Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

AM2 exam - where did you do and how did you get on with it?

AM2 exam - where did you do and how did you get on with it?

Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

mikex79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AM2 exam - where did you do and how did you get on with it?

hi
just wondered if anybody here have done an AM2 (Achievement Measurement 2) exam, if so please tell us where did you do and how did you get on with it?

Last edited by mikex79; Jan 21st 2010 at 10:35 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: AM2 exam - where did you do and how did you get on with it?

Originally Posted by mikex79
hi
just wondered if anybody here have done an AM2 (Achievement Measurement 2) exam, if so please tell us where did you do and how did you get on with it?
Hi mikex79,
I did an AM2 about 18 years ago at South Thames College. It's all a bit of a blur now as it was 18 years ago! Blimey, I do feel old now.
Anyway , all I remember was getting my own little cubicle and having to do a mini installation in said cubicle , incorporating all the various types of containment, conduit ,trunking, tray etc, and then the wiring and then having to test it. I remember that you started of with about 1200 points and got points knocked off minor discrepancies, and had to end with about 750 points or more to pass. You failed the whole ting if you missed a critical point ie loose earth clamp.
I passed , I had to or I wouldn't have qualified. I don't think they do AM2's anymore , do they? It's all NVQ and filling out log books these days isn't it? Which ,by the way we were supposed to do but no-one did or checked upon.
Regards Derren
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

mikex79 is an unknown quantity at this point

thakns for your reply. yes they still do it and i am thinking of doing one as it can help you to get your JIB gold card without having a NVQ3 which takes long time to complete.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikex79
thakns for your reply. yes they still do it and i am thinking of doing one as it can help you to get your JIB gold card without having a NVQ3 which takes long time to complete.
Hi mikex79,
If Am2's are still being done then I would imagine that there is some sort of refresher/pre assessment course available where a lecturer will guide you through what is expected of you and is well worth attending.
I remember being quite nervous and intimidated by it , as you would in any type of examination but if you know your stuff you should be OK. Just remember to double and triple check everything as I still do today on jobs.
Good luck Regards Derren
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road

i did a refresher course first and found it pretty easy at seal sands next to hartlepool but without trying to sound big headed i was the only one to finish one kid hadn't even started wiring i think all the others doing it were house bashers though.

i didn't think you could get the jib card without doing the nvq3 but i did mine as part of apprenticeship
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

Yeah mate they're still doing AM2

I did mine in '97 if I remember right.

It was pretty straight forward, wire up a ring, some lights, a DOL motor starter.

Some conduit work to a bulkhead fitting, gland off some 10mm armour.

The best bit of advice I got was to make sure your conduit skills are up to speed there was a lot of marks accorded to the conduit especially the bends I remember having to do a "bubble set" and there was a lot of points for that.

There is also a question exam

More info on the latest AM2 exam can be found here

http://www.net-works.org.uk/am2_about.asp

Plenty of colleges run AM2 refresher courses!.

Good luck, but even with AM2 I think you still need an NVQ3 if you don't have C+G quals.

Best bet is to give the JIB a phone I have found them to pretty helpful with grading enquiries

They will tell you exactly what you need to do to get graded
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

moriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to allmoriarty711 is a name known to all

In 1989 at the JIB place in Sidcup if I remember rightly, I think it was fairly new then.
The lad I work with keeps asking if they had electricity then, he wasn't even born!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

isr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really niceisr999 is just really nice

Morning, try these 2 sites for information.

www.talkelectricianforum.co.uk
www.swindon-massive.co.uk

Both of these sites are very helpful.

Iain
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:17 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

I did mine also through an apprentiship so didnt have any of the mither but the back door routes are there should they be required .

JIB Grading Definitions - Electrician Grade
Qualifications and Training

Must satisfy the following three conditions:

1) Must have been a registered apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.

2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - see Note 1.

3) Must have obtained a pass in the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course or approved equivalent.

Note 1:

If the applicant meets the other two criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:

a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate (or approved equivalent).

b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians' Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.

Duties

Must be able to carry out electrical installation work efficiently in accordance with the National Working Rules for the Electrical Contracting Industry, the current IEE Regulations for Electrical Installations, and the Construction Industry Safety Regulations.

Dougie