Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

24 year old confused british sparkie

24 year old confused british sparkie

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

JoeyLowtown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 24 year old confused british sparkie

Hey guys, I'd just like to introduce myself. I am a 24 year old JIB approved electrician. I have decided I'd like to work in Australia for a period with a view to migration in the future. The more I read the more complicated it seems and the more confused I become. I have no mortgage or kids, very little to keep me in England, there is no work and it's bloody cold.

I have been self employed for two years doing a mixture of subbying, agency work, private rewires and maintenance on the premises of a large chemical haulier. I have been NICEIC fully approved for the past 18mths, so im no joker. Unfortunately a long term relationship broke down, work has dried for one reason or another, so im seriously considering my future.

Do I need to do the VETASSESS or can I do the TRA electrical mechanic route? I have no major preference to which state a go to at this stage, I have never been to Oz and would like to travel round in order to find somewhere to settle. I have friends dotted about, mainly in Brisbane, a few in melbourne and a couple in townsville.

Is it possible to work as a sparkie on a Working Holiday Visa, providing I get my qual's approved? I dont want to do a 175 cos seemingly it takes ages, costs lots and I may not even wish to stay. My plan is to get out there make some contacts and try to get sponsorship.

Can somebody please tell me if this is realistic and point me in the right direction. Thanks, happy new year and best of luck to all!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 24 year old confused british sparkie

mate there are so many different answers but i know you can't work as a spark on a working holiday visa just as a sparkys mate
i'm going in feb now on a WHV and just gonna wing it with my lass, see what happens and hope for the best haha had enough it's time to just go
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonnyd
mate there are so many different answers but i know you can't work as a spark on a working holiday visa just as a sparkys mate
i'm going in feb now on a WHV and just gonna wing it with my lass, see what happens and hope for the best haha had enough it's time to just go
Hi jonnyd, you can apply for an ARTC on a working holiday visa and thus work as a spark as clearly stated on the DEEWR's own website under the sub heading 'can I apply for an ARTC' thru this LINK
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi jonnyd, you can apply for an ARTC on a working holiday visa and thus work as a spark as clearly stated on the DEEWR's own website under the sub heading 'can I apply for an ARTC' thru this LINK
i think i might just kiss you!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

i think i might just kiss you!
Hi Jonny, thanks ,but unless you happen to be a female of the species then just keep thinking about it! Please be aware though , that an ARTC in itself won't get you an A grade licence. You'll still need to go to PEER tech in Adelaide in order to get an SA licence or as Warren Thomas a has done for a WA license, go thru Energy safety. Regards Derren.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

what about vetassess?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

what about vetassess?
With Vetassess you would be issued with an OSTR which would require that you complete some gap training and working on a restricted licence while completing a log book for anything up to a year. A lot of employers don't seem to like employing people with this and it would preclude you from going to PEER as you can only get an SA licence with the ARTC and PEER tech wirings course combination.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

what about vetassess?
Also, vetassess is solely aimed at tradesmen looking to migrate to Australia permanently. Some sparks are then also applying for an ARTC in addition to having the OSTR because the having the ARTC allows you to exploit the loopholes as mention previously. Also, considering you have a WHV, you will probably be moving about ie interstate. Usually, employers demand that you have the respective licence of the state your working in ie if your seeking work in NSW then you're expected to have an NSW licence. You can transfer your licence under ' mutual recognition' but at extra cost and it seems you can't transfer an SA licence to a WA one. You will probably find employers willing to employ you no matter what state licence you have . And if you fill like throwing in the towel then bear in mind that if you have no Aussie licence of any kind then you won't find work even as a mate or trades assistant as there known there. In my own experience on a WHV ,I rocked up in OZ with my city & guilds certs tucked confidently under my arm expecting open arms. How WRONG was I. I did manage to find work but it took a lot of door knocking and was a real headache. Also, don't underestimate the amount of evidence you need to supply for an ARTC. They require very detailed evidence. Just make sure you read their guidelines properly. Hope I haven't fried your mind too much. Regards Derren
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Energy Safety in WA accept either the OTSR or the ARTC. The first you get from going down the Vetassess route.

You have to do the college course as you would for the ARTC. It's two weeks long, full time and then you get your licence.

Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeyLowtown
Hey guys, I'd just like to introduce myself. I am a 24 year old JIB approved electrician. I have decided I'd like to work in Australia for a period with a view to migration in the future. The more I read the more complicated it seems and the more confused I become. I have no mortgage or kids, very little to keep me in England, there is no work and it's bloody cold.

I have been self employed for two years doing a mixture of subbying, agency work, private rewires and maintenance on the premises of a large chemical haulier. I have been NICEIC fully approved for the past 18mths, so im no joker. Unfortunately a long term relationship broke down, work has dried for one reason or another, so im seriously considering my future.

Do I need to do the VETASSESS or can I do the TRA electrical mechanic route? I have no major preference to which state a go to at this stage, I have never been to Oz and would like to travel round in order to find somewhere to settle. I have friends dotted about, mainly in Brisbane, a few in melbourne and a couple in townsville.

Is it possible to work as a sparkie on a Working Holiday Visa, providing I get my qual's approved? I dont want to do a 175 cos seemingly it takes ages, costs lots and I may not even wish to stay. My plan is to get out there make some contacts and try to get sponsorship.

Can somebody please tell me if this is realistic and point me in the right direction. Thanks, happy new year and best of luck to all!
Hi Joey Yeah I reckon you should get a WHV and get an ARTC and get out there and get yourself known. If you go for any other type of residence visa it will take a couple of years in the present climate whereas you could be there within a year if you get the ball rolling now with a WHV. Regards Derren
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

You can work as a spark on a working holiday visa. I've been doing it since I got my 'A' grade licence over a year ago. Best way to get it to get an ARTC and then go to Peer in adelaide. This allows you to get SA licence which can be transferred to any state provided your ARTC is for electrical mechanic and not electrical fitter.

Last edited by agillick; Jan 4th 2010 at 9:41 am.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agillick
You can work as a spark on a working holiday visa. I've been doing it since I got my 'A' grade licence over a year ago. Best way to get it to get an ARTC and then go to Peer in adelaide. This allows you to get SA licence which can be transferred to any state provided your ARTC is for electrical mechanic and not electrical fitter.
how long did it take to get the A grade licence from first applying mate? was thinking of trying the mines for a sponsorship when if i can get mine sorted
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

It takes between 3 weeks and a month to get your ARTC. You then need to ring Peer in Adelaide to get the course work sent out. It took me around a month to do this spending 2 to 3 hours every evening doing it so there is quite a bit to it. You then need to fly to Adelaide to complete a theory exam which is basically a repeat of the course material you will already have done. When you have this done you bring the certificate from Peer plus your ARTC to the licencing office in Adelaide and they post you out your SA licence.

On the subject of the mines. The money is very good but the lifestyle or lack of it is not for everyone. Its also not that easy to get a job in the mines without mining experience.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

JoeyLowtown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by agillick
You mention you've been working as a spark on a WHV for over a year, how have you managed this given the WHV is a one year visa? Did you do the 3mth specified work thingy to have a second year granted......if so, what type of specified work did you have to do? Are you planning to stay longer, had any joy trying to find sponsorship for a 457? Cheers dude
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

can i start the peer thing from this end i've got an address is brisbane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.