Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

any electricians working in melbourne?

any electricians working in melbourne?

Old Jul 26th 2008, 4:23 pm
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice
Default any electricians working in melbourne?

hi newbie here. looking at moving over to melborne,any of you over there now working as sparks? wanted know what kind of work is available,as not really into large sites,prefer small companies and more domestic type of work.
been house bashing here for years,but need something along those lines.

also what is the current rates and work hours over there

many thanks
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:46 am
Just Joined

geordie2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any electricians working in melbourne?

i am in melbourne now

my msn: [email protected]
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any electricians working in melbourne?

mcv;

when your in Melbourne you will have to do the A class license its a real mixture of exams (Nightmare) you wont be allowed to do any electrical work by Law unless you are qualified to Australian standards the a class license.

may i ask what ARTEC have you been granted, it will be either the Electrical Mechanic or Fitters qualification the best one is the Mechanic license this is just a foot in the door for Australia thats all. as i say you must obtain the A class license you can do a 12 week evening course at the Tafe (College) this explains the differences between the Uk system & Australian systems its well worth doing it.

The exams are designed to put you under pressure its as simple as that in Melbourne its the worst in Australia.

I would recommend Adelaide its a bloody lot easier there is you post on here ask for Wendy in Adelaide she is very bright & can give you all the info you shall need. there is a cost of course for doing the PEER course in adelaide as there would be where ever you do the exams.

The A class license must be renewed every 3 years if you let it lapse then you do it all again, so be switched on when applying.

The fitters license can be very limiting meaning you may not be allowed to work on mains connections being 1 phase or 3 phase some states restrict you to a "Supervised" license with the fitters license meaning all your work must be checked & i MEAN all work so make sure you get the right ARTEC 1st.

Its a mine field all this licensing stuff, but once you get it all then your on your way, the course at the Tafe is very good & they tell you what to expect for the day of exams especially on the fault finding boards that can be daunting.

all the best to you, if your considering QLD then StevO on here is very good also, if its melbourne then drop me a line anytime im always willing to help people.

In melbourne this past 12 months the monopoly who run the exams have revamped the entire setup for the exams, introducing new stuff for the exams due to the new or added wiring rules, its a real mix bag.

However i know all the faults on the visual boards & the same for the installation board faults, i can also run you through the procedure for a safe disconnect & reconnect of an appliance.

There is a new section where you must connect cables from a pit through under ground conduit (PVC) to the meter panel you wire that also then take tails to the switchboard then connect to the main switch then wire RCD's via circuit breakers then test the installation shall FAIL they introduce faults on purpose but you record your results & follow your training for fault finding, again i can get more info on this installation for you.

After that you book in for the theory exam a mix of wiring rules, schematic drawing with faults on a switchboard (consumer unit), again finding the faults then the wiring rules to go with the faults, then volt drop calc's then max demand (Easy) that one & a few more however all this may be avoided if you go to Adelaide at PEER, but working on switchboards is worth a look especially when you look at the Neutral bar that has a connection direct to the Earth bar in every main switchboard.

So the Tafe explains all this to you,

right i hope i have not put you of at all, if you need help then ask.