ARTC Application

Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

jon_d_h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC Application

Hi

I am going to Australia in November and am currently working as an electrical technical engineer so am applying for electical mechanic on my ARTC.

I want to get all the information in for my application but am finding it hard to know what needed to be inclueded.

Is there any help on filling out the application anywhere?

The bits I am stuck with are:

Would I apply for fitter or mechanic (same situation as post below by eriks)?

When they say: Detailed proof of relevant employment such as statements from your employer detailing your occupation, exact employment periods and a full description of the nature and content of your work along with the machines, tools and equipment you used. What exactly is needed?

For part 10, discription of work, how much detail are they looking for. I know the more I put in, the better, but how deep do I go into describing things and do I need to give loads of example of jobs? I was planning on inclueding my NVQ 3 work with details of jobs I have done for that.

It also says, all documents are certified true copys of original. What exactly is ment by this?

Sorry if this has already been asked

Cheers

Jon
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ARTC Application

hello mate

put as much as possible they are right fannies about it. include as many references as you can because if they want more info it won't be assessed until the following month and give as much detail as possible.

mechanic is for installation, fitter i think is maintenance and not working in mains boards. so mechanic is the one to get.

there is a list of tools on here somewhere that i used and used re-arranged use examples of jobs, i did and they only asked for a reference from who i did my apprenticeship with.

hope this helps

jon

Last edited by jonnyd; Sep 10th 2010 at 8:56 am.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonnyd
hello mate

put as much as possible they are right fannies about it. include as many references as you can because if they want more info it won't be assessed until the following month and give as much detail as possible.

mechanic is for installation, fitter i think is maintenance and not working in mains boards. so mechanic is the one to get.

there is a list of tools on here somewhere that i used and used re-arranged use examples of jobs, i did and they only asked for a reference from who i did my apprenticeship with.

hope this helps

jon
Thanks for the advice.

I am a factory maintenance engineer. Should I still apply for the mechanic job?

I was planing on laying my write up as bellow: ?

Start with info about my apprenticeship inc, roles in the job, give maybe 3 examples of projects I had inc what I did, planning, etc.

Then mention my year after apprenticeship working on shift as maintenance electrician doing breakdowns. Mention 3 example jobs and explain them.

Then, explain about 6 more jobs in detail about electrical instalation/maintenance jobs I have done.

List of machines worked on (high speed packing line, robots etc)

List of equipment worked on (PED sensors, Transformers etc) Should this just be a list or do I need some sort of info?

List of materials used (cables, conduilts etc)

List of tools used (multimete, insulation testers, screwdrivers etc)

Would that be enough?

Any help is appriciated.

I was also planning on fitting in when mentioning about my apprenticeship, to see my NVQ3 work and photocopy all the job write ups I did for that and put them in and appendix at the back?

What you think?

Thanks

Jon
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon_d_h
Thanks for the advice.

I am a factory maintenance engineer. Should I still apply for the mechanic job?

I was planing on laying my write up as bellow: ?

Start with info about my apprenticeship inc, roles in the job, give maybe 3 examples of projects I had inc what I did, planning, etc.

Then mention my year after apprenticeship working on shift as maintenance electrician doing breakdowns. Mention 3 example jobs and explain them.

Then, explain about 6 more jobs in detail about electrical instalation/maintenance jobs I have done.

List of machines worked on (high speed packing line, robots etc)

List of equipment worked on (PED sensors, Transformers etc) Should this just be a list or do I need some sort of info?

List of materials used (cables, conduilts etc)

List of tools used (multimete, insulation testers, screwdrivers etc)

Would that be enough?

Any help is appriciated.

I was also planning on fitting in when mentioning about my apprenticeship, to see my NVQ3 work and photocopy all the job write ups I did for that and put them in and appendix at the back?

What you think?

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

Go for the electrical mechanic because most employers will want that. My OH works in a robotics environment, he does very little electrical work but they wanted someone with an 'A' class (full) licence. As do most of the employers here. Always better to have the full licence than not anyway
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Jon,

Go for the electrical mechanic because most employers will want that. My OH works in a robotics environment, he does very little electrical work but they wanted someone with an 'A' class (full) licence. As do most of the employers here. Always better to have the full licence than not anyway
Thanks for the help

I am currently writing this all up. I am planning on giving up to 20 different example of fault finding and installation jobs giving details of certian tests done and how I did things.

Could anyone give me any othere things I should inclued and how much detail I should give. Here is one of the installation jobs I have written up. Is there enough detail here:

Installation of an automatic security light
A light required fitting on one of the entrances to the factory which would activate when it sensed the movement of someone coming to the door on a dark night.

a) Electrical drawings were checked to see where the best place to supply the light was from. It was decided that one of the local distribution boards inside the factory would supply the light.
b) Calculations were done to make sure the board had the capacity to supply the light, cable diameter and for the circuit protection.
c) Modifications were made to the electrical drawings for the new light showing where it was fed from, cable and component identifications and how it would be controlled. It was decided that there would be no manual switch to control the light and it would just operate when triggered.
d) The light and sensor were mounted to the wall above the door using a masonry drill, rawl plugs and screws.
e) A hole was drilled nearby to pass the supply cable through the wall and into the factory. This was done using a 110v power drill with a 2ft masonry drill bit. The drill was operated in the hammer position.
f) The cable was passed through the wall attached to a rod which made it easier to push through the double layer brick wall.
g) The light was wired up by stripping the 2 core and earth 1.5mm cable using a Stanley knife and wire strippers.
h) The cable hole was filled in to keep the inside water tight using cable putty.
i) The cable was fastened to the wall using XXXXX U clamps and neatly went back to the distribution board.
j) A hole was cut in the bottom of the distribution board using a 20mm hole saw.
k) A compression gland and lock nut was used to secure the cable into the panel so it would not pull out and would be water tight.
l) The cables were terminated into the circuit breaker using bootlace ferrules and was earthed to the earth busbar.
m) The circuit was inspected visually and was tested for earth continuity and polarity before energising.
n) It was energised and the sensor sensitivity was adjusted and set up as per manual.

It isnt completely finished and needs some spelling and correct names of parts putting in.

Thanks

Jon
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:07 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon_d_h
Thanks for the help

I am currently writing this all up. I am planning on giving up to 20 different example of fault finding and installation jobs giving details of certian tests done and how I did things.

Could anyone give me any othere things I should inclued and how much detail I should give. Here is one of the installation jobs I have written up. Is there enough detail here:

Installation of an automatic security light
A light required fitting on one of the entrances to the factory which would activate when it sensed the movement of someone coming to the door on a dark night.

a) Electrical drawings were checked to see where the best place to supply the light was from. It was decided that one of the local distribution boards inside the factory would supply the light.
b) Calculations were done to make sure the board had the capacity to supply the light, cable diameter and for the circuit protection.
c) Modifications were made to the electrical drawings for the new light showing where it was fed from, cable and component identifications and how it would be controlled. It was decided that there would be no manual switch to control the light and it would just operate when triggered.
d) The light and sensor were mounted to the wall above the door using a masonry drill, rawl plugs and screws.
e) A hole was drilled nearby to pass the supply cable through the wall and into the factory. This was done using a 110v power drill with a 2ft masonry drill bit. The drill was operated in the hammer position.
f) The cable was passed through the wall attached to a rod which made it easier to push through the double layer brick wall.
g) The light was wired up by stripping the 2 core and earth 1.5mm cable using a Stanley knife and wire strippers.
h) The cable hole was filled in to keep the inside water tight using cable putty.
i) The cable was fastened to the wall using XXXXX U clamps and neatly went back to the distribution board.
j) A hole was cut in the bottom of the distribution board using a 20mm hole saw.
k) A compression gland and lock nut was used to secure the cable into the panel so it would not pull out and would be water tight.
l) The cables were terminated into the circuit breaker using bootlace ferrules and was earthed to the earth busbar.
m) The circuit was inspected visually and was tested for earth continuity and polarity before energising.
n) It was energised and the sensor sensitivity was adjusted and set up as per manual.

It isnt completely finished and needs some spelling and correct names of parts putting in.

Thanks

Jon
jon make sure you include the following points
this is their for want of another word checklist

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the same range of work at the same level of skill as a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and/or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have sufficient theoretical or underpinning knowledge of the trade

the above is taken straight from the tra website

ive also added my work experiance and a copy of one of my references

best of luck

steve

ps nice to wends popping in to keep an eye on us
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve`o
jon make sure you include the following points
this is their for want of another word checklist

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the same range of work at the same level of skill as a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and/or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have sufficient theoretical or underpinning knowledge of the trade

the above is taken straight from the tra website

ive also added my work experiance and a copy of one of my references

best of luck

steve

ps nice to wends popping in to keep an eye on us
Hi

Thanks for the reply, did you provide the one work experience example as I have written a number of different ones?

Also, would you say mine is in as much detail as required?

I have 1 referance currently from the engineering manager but am hoping to get another from the electrical manager as I am still in work. It has the company header and will be signed.

With regards to certifying all that is submitted to them, I was planning on getting every page stamped with the company logo, writing "this is a certified copy" and a signiture from either HR or engineering manager.

Also, my visa is a working holiday visa and is not a letter sent to me. I have just had confirmation it has been granted. What proof do they want of a visa and how does that need certifying?

Sorry for all the questions but I dont know any other way of finding the answers.

Thank you for your time

Jon
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:36 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the reply, did you provide the one work experience example as I have written a number of different ones?

i only supplied the one as per my previous post but additional info is always good

Also, would you say mine is in as much detail as required?

i`m really dont feel qualified to say mate, just remeber to get all the items referenced in my earlier post as i believe that they use this as a check list

I have 1 referance currently from the engineering manager but am hoping to get another from the electrical manager as I am still in work. It has the company header and will be signed.

With regards to certifying all that is submitted to them, I was planning on getting every page stamped with the company logo, writing "this is a certified copy" and a signiture from either HR or engineering manager.

watch the certifying bit, there are only certian persons who they will accept as certifiers, i used a managing director and backed this up with the info that in the uk a md can certify a passport application

Also, my visa is a working holiday visa and is not a letter sent to me. I have just had confirmation it has been granted. What proof do they want of a visa and how does that need certifying?

not 100% sure mate but i would assume that the number and a certified copy of the visa would surfice

Sorry for all the questions but I dont know any other way of finding the answers.

try searching on here mate theres aload of info written here every week

Thank you for your time

Jon

good luck mate

regards steve
Old May 19th 2011, 7:48 am
Just Joined

podger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ARTC Application/employer ref and details of duties and tasks

hello im stuck on 2 parts of my artc part of my form.detailed references from my employers as my employer didnt give me a detailed ref and the part that i have to write all the details of the duties and tasks,tools,machines and equipment i used..was wonding if anybody out there could pm me their employer refs and the detailed form they wrote out as im really struggling here and coming close to the end of my whv..it would b greatly appreciated