ARTC

Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

aarone1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARTC

HI

im new to this i am looking to go to perth Australia around January time 2014 on a 12 month working visa. I am an electrician living in northern ireland

I am applying for a ARTC license im looking a bit of advice on

1. the cost of it ?

2. is it necessary to have to work for a year

and just anyother advice that you may think is important

Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARTC

Originally Posted by aarone1991
HI

im new to this i am looking to go to perth Australia around January time 2014 on a 12 month working visa. I am an electrician living in northern ireland

I am applying for a ARTC license im looking a bit of advice on

1. the cost of it ?

2. is it necessary to have to work for a year

and just anyother advice that you may think is important

Thanks
Hi aarone,

You can't apply for an ARTC until you are in Australia, and the cost went up recently to $930 for the initial charge, although they can still ask you to do trade test I believe which is a further cost. I'm not sure which states will accept ARTC for a license as they have been moving towards Australian work experience and log books. SA currently do, and after ARTC you can do wiring rules at PEER to get A license at the moment, but in some states you can get work unlicensed - NSW for sure.

If you are going to apply for ARTC when you arrive you will need detailed references off current and past employers (certified copies) that must be on company headed paper. You'll also need copies of qualifications, apprentice papers, etc. Make sure you read the guidelines and advice notes as well as the actual application form.

Good luck
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are on a holiday visa i wouldn't bother. In WA for example altogether it will cost you $3500 upwards and 4 weeks at college plus you have to do homework too .You will not apply for an ARTC and complete the gap training in 12 months anyways. Just enjoy your holiday visa and forget about the license.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:29 am
Just Joined

aarone1991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replies. I have been told about trade assistant jobs what is involed in getting a job of that nature. My heads turned I don't know what to do really I know I'm only planning for a years working holiday but I wanna do something related to what I have trained for.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aarone1991
Thanks for replies. I have been told about trade assistant jobs what is involed in getting a job of that nature. My heads turned I don't know what to do really I know I'm only planning for a years working holiday but I wanna do something related to what I have trained for.
You can search TA jobs on seek.com.au - they do come up fairly regular but you may have to get a little lucky too. Are you only planning on Perth area?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

I never saw any advertise related to TA jobs in WA (except for mines). It's actually all about who you know, if somebody can recommend you maybe you will get a job as a TA in electrical field but bear in mind you will get no more than $20 - $28/ hour which sometimes is not enough for living in so expensive Perth at the moment.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really niceLou_Diamond_Phillips is just really nice

Easiest thing to do is head to NSW, as you can work unlicensed there.

I think you can extend a working holiday visa for an additional 12 months if you do fruit picking for about 3 months. Not sure of the exact details.

If you're determined to head to Perth, then you could probably get work as a sparkie TA. Pay depends on the company, last site I was on they were only on $5 an hour less than the sparks. But that was a mine site and the TA's had to have PR and live local. Maybe e mail Energy Safety, explain your situation and ask about getting a provisional license.

Previously, all lads had to do was apply for an ARTC, arrive in Perth and sit a 2 week license course to get their A grade. But it's all changed in the last 12 months.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

billywhizz82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm in the same situation as the original post, ill be arriving in Perth late August on a one year WHV. I know if I went to Sydney I would find work as TA, but for some reason I'm drawn to Perth, couple of friends there. I originally was going to apply for my ARTC paying $300 and then do a two week course to obtain my A License. But I've heard its all changed, ARTC is now $930 and you now have to do a 12 month log book instead.

So is there any point in me applying for my ARTC? will it open up anymore job opportunities up?

Also when I return to the UK after a year and if I decide to return to OZ on a Skilled worker visa, will the ARTC be beneficial in anyway?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by billywhizz82
Hi

I'm in the same situation as the original post, ill be arriving in Perth late August on a one year WHV. I know if I went to Sydney I would find work as TA, but for some reason I'm drawn to Perth, couple of friends there. I originally was going to apply for my ARTC paying $300 and then do a two week course to obtain my A License. But I've heard its all changed, ARTC is now $930 and you now have to do a 12 month log book instead.

So is there any point in me applying for my ARTC? will it open up anymore job opportunities up?

Also when I return to the UK after a year and if I decide to return to OZ on a Skilled worker visa, will the ARTC be beneficial in anyway?
Hi Billy,

To apply for the ARTC you will need very detailed references to go with your qualifications, and have a decision ready application. If you were going through SA at all, having an ARTC there is a quick route to a full license which would open up more work but the cost of the course is around $1000 plus books and I don't know how long it will remain.

If you later decide to migrate, you will still have to apply for the OTSR, and do the practical tests, as the ARTC is not recognised for migration. If you do migrate though, and have already held a license, you would be up and running from the moment you land more or less (might have to apply for exchange license by mutual recognition)

That is all in the future. If you were to arrive with no license on a WHV, I think you may still be able to get work as a TA.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 11:36 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I know if I went to Sydney I would find work as TA,
You could work as a sparky and not a TA though unlicenced.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

billywhizz82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the info lads

Would it be an advantage to get my ARTC to apply for unlicensed or TA jobs to prove I'm an overseas qualified spark, otherwise anyone could apply for them. I'm thinking about getting my application ready before I go over qualifications, references, etc, so at least there with me if I decide to apply for it.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Jamieon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billywhizz82
Cheers for the info lads

Would it be an advantage to get my ARTC to apply for unlicensed or TA jobs to prove I'm an overseas qualified spark, otherwise anyone could apply for them. I'm thinking about getting my application ready before I go over qualifications, references, etc, so at least there with me if I decide to apply for it.
Contact Skills Shortage Solutions, they are company than have been sorting out overseas electrician with there A grade in Australia with over 10 years.
Here's a contact number for Jason Greene and he'll fill you in on everything and what path is best for you.
+61406 237 187