Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electricians in Adelaide and SA

Electricians in Adelaide and SA

Old Sep 10th 2006, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Electricians in Adelaide and SA

14 years experince as electrician working on domestic, industrial and commercial installations,but out of the trade for last 9 years.Hope to land in Adelaide mid 2007 if visa application goes well.How would I return to the trade at whatever level?.Any help and advice much appreciated.

CHEERS, Andy H.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians in Adelaide and SA

Originally Posted by Nick11
14 years experince as electrician working on domestic, industrial and commercial installations,but out of the trade for last 9 years.Hope to land in Adelaide mid 2007 if visa application goes well.How would I return to the trade at whatever level?.Any help and advice much appreciated.

CHEERS, Andy H.

Hi Andy

It's quite a long drawn out process so make sure you have enough cash to last you a few months (about 6). The good news is that there is lots of work out here for sparkies and as soon as you get a licence they'll snap you up.

I'll help all I can but I need to know a few things first if you don't mind.
Do you have city and guilds or equivalent?, did you do an apprentiship?
What job do you currently do?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi Andy

It's quite a long drawn out process so make sure you have enough cash to last you a few months (about 6). The good news is that there is lots of work out here for sparkies and as soon as you get a licence they'll snap you up.

I'll help all I can but I need to know a few things first if you don't mind.
Do you have city and guilds or equivalent?, did you do an apprentiship?
What job do you currently do?
Hi WendyC
I served a 4 year apprenticeship and gained City and Guilds 236 part 1 and 2.I got my electricians certificate in july 1987,approved electricians certificate 1991,City and Guilds 16th edition IEE wiring regs in 1993,City and Guilds certificate for the verification,inspection and testing of electrical installations in 1994.
I worked on commercial ,domestic and industrial projects of various sizes and mostly as the site foreman incharge of the electrical installation and the labour involved.
I left the trade in 1997 and I have retrained as a machine minder in a printing factory
Many thanks for reply ,what is your link with the trade?

Cheers Andy H.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi WendyC
I served a 4 year apprenticeship and gained City and Guilds 236 part 1 and 2.I got my electricians certificate in july 1987,approved electricians certificate 1991,City and Guilds 16th edition IEE wiring regs in 1993,City and Guilds certificate for the verification,inspection and testing of electrical installations in 1994.
I worked on commercial ,domestic and industrial projects of various sizes and mostly as the site foreman incharge of the electrical installation and the labour involved.
I left the trade in 1997 and I have retrained as a machine minder in a printing factory
Many thanks for reply ,what is your link with the trade?

Cheers Andy H.

My hubby is an electrician and I have the wonderful task of doing all the applications

Not really sure what a machine minder does, but my hubby's last job was an electrical engineer, he basically fixed machinery in a factory. He was also the site electrician, which is how we passed the pre-migration assessment

To get a licence to work as an electrician in South Australia you need to have the following:

* training and/or experience in a metal or electrical trade assessed by TRA
* skills learned on the job OR through a mixture of formal training and on the job experience
* an appropriate overseas apprenticeship OR at least 6 years on the job experience in engineering or metal trades OR 7 years in an electrical trade.

This will get you an ARTC (Australian Recognised Trade Certificate), once you have that you can then apply for a restricted licence, which means you can work as an electrician under direct supervision of someone with an A class licence, you can not connect electricity to the mains (unless it has been tested by the guy with the licence.)

You also need to attend a course, AUS/NZ 3000 wiring rules, and succesfully pass the exam to remove the restriction from your licence, when you've done this you can then work on your own.

There are two place that do the course, TAFE and a place called PEER.

TAFE - Their courses are priced at $280, but they only do courses every now and then, the next one is in February. These courses are held on a Wednesday Evening, 3 hours per week for 18 weeks

PEER - These cost $510. They have courses nearly all the time and are held on a Wednesday and Thursday during the day (8am - 4:30pm) for 3 and half weeks. They also do a night course but obviously this one takes longer (I think it's 7 weeks).

The only thing I'm not sure about is if you satisfy the criteria mentioned earlier, as I'm not too sure if you need to have recent experience in the trade. However if your job is similar to what my hubby was doing before we came then choice wording of your job could help.

If there is anything else you need to know feel free to PM me or post here and I'll do my best
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:25 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is an electrician and I have the wonderful task of doing all the applications

Not really sure what a machine minder does, but my hubby's last job was an electrical engineer, he basically fixed machinery in a factory. He was also the site electrician, which is how we passed the pre-migration assessment

To get a licence to work as an electrician in South Australia you need to have the following:

* training and/or experience in a metal or electrical trade assessed by TRA
* skills learned on the job OR through a mixture of formal training and on the job experience
* an appropriate overseas apprenticeship OR at least 6 years on the job experience in engineering or metal trades OR 7 years in an electrical trade.

This will get you an ARTC (Australian Recognised Trade Certificate), once you have that you can then apply for a restricted licence, which means you can work as an electrician under direct supervision of someone with an A class licence, you can not connect electricity to the mains (unless it has been tested by the guy with the licence.)

You also need to attend a course, AUS/NZ 3000 wiring rules, and succesfully pass the exam to remove the restriction from your licence, when you've done this you can then work on your own.

There are two place that do the course, TAFE and a place called PEER.

TAFE - Their courses are priced at $280, but they only do courses every now and then, the next one is in February. These courses are held on a Wednesday Evening, 3 hours per week for 18 weeks

PEER - These cost $510. They have courses nearly all the time and are held on a Wednesday and Thursday during the day (8am - 4:30pm) for 3 and half weeks. They also do a night course but obviously this one takes longer (I think it's 7 weeks).

The only thing I'm not sure about is if you satisfy the criteria mentioned earlier, as I'm not too sure if you need to have recent experience in the trade. However if your job is similar to what my hubby was doing before we came then choice wording of your job could help.

If there is anything else you need to know feel free to PM me or post here and I'll do my best
wendy is PEER a national company or one local to yourself???
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steve`o
wendy is PEER a national company or one local to yourself???

I think it's local. I'll give you the link though just in case.

http://www.peer.com.au/index1024m.htm

I tried e-mailing them a while ago but never got one back, ended up ringing them in the end.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it's local. I'll give you the link though just in case.

http://www.peer.com.au/index1024m.htm

I tried e-mailing them a while ago but never got one back, ended up ringing them in the end.
Thanks Wendy, I know I would need recent work experience if I was claiming point to get a visa, but I'm not, we're doing it in my wife's name.
Does anybody know if you need recent work experience to pass TRA. I have everything else, apart from that.
Anybody got a website address for them, so I could contact them
Cheers
Andy
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy, I know I would need recent work experience if I was claiming point to get a visa, but I'm not, we're doing it in my wife's name.
Does anybody know if you need recent work experience to pass TRA. I have everything else, apart from that.
Anybody got a website address for them, so I could contact them
Cheers
Andy

Sorry Andy, I meant to post the link for you and I forgot

Here it is, on the relevant page

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

Good luck with everything