electrical fitter/mechanic

Old Jun 19th 2009, 10:56 am
Account Closed

smithclarke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrical fitter/mechanic

excuse me for being thick but i have for a long time thought what the difference is,,example: jobs in the courier mail sometimes ask for electrical fitter/mechanic and then others ask for just mechanic??? fxxked if i know what the difference is. cheers peter.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: electrical fitter/mechanic

Hello All,

Mechanic is an coverall everything electrical and can do any electrical work, so all jobs are open to a mechanic. Fitter is more maintenance/workshop and is restricted on the amount of connections types he can make, ie only disconnect/reconnect like for like, can not run new wiring for an install, can construct a switchboard but not allowed to connect it.

When you get a mechanics licence you don't need to have the fitters licence, yet you can still do the fitters job. if you only have a fitters licence you can not do a mechanics job, when you apply for a mechanics licence you can tick the fitters box, then you end up with a electrical mechanics/fitters licence.

Anyone whois covered under the general electricians banner, will be able to gain a mechanics licence, having covered the extra demands of the Queensland council board.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin S;

there is a way round all this, even if you have the fitters license you can go to PEER in S/A then do there wiring rules course this gives you the full Unrestricted electrical license.
however i would recommend people do the PEER electrical distance course 1st that way you only have to do the exam.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

Arthur, jobs in Queensland are generally advertised by the title Electrical Fitter/Mechanic, or Electrical Mechanic or Electrical Fitter, my explanation is informing them why some have a job description with both titles.

What you say about the licence is true,

regards

Kevin
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:50 am
Account Closed

smithclarke is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the answers lads, don't think its me thats thick now,, more like the job advertisers,, peter.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:09 am
Just Joined

tonyree is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also thinking that an electrical mechanic is more superior than a fitter so when i received my artc as a fitter i was very upset and consulted my assessor and he said, It depends with the state which you apply your licence from as you will realize assessment is done by a commitee for the state which you intend to work for.

In south australia a mechanic is an electrician who does mostly domestic and commecial work while a fitter is an industrial electrician, there is no difference except areas of specialization.

If you check on the mutual recognition agreement you will see that an electrical fitter from south australia is equivalent to electrical mechanic in queensland.

Victoria does not classify its electricians as fitter or mechanic its either you are a qualified electrician or not.You can get all the equivalents on the mutual recognition website.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin S;

its a real nightmare for people this frigging license & its only going to get worse.

if people do the PEER course that's good but for some states for people who want the contractors license so they may start there own business that then becomes a nightmare.

In Victoria if a person does the wiring rules at PEER & they want to do the contractors course in Melbourne they then must do a disconnect, reconnect exam + 3 other exams.????

so if people do PEER i would also advise them to do the contractors cousr with PEER its much easier for people.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Hello All,

South Australia only does one licence and that is a workers registration, it make no reference to fitter or mechanic. i think that maybe you are confused about the ARTC certificate, where you can submit either and obtain a full licence having completed the wiring regs course.

You should also not think that a mechanic is superior electrician, there is more of a prospect as far as jobs go, it's a different style of electrical work.

Regards

Kevin