Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:57 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
jackp1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

hello, I realise there is many threads on this subject already (I should know Ive read a lot of them) but not only does there seem to be a lot of contradicting answers given, some of them are quite old and Im not sure if the rules are still the same.
So allow me to first explain my situation and my plans. I have applied for and been granted a WHV, I plan to go july 2012. I am a qualified electrician having completed a 4 year apprenticeship in 2008 and have done the c&g 2391 also.
From reading past threads I have come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that the simplest way of gaining a mechanics licence is to -

- apply for a ARTC here in the UK before I enter OZ have it sent to my friend who is living in maccay QLD, (which is the state I was planning on getting my licence in)

- arrive in OZ next year, book myself on thier equivalent of the wiring regs, pass the exam and then pay for my licence in QLD.

-Thus giving me a valid 5 year licence that I hope will help me find employment there whilst on my 1st and 2nd year WHV and a possible sponsor if I decide I like the place enough to migrate.

Is this still a possible route to go down and is it as easy as it sounds?

thanks in advance for any advice.
jackp1986 is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:16 pm
  #2  
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross
 
rinkerdink's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 653
rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

On the face of ot you have it pretty much right. Only snag being working from artc to licence, this varies between states and can take up to a year (which will be no use to you). The fastest way is to get a South Australian licence but there are problems converting this to other states (this should be a simple exercise) under the mutual recognition agreement so it may not be of any use.

In short you are correct but the time taken to get a licence could scupper your plans
rinkerdink is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 8:04 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
jackp1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

Originally Posted by rinkerdink View Post
On the face of ot you have it pretty much right. Only snag being working from artc to licence, this varies between states and can take up to a year (which will be no use to you). The fastest way is to get a South Australian licence but there are problems converting this to other states (this should be a simple exercise) under the mutual recognition agreement so it may not be of any use.

In short you are correct but the time taken to get a licence could scupper your plans
Hi, thank you for your reply. So could I ask why the time scale is so long? and if I had the ATRC ready and waiting for when I land in OZ would it be possible to book the course whilst in the UK for when I arrive in OZ, that way giving me just under a year to sort the licence?
many thanks.
jackp1986 is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:05 am
  #4  
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross
 
rinkerdink's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 653
rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

Originally Posted by jackp1986 View Post
Hi, thank you for your reply. So could I ask why the time scale is so long? and if I had the ATRC ready and waiting for when I land in OZ would it be possible to book the course whilst in the UK for when I arrive in OZ, that way giving me just under a year to sort the licence?
many thanks.
It really does depend on the state where you apply for the licence in WA andQLD, you do a course then have to complete a log book whilst working supervised by a licenced electrician. In SA it's a short course and assessment circa 2 weeks if you've done the correspondence work books previously but the downside is other states refusing to honour the mutual recognition agreement.

Have a look at a few threads on here, although QLD is accepted as one of the worst it is said a licence can be achieved in around 3 months if you have a supportive employer and can pass the assessment, try googling QET electrical training and you'll quickly find the RTO (recognised training organisation) in the Brisbane area that can help with this. Alternatively it is said that you can work unlicenced quite freely in NSW on sites with licenced sparkies supervising
rinkerdink is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:29 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
jackp1986 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

Originally Posted by rinkerdink View Post
It really does depend on the state where you apply for the licence in WA andQLD, you do a course then have to complete a log book whilst working supervised by a licenced electrician. In SA it's a short course and assessment circa 2 weeks if you've done the correspondence work books previously but the downside is other states refusing to honour the mutual recognition agreement.

Have a look at a few threads on here, although QLD is accepted as one of the worst it is said a licence can be achieved in around 3 months if you have a supportive employer and can pass the assessment, try googling QET electrical training and you'll quickly find the RTO (recognised training organisation) in the Brisbane area that can help with this. Alternatively it is said that you can work unlicenced quite freely in NSW on sites with licenced sparkies supervising
So it doesn't sound as easy as I was led to believe. Thank you for the advice. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get the ARTC anyway so I have it.. Would this be seen as an advantage to any OZ potential employers? Thank you.
jackp1986 is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 1:45 pm
  #6  
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross
 
rinkerdink's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 653
rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

Originally Posted by jackp1986 View Post
So it doesn't sound as easy as I was led to believe. Thank you for the advice. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get the ARTC anyway so I have it.. Would this be seen as an advantage to any OZ potential employers? Thank you.
Yes it will be well worth having, if you plan to emmigrate to Australia at some point then you'll need to get one at some stage anyway, as for employers it can only go in your favour, once you have explained to them what one is...
rinkerdink is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2011, 2:05 am
  #7  
Worongary
 
steve`o's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: GC hinterland
Posts: 10,288
steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

Originally Posted by jackp1986 View Post
hello, I realise there is many threads on this subject already (I should know Ive read a lot of them) but not only does there seem to be a lot of contradicting answers given, some of them are quite old and Im not sure if the rules are still the same.
So allow me to first explain my situation and my plans. I have applied for and been granted a WHV, I plan to go july 2012. I am a qualified electrician having completed a 4 year apprenticeship in 2008 and have done the c&g 2391 also.
From reading past threads I have come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that the simplest way of gaining a mechanics licence is to -

- apply for a ARTC here in the UK before I enter OZ have it sent to my friend who is living in maccay QLD, (which is the state I was planning on getting my licence in)

- arrive in OZ next year, book myself on thier equivalent of the wiring regs, pass the exam and then pay for my licence in QLD.

-Thus giving me a valid 5 year licence that I hope will help me find employment there whilst on my 1st and 2nd year WHV and a possible sponsor if I decide I like the place enough to migrate.

Is this still a possible route to go down and is it as easy as it sounds?

thanks in advance for any advice.

not 100% sure how a whv visa works but i`m assumining as its a 1 year visa and your coming next july that the visa is valid from next july?
the reason i ask is that you cannot apply for an artc without a current visa wether it be a whv, sponsord or permanant visa it has to be currently active


steve
steve`o is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2011, 3:22 am
  #8  
Naughty but nice...
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC - gaining a licence on a WHV

Originally Posted by steve`o View Post
not 100% sure how a whv visa works but i`m assumining as its a 1 year visa and your coming next july that the visa is valid from next july?
the reason i ask is that you cannot apply for an artc without a current visa wether it be a whv, sponsord or permanant visa it has to be currently active


steve
Yes, a WHV becomes active when you enter Australia.
Wendy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.