Domestic work SUCKS!!

Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

straussmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Domestic work SUCKS!!

Holy Jesus, what is all this crap! If its not playing with asbestos insulating panels its crawling ( at best ) through a 30c roof space dodging redback spiders and their webs.
Ive been self employed for just 5 months but i dont think i can take much more of this. Gutted, ive never seen such low pitched roofs before.

Id like to do commercial but havnt really got the bank balance for it at the moment so its either domestic or back to working for a commercial construction company

Just a heads up for some of you guys, bring your respirators and spiderproof overalls
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:06 am
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice
Default Re: Domestic work SUCKS!!

Tell me about it,spent best part of 12mths doing just that,and the moneys shite,Ive gotta get into some decent commercial work.Been in Melbourne 2yrs now and still trying to get into commercial/construction or union work,just cant seem to get the break.
Tried chatting to the union,just feels like a brick wall.

Anyone got any leads or contacts in the Melbourne area that might help

Dick

Last edited by mcv; Dec 18th 2011 at 6:49 am.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

2 years in domestic, 1 year in commercial (good money and clean job) and finally started in heavy construction up north (top money, easy work).
Old Dec 19th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

It's not so much the spiders as the big bloody snakes.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 7:02 am
Just Joined

quid81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i agree, i have a big work load i work for a yugoslave guy, i am thought highly of but oh biy i have to work for my money. I hate it if it wasn't for the fact that my aussie wife is enjoying being home, after 8 yrs in England i'd be on a plane tonight.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quid81
Yeah i agree, i have a big work load i work for a yugoslave guy, i am thought highly of but oh biy i have to work for my money. I hate it if it wasn't for the fact that my aussie wife is enjoying being home, after 8 yrs in England i'd be on a plane tonight.
Hi mate,
Welcome back. Have you had any problems trying to convert your SA licence to a QLD licence. From memory, I believe that you did the PEER route with the intention to get an SA licence and then a QLD licence.
As an aside, are you not settling well in OZ because of work or else?
Regards Derrren
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:18 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the standard of his work?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

quid81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work here on my SA licence when i went for the job i took a copy of the mutual recogition printed from the web. The boss asked me lots of questions about how i would wire up different things, he soon worked out that i knew my job. I must admit that it was a real shock moving meters renewing cables to the overhead, new entry box, soldering neutrals.
As i said earler the boss was from Yugoslavia actually Macadonia back in commy days sparks would be thrown in jail, if production was lost because of a stuff up. Therefore he has very high standards but is always trying to tell customers they need more upgrade work.
Yeah in the UK we use lots of clips etc and do a tidy job even if it will be hidden by plaster boards. Here we wire A to B and only put in a clip to keep wires out of harms way.
The crack with the roofs is kick up as many tiles as you need tape a couple of lengths of 25mm conduit together, push in the 8 metres then kick some more tiles. Tin roofs we often take a few sheets off, its only the asbestos sheets we leave alone.
I do stress over the jobs and don't sleep well here on work nights, i have a lot more responsability in my job with quotes invoicing etc argueing with Lebs and Indians over the bill. Last week i had to quote to move a 3 phase property pole at a small school i managed to bluff through the meeting, and got my boss to go down there after hours. for domestic jobs all i get is a txt with an address then i have to call the office say roughly how long i will be there. I call when i'm done then get a next address this can be anything up to 7 jobs in a day.
Back in blighty i did my time on a decent firm 40 odd bloke school rewires new houses all sorts, then 20 years of doing a real mix. But here i feel was like starting again. I can handle oz for a couple more yrs not sure about the work as a sparkie i sweat getting dressed.

regards
Tony
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:48 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I work here on my SA licence when i went for the job i took a copy of the mutual recogition printed from the web. The boss asked me lots of questions about how i would wire up different things, he soon worked out that i knew my job. I must admit that it was a real shock moving meters renewing cables to the overhead, new entry box, soldering neutrals.
As i said earler the boss was from Yugoslavia actually Macadonia back in commy days sparks would be thrown in jail, if production was lost because of a stuff up. Therefore he has very high standards but is always trying to tell customers they need more upgrade work.
Yeah in the UK we use lots of clips etc and do a tidy job even if it will be hidden by plaster boards. Here we wire A to B and only put in a clip to keep wires out of harms way.
The crack with the roofs is kick up as many tiles as you need tape a couple of lengths of 25mm conduit together, push in the 8 metres then kick some more tiles. Tin roofs we often take a few sheets off, its only the asbestos sheets we leave alone.
I do stress over the jobs and don't sleep well here on work nights, i have a lot more responsability in my job with quotes invoicing etc argueing with Lebs and Indians over the bill. Last week i had to quote to move a 3 phase property pole at a small school i managed to bluff through the meeting, and got my boss to go down there after hours. for domestic jobs all i get is a txt with an address then i have to call the office say roughly how long i will be there. I call when i'm done then get a next address this can be anything up to 7 jobs in a day.
Back in blighty i did my time on a decent firm 40 odd bloke school rewires new houses all sorts, then 20 years of doing a real mix. But here i feel was like starting again. I can handle oz for a couple more yrs not sure about the work as a sparkie i sweat getting dressed.

regards
Tony
Get another job mate. If you are going to work stressing or not sleeping properly then its time to move on. I know, I've been that man. I have actually moved into the security side and love it more. Though we are security we rarely do alarms. Not much money in it. We are more access control, lift control integrated with the intercom system which we install. We also do CCTV. Most jobs we/i work on are residential apartment blocks. These can vary in size. But since we actually work with some of the sparkies. I get to see some crap installs.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Must admit I was glad my most recent UK employment was Industrial Maintenance. From the wiring I have looked at in two properties both about 5/6 years old, the standards are Crap. wires fall out of terminals, switches/ sockets don`t have boxes and you don`t get much spare cable on the lighting circuits do you. Office/Commercial property maintenance is another route.