Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrician General/Special Class Vetassess/TRA

Electrician General/Special Class Vetassess/TRA

Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all
Default Electrician General/Special Class Vetassess/TRA

Just getting paperwork ready for Vetassess OH is an electrician.

We are going through the checklist and 1 of the things we come unstuck on is it asks:
Are you able to solve problems in single and multiple path DC/AC circuits and solve problems in Electromagnetic circuits?

OH has completed his inspect and test course and has done this work regular but he has never worked with DC circuits that he's aware of in this context or electromagnetic circuits or we being a bit dim here does this mean something else? He does loads of testing in different industrial installations.

Anyone else feel a little uneasy with this?

Any advice or feedback from any sparkies would be great have you done these or do we think this is a glitch that will be ironed out?

Could someone clarify what is Electrician special class?
And as Vetassess now do assessment on General electrican and TRA still do Electrician special class which is best to go for?
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all
Default Re: Electrician General/Special Class Vetassess/TRA

Hi we are going vetassess and my OH is slightly confused on the wording but as no Electrician has been Vetassess route yet it is all new, we hopefully will be doing the assessment in December (guinea pigs) we have to as OH is 40 in Jan so we will lose some points. We will let everyone know what happens when he does it fingers crossed.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Becky,
your Hubby should be applying for the mechanics license its much more flexible for doing installation or maint work.

Now then DC circuits is just direct current as apposed to AC alternating current.
DC currents can run from small voltages to large voltages as AC can however when using DC current for control of machinery its better for switching its called clean switching no white noise.

But he will know the difference between DC & AC voltages & currents, its not that hard most sparks know most gear is now run through AC single phase or 3 phase.

if i can be of further assistance just ask
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your reply.
Can I just double should he be going for General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson assessed by TRA or General Electrician assess by Vetassess then mechanic instead of fitter for his licence when he gets out to Melbourne?

Hes does shed loads of testing mainly industrail but also does commercial and domestic (hes now the only tester for his company) he does all types of installations and maintenance. Pretty much everything.
What he really enjoys and wants to get into is new builds when we get to Melbourne as he prefers domestic and commercial.

Sorry to ask so many questions (OH working away as per usual) think it's time I sacked the agent already really really poor advice from them but it not their money if we fail is it!

Thanks in advance.

Becky
Old Oct 15th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Becky,
now then if he gets the mechanics license he can do all electrical work industrial or domestic, however if he gets the fitters license he may find it somewhat restricting in most fitters do panel wiring only, so he must make sure he does the mechanics application, tell him to make a CV listing all tools he has ever used if only the once, all cable types explain all in detail the people reading the application are NOT trade people they are administration morons, if he uses conduit then state that if he uses Galv or black enamel Pyro, SWA the full monty must be on the information sheet, also get any documents singed & dated with a magistrate or senior police officer & make copies all signed & dated. The more info you put in the better chance you will have of being accepted, i listed every thing on mine.
But when he is here he will have to go back to college (Tafe) to do a 12 week evening course x 1 night per week then do exams, they are a nightmare to be honest costing a lot of money for the exams.

He can do the A class license in S/A its a lot easier there ask wendy on here she is very good & well informed.

The A class license allows him to work unsupervised, if he does not get this license he wont be allowed to connect to any electrical supply of any nature without his work being continually monitored. I know what your now thinking he has been in the trade for XXXX amount of years it means sod all here love without getting the A class unrestricted license, he wont need his pipe vice i can assure you of that or his Pyro gear its hardly used unless your working in the petrol chem industry.

im her if you need help or send me a personal message if you like or email me at home
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becky723359
Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your reply.
Can I just double should he be going for General Mechanical Engineering Tradesperson assessed by TRA or General Electrician assess by Vetassess then mechanic instead of fitter for his licence when he gets out to Melbourne?
General Electrician from Vetassess, then Electrical Mechanic here
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:24 am
Just Joined

karan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shar07
Hi we are going vetassess and my OH is slightly confused on the wording but as no Electrician has been Vetassess route yet it is all new, we hopefully will be doing the assessment in December (guinea pigs) we have to as OH is 40 in Jan so we will lose some points. We will let everyone know what happens when he does it fingers crossed.
Hi there shar07 new to this site today so not sure how to use it properly just yet. but I read you are going on vett course in dec and that you will let us all know what happens my husband goes on it in feb for general electrician so would really appriciate any feedback you could share with us.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Hi Karan, As of yet we still have not heard if we are doing the course in December we have had no clarification of when or if. so just hoping really, if it is in Feb we will lose points as OH is 40 in Jan so just waiting to see what happens, if we are booked in for Dec will definately let people know what they ask. Thanks