DOL starter

Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about
Default DOL starter

Out of interest,

Do you just get given a 230 volt 4 pole contactor with a set of overloads to wire up on a bench with fly leads???

Do you just have to prove you can wire a no volt release circuit with push buttons or do you have to make the motor connections aswell?

Sounds like this is the task which is catching the most people out?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DOL starter

In WA for your A grade exam you are given a grey box with flying lead connections and a set of leads all connections are marked up as if it was a contactor. You then have to connect up for the motor to run.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brigall View Post
In WA for your A grade exam you are given a grey box with flying lead connections and a set of leads all connections are marked up as if it was a contactor. You then have to connect up for the motor to run.
Sorry mate, my fault, i meant for the vetts practical exam
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonsparx View Post
Out of interest,

Do you just get given a 230 volt 4 pole contactor with a set of overloads to wire up on a bench with fly leads???

Do you just have to prove you can wire a no volt release circuit with push buttons or do you have to make the motor connections aswell?

Sounds like this is the task which is catching the most people out?
Yes and yes and you are given a diagram to follow - that was in the April round. My OH was also asked to wire up a remote start and stop. He can't remember if he had a diagram for this one or not and if everyone did it.

Good luck!!

Mel
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

For the July vetassess you had to wire the control circuit for a DOL starter. You were given a remote start/stop, a 415 contactor with 230 coil, a thermal overload device and a connecter block which was connected at the bottom of your start stop. You were also given a coil of 2.5 single brown. You are given a hand drawn wiring diagram. You are asked to wire it from the diagram omitting the 'hold on' connection first of all. Then he asks what happens when you add the final connections. Then he gets you to wire the final part.
Pretty straight forward. The numbers and letters were worn off the contactor/coil we got so we had a bit of 'ringing out to do'. Our assessor asks a couple of the sparks what would you do differently if it was a 415 coil but there was nothing really to trip you up. If you want any further info PM.
Davy
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

ianandclaire is just really niceianandclaire is just really niceianandclaire is just really niceianandclaire is just really niceianandclaire is just really niceianandclaire is just really niceianandclaire is just really niceianandclaire is just really nice

hi davy, cheers also for the info,
i have just sent my written off to vetassass this wek and am abit nervous about the practical, i've only done domestic and testing for the past 22 yrs, no motor circuits though, so any more info would be greatly appriciated, i.e what sort of reactive questions there were?

cheers again

ian
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

If there's anything your not sure about P.M. me. If i can help i will.Davy
Old Oct 24th 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

kennymac is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys like alot of people on here i am a bit concerned with the motor side of the exam and maybe i am alone on this but the resistors also.

do they make a big deal if you fail this side of the exam or am i/we worrying over it for nothing?

thanks kenny
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kennymac View Post
hi guys like alot of people on here i am a bit concerned with the motor side of the exam and maybe i am alone on this but the resistors also.

do they make a big deal if you fail this side of the exam or am i/we worrying over it for nothing?

thanks kenny
I think you are worrying over nothing. If you can follow a diagram and understand where to connect a meter for voltage/amp readings the resistors are ok. With the motor, a diagram was also supplied so following it should be ok. But it would help to do a bit of reading on the subject

Mel's OH
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

kennymac is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply

yes i will need to get reading my books :curse: i am sure i will be ok once the exam is underway and i stop sweating
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:51 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ianandclaire View Post
hi davy, cheers also for the info,
i have just sent my written off to vetassass this wek and am abit nervous about the practical, i've only done domestic and testing for the past 22 yrs, no motor circuits though, so any more info would be greatly appriciated, i.e what sort of reactive questions there were?

cheers again

ian
Sorry hun,

Just got a call from my bloke and he said the pages 3 and 4 of the exam were all about motor starts.

He's not happy.

he'll be on later to tell you the rest.