exam-page-3-symbols.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.