Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician work at the mines W.A

Electrician work at the mines W.A

Old Jun 8th 2012, 8:31 pm
Perth calling...

Andy the spark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician work at the mines W.A

Hi,

I am a 35 year old Electrician living in North Wales, U.K. I have dual Australian & U.K passports as I was born in Australia. I am interested in working in the mining industry on the West coast.

I have full U.K qualifications, and have done allsorts of Electrical work over the last 16 years.

However, I have never worked on any BIG heavy industrial sites like these mines, so I am unsure what the employers are expecting you to know, or expecting you to able to do. Does anyone know what kind of Electrical work goes on in the mines?

Is it mainly maintenence on heavy duty machinary, conveyor belts and motors? That sort of thing?
Or is it more common areas like temp supplies, SWA feeds, 3 phase boards for power and lighting etc...

Sorry for all the shop talk, if anyone could shed some light on the subject that would be great!

Thanks, Andrew.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: Electrician work at the mines W.A

All depends of demand at the particular time, sometimes they just need A grade electrician with no mines experience sometimes don't.

Have a look at http://www.fifobids.com.au/ so let companies bid for your skills.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:46 am
Just Joined

lee mccardle is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there andy. i currently work in the mines and have done for the last 4 years. am originally from the uk with bacround in idustrial electrical work.

there is a lot of work over here at the moment and the first thing you would have to do is get an electrical licence here as you wont get work otherwise.
this is a fairly involved process but doable.

first you have to submit all you city and guilds quals to whats calle tra trades recognition australia then they will issue you a trade cert that will allow you to go to college and do some practical and theory assesments which enables you to get a licence. sounds involved but as i say doable. as for the work the best paying jobs are construction based and will involve nothing that you havent done befroe im sure.

hope all this helps and let me know if you require further info . lee
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:35 am
Perth calling...

Andy the spark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the response mate. I am currently just putting all my paperwork together to apply for an ARTC. Lots to do!

When submitting your Electrical quals to the TRA, do you also need to have and submit a JIB approved card with them? Or is that not necccesary.

Do you also need the NVQ level 3 certificate too?

Thanks mate sorry for all the questions!

Andy.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:48 am
Just Joined

lee mccardle is an unknown quantity at this point

think the tra is now called artc when i did mine nearly seven years ago had to submit all trade papers and college certs and jib card. the more evidence you provide them the easier it is for them to assess your trade. apparently it also matters how you present it too extra points for things being in the correct order.and all supporting docs from employers references and periods you have worked for them too.

hope this helps let me know if you need any more info.

lee.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Diesel Jockey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andy the spark
Hi,

I am a 35 year old Electrician living in North Wales, U.K. I have dual Australian & U.K passports as I was born in Australia. I am interested in working in the mining industry on the West coast.

I have full U.K qualifications, and have done allsorts of Electrical work over the last 16 years.

However, I have never worked on any BIG heavy industrial sites like these mines, so I am unsure what the employers are expecting you to know, or expecting you to able to do. Does anyone know what kind of Electrical work goes on in the mines?

Is it mainly maintenence on heavy duty machinary, conveyor belts and motors? That sort of thing?
Or is it more common areas like temp supplies, SWA feeds, 3 phase boards for power and lighting etc...

Sorry for all the shop talk, if anyone could shed some light on the subject that would be great!

Thanks, Andrew.
Depends on what you want to do surface or underground.
I have been Underground for the past 7 years and have really enjoyed it. The work conditions are not too everyones taste as you could be repairing a jumbo (drill rig) in a heading where there is bugger all vent and you sweat your arse off which is all the more reason to be good at what you do, fix the problem and get out of there!!
Drill rigs, pumps / stations are all 1000volt.
Underground is a very dirty and dangerous enviroment but if you keep a level head and an eye on your surroundings its ok
If you are more instrument then a mill sparkie job would be more suited
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andy the spark
Hi,

Thanks, Andrew.
Hi guys we are in a similar position and also from North Wales. My husband is a spark and interested in working in the mines. We have already been out to Perth for 3 weeks.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for information.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Hi guys we are in a similar position and also from North Wales. My husband is a spark and interested in working in the mines. We have already been out to Perth for 3 weeks.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for information.
Also I heard it was difficult to get in the mines?
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Southern Cross Electrical is looking forward for electricians, leading hand electricians, TA's and supervisors, FIFO work in Pilbara WA and Queensland.

Interested in a career in mines?

It worth to look at Downer Engineering website sometimes!

Last edited by Deyan; Sep 22nd 2012 at 12:54 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Gorgon project jobs

Here is jobs list.