Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Claiming tax back on Peer course

Claiming tax back on Peer course

Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:00 am
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road
Default Claiming tax back on Peer course

Hello all,

Leaving it late to put in my tax return i know, but just wondering if anyone has claimed back all flights, accom, course, licence fee & mutual recognition transfer in their end of year accounts.

I passed my course in tax year 07/08 a week before the tax year ended so did not earn enough to put in a tax return in 07/08.

I was not working during studying because nobody would employ me without my A-Grade licence.

Am looking at claiming it all back this tax year but wondered how many years you get to claim?

Cheers

John
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: Claiming tax back on Peer course

Hello All,

I believe you have to claim it in the same tax year that it was spent, so when you do your taxes for that year include your expenses.

Regards

Kevin
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:19 am
Canary who flew the nest

NCFC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello All,

I believe you have to claim it in the same tax year that it was spent, so when you do your taxes for that year include your expenses.

Regards

Kevin
Cheers for that, not the answer i was hoping for as the tax year i did the course, i earned absolutely nothing! Oh well, better look at claiming a few other things then.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

NCFC;

regardless of NOT making a profit if you did your course in the current tax year & the course is educational for your job you can claim 100% back.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

Hi,

I tried to claim back my expenses for the peer course but was told by my accountant that I couldn't because I was a trade assistant at the time and not an electrician. I tried to explain that I had to do the course to become an electrician and was told it didn't matter. talk about catch 22!!

Adrian