electrician information

Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

declan564 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrician information

Hi
My wife, 2 daughters and I were hoping to migrate to Australia but looking into it I have hit a brick wall.
I have been working as an electrcian for more than 20yrs, I have had my J.I.B card for 11yrs and have references for my complete working history but I have no official papers and learned all I know on the job. I have done all aspect of electrical work from house bashing, industrial, comercial and H.V substations. I'm sure it sounds niaive but I thought Australia would snap me up due to their shortage of electricians and with my experience I would just be able to complete the electricians licence and begin work.
Has any1 got any information or experience that could help us
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

docgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nicedocgp is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: electrician information

Originally Posted by declan564
Hi
My wife, 2 daughters and I were hoping to migrate to Australia but looking into it I have hit a brick wall.
I have been working as an electrcian for more than 20yrs, I have had my J.I.B card for 11yrs and have references for my complete working history but I have no official papers and learned all I know on the job. I have done all aspect of electrical work from house bashing, industrial, comercial and H.V substations. I'm sure it sounds niaive but I thought Australia would snap me up due to their shortage of electricians and with my experience I would just be able to complete the electricians licence and begin work.
Has any1 got any information or experience that could help us
welcome to BE Declan

Youve come to the right place to find information

In the Electrician foroum you will find plenty of information to assist you

There is a search function aswell which you can use to look for key words

Have a look around and come back to us if you require any information.

Sorry i cant help you with your question about official papers, but have a read through

Here is a link for you that you will need to do to start the process

Vetassess

Doc
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: electrician information

Hey Declan,

Welcome to BE.

I am pretty sure that you do not need "official" papers. Learning on the job is fine. The Vetassess route means that you do a practical to demonstrate your skills and if memory serves me correctly, there are people on here who do not have papers and have passed the Vetassess route. I think the Vetassess website says something along the lines of having at least 2 years experience if no formal qualifications.... some people doubt that though.... You may want to email Vetassess (they are very helpful) and explain your situation ie. no qualifications but 20 years experience with on the job training (how else would you have learned! ) and see what they say. You could always submit your paper assessment for the
£300 odd it is worth and you may find that they say successful and proceed to practical!
Good luck in this roller coaster of a journey.

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

declan564;

if you can produce proof by letters from past employers explaining what you have done & for how long you should be OK, remember everything you do make sure all paperwork is signed & dates this makes it all legal, the more you put in the better chance you have the people doing your application are pen pushers & don't know a screwdriver from a piece of conduit.

List every tool you have ever used if only the once & explain what it was used for, list all trunking s (Duct over here) all conduits, steel or PVC list all cables & sizes all materials used for applications or installations & more if you can.

I made mine read like a CV (Resume) the more you put in the better can you also get letters of support from past employers & work friends or companies you have done work for on behalf of past companies.

all the best to you if you need help we on here are always willing to assist
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:53 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Hey Declan,

Welcome to BE.

I am pretty sure that you do not need "official" papers. Learning on the job is fine. The Vetassess route means that you do a practical to demonstrate your skills and if memory serves me correctly, there are people on here who do not have papers and have passed the Vetassess route. I think the Vetassess website says something along the lines of having at least 2 years experience if no formal qualifications.... some people doubt that though.... You may want to email Vetassess (they are very helpful) and explain your situation ie. no qualifications but 20 years experience with on the job training (how else would you have learned! ) and see what they say. You could always submit your paper assessment for the
£300 odd it is worth and you may find that they say successful and proceed to practical!
Good luck in this roller coaster of a journey.

sorry but i dont belive that this is the case

since pathway D was cancelled ( sept 07 ) i was under the the impression that all electrical trades had to have formal traing and qualifications ??

http://www.vetassess.com.au/download...lectrician.pdf

if you look at vetts own paperwork it does specify that you shoud be able to answer yes to all questions ??

i know earlier on in the vetts site its says this

"Work Experience
For applicants who have not completed any formal training you must provide documentary evidence that you have been employed in your trade area for a minimum of two years. This is a mandatory requirement. Applicants who do not have formal training qualifications or have not been employed for a minimum of two years will not be able to progress to the practical skills assessment."

but as its in the general area and not in the sparkies bit i think its a bit missleading

personally i`d contact vetts your self and ask the question rather than go on down the line of an application which may not get approval

regards steve
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

this bloke has 20 years on the tools mate, he also has a JIB card so that alone proves he is capable of doing the job, unless i have miss read the info i would have thought he may be ok
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Since Pathway D was cancelled, they are now talking about puting practicals in place for the areas such as plastering etc so that people can prove that they have the skills to emigrate.

Vetassess only do a select 10 trade assessments and it is in relation to this that they refer to the 2 years work experience. I also think that the 2 year rule is "general" but this guy has 20 years and would have had on the job training to learn his trade, he will be okay, I am pretty sure. He would have started out as an "apprentice" whether formal or not and he would have been trained. If he can prove this by reference letters/statutory declaration he should have no problems.

This is what vetassess say as an introduction:
"Who can apply to VETASSESS?
You can apply for a trade skills assessment through VETASSESS if you:

are applying to migrate to Australia under the GSM
are a resident of one of the listed countries
have skills related to one of the listed trade occupations. "

I also suggested contacting Vetassess just to make sure, but like I said, there are already people who have posted on this forum who have not had all their papers and have passed the practicals.

As this is your only option Declan, you have nothing to lose by trying it and I think you will find that you are okay.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:44 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Since Pathway D was cancelled, they are now talking about puting practicals in place for the areas such as plastering etc so that people can prove that they have the skills to emigrate.

Vetassess only do a select 10 trade assessments and it is in relation to this that they refer to the 2 years work experience. I also think that the 2 year rule is "general" but this guy has 20 years and would have had on the job training to learn his trade, he will be okay, I am pretty sure. He would have started out as an "apprentice" whether formal or not and he would have been trained. If he can prove this by reference letters/statutory declaration he should have no problems.

This is what vetassess say as an introduction:
"Who can apply to VETASSESS?
You can apply for a trade skills assessment through VETASSESS if you:

are applying to migrate to Australia under the GSM
are a resident of one of the listed countries
have skills related to one of the listed trade occupations. "

I also suggested contacting Vetassess just to make sure, but like I said, there are already people who have posted on this forum who have not had all their papers and have passed the practicals.

As this is your only option Declan, you have nothing to lose by trying it and I think you will find that you are okay.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545487
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

This appears to be the pertenent bits:

7. Skill Stream B – International

7.1. Skill category 1 ‐ Training / Skills Recognition: Applicants must provide evidence of having completed at least one element from Skill Category 1 as follows:

7.1.1. formal vocational training; or
7.1.2. formal skills recognition.

7.2. In relation to clause 7.1.1, formal vocational training must:
7.2.1. consist of structured institution based tuition; and
7.2.2. result in the award of a formally recognised qualification applicable to the nominated occupation.

7.3. In relation to clause 7.1.2, formal skills recognition must:
7.3.1. result from completion of a workplace assessment; or
7.3.2. be confirmed by a recognised industrial or occupational licence.

7.4. In relation to 7.3.1, the workplace assessment must:
7.4.1. have been undertaken by an organisation accredited by an authorised governing body whose standards can be independently verified by TRA; and
7.4.2. result in the award of a formally recognised qualification applicable to the nominated occupation

7.5. Skill Category 2 ‐ Employment: Applicants must also demonstrate no less than four (4) years employment.

7.6. For the purposes of clause 7.5, applicants are able to claim a maximum of one (1) year credit towards their employment if they provide evidence of completing formal vocational training.

7.7. For the purposes of clause 7.5, such employment must include a skill level transition.

Up to Declan to decide for himself, but personally I stand by what I've said. Whilst Vetassess don't carry out a workplace assessment, they do carry out a very similar test to this and by an accredited provider (Tafe). You do get a "qualification" - OTSR/ AQFIII depending on trade. For the electrics side of things you get the OTSR to enable you to go and study for your A licence whilst working and earning with the provisional licence you can apply for straight away.

If you do contact Vetassess Declan, let us know what they say.

Last edited by Janna and Nick; Aug 3rd 2008 at 11:42 am.