couple of newbie questions

Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:05 am
Just Joined

mr.sifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default couple of newbie questions

Evening folks, long time lurker first time poster! im making the move down under in early september on a whv, as my girlfriend has been there since february we are going to do the regional work for second whv straight away (sept-dec). From looking at the skills list it suggests that electrical work eg building services is applicable and im wondering if anybody has completed their required 88 days doing electrical work rather than picking fruit?

I am currently going through the ARTC process so ok on that front, can anybody confirm that i can work as a TA in any state once this is granted?

My background is in maintenance and i will be hoping to find similar industrial work but for the purpose of the regional work i intend on heading to either darwin or adelaide direction.

Also i have seen that i can do the white card course online for 67dollars over 4hrs before i get over, is there anything else i can do in the meantime? i presume all my confined space/working at height etc..... will be invalid.

Thanks for reading, any information appreciated
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: couple of newbie questions

Originally Posted by mr.sifter
Evening folks, long time lurker first time poster! im making the move down under in early september on a whv, as my girlfriend has been there since february we are going to do the regional work for second whv straight away (sept-dec). From looking at the skills list it suggests that electrical work eg building services is applicable and im wondering if anybody has completed their required 88 days doing electrical work rather than picking fruit?

I am currently going through the ARTC process so ok on that front, can anybody confirm that i can work as a TA in any state once this is granted?

My background is in maintenance and i will be hoping to find similar industrial work but for the purpose of the regional work i intend on heading to either darwin or adelaide direction.

Also i have seen that i can do the white card course online for 67dollars over 4hrs before i get over, is there anything else i can do in the meantime? i presume all my confined space/working at height etc..... will be invalid.

Thanks for reading, any information appreciated
Hi mr.sifter,

I hope you haven't actually applied for an ARTC, as any application from outside of Australia will be refused.

If you have read any of the threads, you may have already discovered that working as an electrician or even assistant is not easy.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi old.sparkles, yes I am aware of the artc rules, my application was rejected last year on that basis.

As regards work I am aware it is not easy to get going, I have a friend who went down the peer route recently and is now on good money in Darwin, however having spent the last 6 years working in manufacturing 6sigma/lean environment I may turn my hand to something similar as regards factory work.

Last edited by mr.sifter; Jul 12th 2013 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:46 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi old.sparkles, yes I am aware of the artc rules, my application was rejected last year on that basis.

As regards work I am aware it is not easy to get going, I have a friend who went down the peer route recently and is now on good money in Darwin, however having spent the last 6 years working in manufacturing 6sigma/lean environment I may turn my hand to something similar as regards factory work.
Not impossible, but not easy - I've had a few interviews but no job yet. I have OTSR though, and only provisional license although do have wiring rules, and currently doing MACGT.

Are you aware of the changes made to ARTC applications? They have to be decision ready, and following their guidelines.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

I've been following the rules and guidelines for 2 years! my application was built by a company that handles artc applications for uk and Irish electricians so was not complete until they were 100% satisfied and as I was in oz at the time of application there was a lot of paperwork sent back and forth.

given the recent changes to sponsorship I may just take a year out and work casual jobs and travel as I'm starting to feel quite late to the party........
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:19 pm

I've been following the rules and guidelines for 2 years! my application was built by a company that handles artc applications for uk and Irish electricians so was not complete until they were 100% satisfied and as I was in oz at the time of application there was a lot of paperwork sent back and forth.

given the recent changes to sponsorship I may just take a year out and work casual jobs and travel as I'm starting to feel quite late to the party........
Being in Australia does not meet the requirement - you have to reside in Australia and the holder of a visa allowing you to work in Australia.

2.4 Eligibility for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate
To be granted an ARTC, you must be able to demonstrate that you:
• are an Australian permanent resident or citizen, hold a New Zealand Passport or hold a visa that allows you to temporarily reside and work in your trade in Australia
• reside in Australia
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Being in Australia does not meet the requirement - you have to reside in Australia and the holder of a visa allowing you to work in Australia.

I have a visa and reside in australia im just in and out of the country at the moment due to family commitments, l intend on seeking work soon which is why i posted the questions on regional work as a TA.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:33 pm

I have a visa and reside in australia im just in and out of the country at the moment due to family commitments, l intend on seeking work soon which is why i posted the questions on regional work as a TA.
Sorry - I misunderstood when you said you were coming on a WHV in September.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Apologies, it is a complicated situation, what kind of experiences have you had at interviews so far? Other than the white card is there anything else to have before seeking work?
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:59 pm

Apologies, it is a complicated situation, what kind of experiences have you had at interviews so far? Other than the white card is there anything else to have before seeking work?
Most recent knockback was as a technical officer, and hiring company said they thought it would take me too long to get A license working for them and that wouldn't be fair on me. Lots of employers don't know what they need to do if candidate has overseas qualifications and supervised license.

Other interviews result was another candidate was better match, and most rejection letters are standard ' sorry there was a high standard of applicants'.

Anyway, not sure of where you are planning on heading. If you successfully get an ARTC - NSW no longer recognise it, SA will allow you to get full license after completing wiring rules at the moment, WA will let you get supervised license lasting 1 year (haven't checked other states yet). NSW will allow you to work as unlicensed electrician though, and not sure if you need any license to work as trades assistant but never goes amiss. White cards are for construction sites - you'll also need first aid for any job I think, and OHS wouldn't harm. Confined space, working at height, MEWP's are all separate tickets too.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the detailed reply, i had a similar reply from an internal position within my previous employer advertised in Brisbane, ticked all the boxes but as they were unfamiliar with the process werent willing to go down that road.

I think given the circumstances il either opt for the peer veet route or take my chances in NSW after i complete the regional work, no doubt the rules will have changed again by then!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:51 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply, i had a similar reply from an internal position within my previous employer advertised in Brisbane, ticked all the boxes but as they were unfamiliar with the process werent willing to go down that road.

I think given the circumstances il either opt for the peer veet route or take my chances in NSW after i complete the regional work, no doubt the rules will have changed again by then!
If you are successful with the ARTC application, PEER is around $1500 for wiring rules with cost of books included ($790 for course and $645 for all the books if bought new), although I think I've seen TAFE SA offering the course a bit cheaper. If nothing changes, and you can get the A license, that would make finding work a lot easier.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

If you want to work in construction as a sparkie or TA you will have a better chance with EWP and working at heights tickets, first aid is not mandatory neither OHS (depends what do you mean by OHS, OHS could be Certificate IV in OHS which is a complete qualification).

Anyway it seems SA is the best path at the moment for all of you guys. Do the course, take the license and thanks to mutual recognition transfer you license to VIC, NSW, WA or any other.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Deyan
If you want to work in construction as a sparkie or TA you will have a better chance with EWP and working at heights tickets, first aid is not mandatory neither OHS (depends what do you mean by OHS, OHS could be Certificate IV in OHS which is a complete qualification).

Anyway it seems SA is the best path at the moment for all of you guys. Do the course, take the license and thanks to mutual recognition transfer you license to VIC, NSW, WA or any other.
Hi Deyan, we were just told that OH&s (or Workplace, health and safety) and Rescue from live electrical equipment were mandatory - and elec rescue has to be repeated every 12 months.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Nothing like that in WA. The big companies have they own site safety induction (as you said Workplace safety and health), their safety advisers are running inductions or they are paying for that to another providers. Small companies have no inductions at all, neither OH&S or rescue from live electrical equipment etc.

You should try your luck with job over here in WA, enough jobs at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.