Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician requires clarification!

Electrician requires clarification!

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice
Default Electrician requires clarification!

Hello there

My name is David and I am new to this forum. After plenty of searching through this site I am looking for a little help in the following fields.

1. Once I have obtained my OTSR through Vetassess what is the process that I must go through to obtain my A class license in Queensland, am I correct in thinking that this can only be done in Oz or could I apply for my ARTC here in England.

2. What would be the best license to suit myself. I have a strong background in commercial installation work.

3. Who are the large principal electrical contractors that I could approach regarding employment or is it the agency route that I would have to go down?

4. I am looking to purchase a copy of the AUS/NZ 3000:2007 WIRING REGS are their any other publications I should also purchase in order to obtain an A class license?

Thanks for taking the time in reading this thread any correspondence would be greatly appreciated.

Davey

( Passes Vetassess written 04/07/08 and have practical in October hopefully Glasgow)
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician requires clarification!

Originally Posted by stixblue
Hello there

My name is David and I am new to this forum. After plenty of searching through this site I am looking for a little help in the following fields.

1. Once I have obtained my OTSR through Vetassess what is the process that I must go through to obtain my A class license in Queensland, am I correct in thinking that this can only be done in Oz or could I apply for my ARTC here in England.

2. What would be the best license to suit myself. I have a strong background in commercial installation work.

3. Who are the large principal electrical contractors that I could approach regarding employment or is it the agency route that I would have to go down?

4. I am looking to purchase a copy of the AUS/NZ 3000:2007 WIRING REGS are their any other publications I should also purchase in order to obtain an A class license?

Thanks for taking the time in reading this thread any correspondence would be greatly appreciated.

Davey

( Passes Vetassess written 04/07/08 and have practical in October hopefully Glasgow)
If your going down the vettesses route you don’t need an artc they issue a similar document to the artc which that allows you to apply for your licence,

Licencing which route??

Quickest
I’d recommend going to peer in Adelaide as its by far the quickest way of getting your licence, once you have your vetts pass and know when your going to arrive call the up and make a booking at your earliest convenience
http://peer.com.au/index1024m.htm
The web sites quite useless to be honest just use it for contact info

Second way if you don’t want to go to Adelaide
Apply to
http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...seas/index.htm
The qld electrical safety office for a licence they will issue a permit to train valid for 12 months
get a job and fill in you log book ( this is required to prove that you’ve been wiring things the aussie way ) (this could be hard with only a permit to train )

apply for your wiring course to either
http://www.qet.edu.au/
a private RTO ( registered training organisation )
or tafe ( tech college )note not all tafes do electrical studies to my knowledge only Yeronga and ashore tafes on the south side of Brisbane

q.e.t. will be quicker as you can enrol at any time where with the tafe they usually only run course starting in Feb. and ending in July / aug

hope this helps but if your still stuck just ask there a loads of really helpful people on this site

Regards Steve

ps we don’t have "A" class licences in qld its mechanic or fitter and you want the mechanics one
The qet site listed above explains it all quite well

Last edited by steve`o; Aug 3rd 2008 at 8:44 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

"If your going down the vettesses route you don’t need an artc they issue a similar document to the artc which that allows you to apply for your licence,"
(steve o.)

i didnt know that!
whenever i have contacted licensing authorities (in WA and SA) they have always said you must have an artc certificate. has this been the case since vetassess took over the trade assessment for general electricians?

lee.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:00 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeob77
"If your going down the vettesses route you don’t need an artc they issue a similar document to the artc which that allows you to apply for your licence,"
(steve o.)

i didnt know that!
whenever i have contacted licensing authorities (in WA and SA) they have always said you must have an artc certificate. has this been the case since vetassess took over the trade assessment for general electricians?

lee.
see docgp`s thread re

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537976
from post 16 onwards
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice

Thanks for your reply Steve'O very much appreciated. Thought I was on the right lines. So it looks as though I will apply for my electrical mechanics license when I get out there, does anyone have a guideline of any timescales? At least the OTSR allows us to work supervised straight away I guess as a trade assistant. Any views? Any info on large electrical companies I could contact regarding employment in the Brisbane area. Cheers Davey
Old Sep 21st 2008, 3:43 am
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice

Originally Posted by stixblue
Hello there

Davey

A copy of AS/NZS 3008 cable selection will help you too