Becoming a spark in Victoria

Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:49 am
Just Joined

FT398 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Becoming a spark in Victoria

Hi.

I wonder if somebody can give me details of what steps I would need to undertake to get licensed as a spark in Victoria?

As a bit of background, before leaving the UK I got my skills assessed by TRA who classed me as a 'General Electrician'. I had worked as a spark for 20ish years before moving into electrical design work (all at the same company). After I moved here I continued to work for (and still do work for) the same UK company albeit I now work from home but still doing the same work. But as time has passed and 30+ years at the same place combined with working from home for too long I'm getting a bit of cabin fever and feel it's time for me to go back on the tools and the sites but don't really know where to start.

It seems that the more I read the more confused I get as there are so many varying experiences or people coming with different backgrounds etc or going to different states. From the few people I've spoken to around here who have 'a friend of a friend who knows a spark' they tell me that getting a license in Vic is not an easy task but can obviously never expand on that.

All my Google searches seem to lead me to forums full of confused people looking for similar info but I never seem to be able to find any 'definitive' answers of what I do with my TRA assessment and whose nose I need to wave it under.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:33 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming a spark in Victoria

Originally Posted by FT398
Hi.

I wonder if somebody can give me details of what steps I would need to undertake to get licensed as a spark in Victoria?

As a bit of background, before leaving the UK I got my skills assessed by TRA who classed me as a 'General Electrician'. I had worked as a spark for 20ish years before moving into electrical design work (all at the same company). After I moved here I continued to work for (and still do work for) the same UK company albeit I now work from home but still doing the same work. But as time has passed and 30+ years at the same place combined with working from home for too long I'm getting a bit of cabin fever and feel it's time for me to go back on the tools and the sites but don't really know where to start.

It seems that the more I read the more confused I get as there are so many varying experiences or people coming with different backgrounds etc or going to different states. From the few people I've spoken to around here who have 'a friend of a friend who knows a spark' they tell me that getting a license in Vic is not an easy task but can obviously never expand on that.

All my Google searches seem to lead me to forums full of confused people looking for similar info but I never seem to be able to find any 'definitive' answers of what I do with my TRA assessment and whose nose I need to wave it under.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Have you contacted Vic Uni at all to see if they can offer any guidance - they are an RTO for TRA. Not sure of any others but not in Victoria.

You say you have skills assessed by TRA - do you have ARTC or migration assessment?
Old Sep 29th 2014, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
...do you have ARTC or migration assessment?
Sorry for the delay in responding - I have been searching for the paperwork to check. It appears that the TRA provided me with a pre-migration skills assessment. I wasn't sure what I was given as I actually did this almost as a last-minute thing - we already had our visa sorted out prior to me getting my skills assessed and I just thought I may as well bring my trade with me even though the original plan was not to use it.

So I'm now guessing that this assessment is actually worthless and I need to apply for an ARTC instead?

Looking on the EnergySafe Victoria webpage it states:
In order to apply for an electrical licence in Victoria, the first step for you is to be assessed by Trades Recognition Australia (TRA), which is issued by the Local (Electrical) Trades Committee. This assessment determines whether you are classified in Australia as an Electrical Mechanic or Electrical Fitter, regardless of the skills and experience you have obtained overseas.
And I think this is where I got lost last time I looked as it states TRA would class me as either Mechanic or Fitter but I actually got classed as 'General'.

Last edited by FT398; Sep 29th 2014 at 7:52 am.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 9:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the delay in responding - I have been searching for the paperwork to check. It appears that the TRA provided me with a pre-migration skills assessment. I wasn't sure what I was given as I actually did this almost as a last-minute thing - we already had our visa sorted out prior to me getting my skills assessed and I just thought I may as well bring my trade with me even though the original plan was not to use it.

So I'm now guessing that this assessment is actually worthless and I need to apply for an ARTC instead?

Looking on the EnergySafe Victoria webpage it states:

And I think this is where I got lost last time I looked as it states TRA would class me as either Mechanic or Fitter but I actually got classed as 'General'.
General Electrician is a classification for migration purposes only. If you apply for ARTC now you would need to select mechanic or fitter (or both and let them decide).

The alternative would be to see if you can do gap training with the assessment you have.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Just looked on the TRA website about applying for an ARTC and came across this:
The Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) programme will cease accepting applications on Tuesday 30 September 2014.

Perfect timing...

And reading a little further:
To replace the ARTC program, Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) is launching a new domestic skills recognition service, the Trades Recognition Service (TRS). The TRS is a skills assessment service for Australian residents who do not hold an Australian qualification relevant to their trade.

So it looks like I need to start looking into this new-fangled TRS thing and take it from there.

Thanks for your input thus far. I'm sure I'll back in the not too distant future with more questions.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 9:35 am

Just looked on the TRA website about applying for an ARTC and came across this:
The Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) programme will cease accepting applications on Tuesday 30 September 2014.

Perfect timing...

And reading a little further:
To replace the ARTC program, Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) is launching a new domestic skills recognition service, the Trades Recognition Service (TRS). The TRS is a skills assessment service for Australian residents who do not hold an Australian qualification relevant to their trade.

So it looks like I need to start looking into this new-fangled TRS thing and take it from there.

Thanks for your input thus far. I'm sure I'll back in the not too distant future with more questions.
Good luck with that.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

SparkyAU is an unknown quantity at this point

Victoria is the hardest to get a license in (soooo bloody anal about it here). I would have a chat to ESV about it, check there requirements for the "L" grade. That at least allows you to work.