ARTC Application

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

r10ley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC Application

Hi everyone, looking for some information. Im lucky enough to have been granted a 176 Visa via my partner and were looking to move to Oz in January of 2013.

First question would it be to early now to send off an ARTC application or would this not be a problem. Next question is im lead to believe that a Electrical Mechanic is what I should be applying for and not an Electrcial Fitter could anybody advise me on the difference?

Id also like to know the likelyhood of myself being granted a Licence. I have served a 4 year apprenticeship as a Maintenance Electrician with 2 and a half years of post apprenticeship experience. I have my 17th edition and 2391 cert. My main duties are planned maintenance but I regularly install and test new installations.

Any info would be great.

Regards

r10ley
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 10:42 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC Application

Originally Posted by r10ley
Hi everyone, looking for some information. Im lucky enough to have been granted a 176 Visa via my partner and were looking to move to Oz in January of 2013.

First question would it be to early now to send off an ARTC application or would this not be a problem. Next question is im lead to believe that a Electrical Mechanic is what I should be applying for and not an Electrcial Fitter could anybody advise me on the difference?

Id also like to know the likelyhood of myself being granted a Licence. I have served a 4 year apprenticeship as a Maintenance Electrician with 2 and a half years of post apprenticeship experience. I have my 17th edition and 2391 cert. My main duties are planned maintenance but I regularly install and test new installations.

Any info would be great.

Regards

r10ley
Hi,

Mechanic is what you want but given what you have said I expect you will. Be graded as fitter due to your apprenticeship and work experience but you never know, you might be ok. Mechanic allows you to install new circuits and installations while fitter only let's you carry out repairs to an installation so is suited to maintenance work. On the artc note it looks like they required some hard proof that you are actually in Australia now, untility bills etc so you will probably have to wait until you land before applying this doesn't mean you shouldn't start getting the application ready though it will be far easier to get it together when you are in the uk than via correspondence once you are in australia. Good luck there is tons of info on here to help and ask away with any questions
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for your reply.

I keep reading the info on here and my head start spinning lol. I understand what your saying regarding being a fitter however ill have to emphasise my installation work and hope for the best : )

Can anybody describe to me the process of gaining your licence once your have sent off your ARTC and had it approved as either a fitter/mechanic. I looked through a lot of info and some people describe it as completing just a 2 week course, others mention a practical exam and other mention 12 month gap training with a log book. Im not sure what to expect. Im looking to live in WA if that helps.

Regards

r10ley
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:47 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your reply.

I keep reading the info on here and my head start spinning lol. I understand what your saying regarding being a fitter however ill have to emphasise my installation work and hope for the best : )

Can anybody describe to me the process of gaining your licence once your have sent off your ARTC and had it approved as either a fitter/mechanic. I looked through a lot of info and some people describe it as completing just a 2 week course, others mention a practical exam and other mention 12 month gap training with a log book. Im not sure what to expect. Im looking to live in WA if that helps.

Regards

r10ley
It depends on which state you are hoping to get licenced in hence the conflicting info. I'd suggest emphasising the installation aspects of your apprenticeship and not mentioning the maintenance aspects of it. I got a fitters ARTC depsite following all the advice that has worked for others on here and I think it was due to my apprenticeship not being solely installation work (and to hell with what i've done since WTF)

I think WA are one of the ones that have recently stopped the 2 week course route to a licence and are now requiring 12 months on the job gap training, but i may be wrong, i'm sure one of the other regulars will be along shortly to put you straight on this.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help. Is there a way to bridge ur licience from fitter to mechanic once in Oz? Also are u able to work as a spark whilst Doing your gap training?

Thanks

r10ley
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:32 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Red face Re: ARTC Application

Thanks for your help. Is there a way to bridge ur licience from fitter to mechanic once in Oz? Also are u able to work as a spark whilst Doing your gap training?

Thanks

r10ley
I can only talk about Queensland where you can work from fitter to mechanic licence. A local tafe (technical college) will be the best place to look into how you would upgrade if you were given a fitters artc. But you would need a full fitters licence first to work from, this will most likely require sOme gap training to achieve in the first instance.

There are a few paths and options that you will be able to read all about on here
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help, presumably before you are granted your full license you are employed as a trade assistant. Will it be easyish to find a job as a trade assistant?

Thanks

r10let
Old Mar 4th 2012, 11:02 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

Thanks for your help, presumably before you are granted your full license you are employed as a trade assistant. Will it be easyish to find a job as a trade assistant?

Thanks

r10let
There is the crux of the issue...

You need to get some kind of work as a trade assistant, complete some evening classes at tafe for up to a year and complete a log book and have it signed off.

From what I've heard the practicalities of getting the log book signed off are not that bad but you still need to find an understanding and supportive employer to take you on as a TA that needs to work alongside licences electricians.

I don't think it's too bad in practice but you can understand all the concerns people have
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

I certainly can. A quick question when reading threw the guidelines for employer references with regard to the ARTC form it states they should be certified. How do I go about doing this and did anybody else do this?

regards

r10ley