Work??

Old May 12th 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

tracy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work??

Hi, I am thinking of a move to Cyprus with my family but none of us speak Greek. What are the chances of finding jobs which would prevent us from starving? Two adults late 30's, background in healthcare management (me) general building (hubby) and 18 yr old with business studies diploma, that said we wouldn't be fussy about what we do, just not slave labour. We would hopefully be mortgage free, thanks for any advice.
Old May 12th 2008, 4:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work??

Are you moving to Sardinia, Spain or Cyprus as it`s getting a bit confusing ?
Old May 13th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Yes sorry, my partner wants to move to sardinia and I want to move to cyprus so I'm trying to get info on both places, Spain was just another option in case neither suit, just trying get expat perspective on all of them, I'm not trolling or trying to waste anyones time...
Old May 13th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

yummymummy150 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracy1
Hi, I am thinking of a move to Cyprus with my family but none of us speak Greek. What are the chances of finding jobs which would prevent us from starving? Two adults late 30's, background in healthcare management (me) general building (hubby) and 18 yr old with business studies diploma, that said we wouldn't be fussy about what we do, just not slave labour. We would hopefully be mortgage free, thanks for any advice.
Hi tracy. you can look on the web but best way is to get over there.
daily papers, word of mouth. . you an look at holiday companys hotels for admin. its better once you there you need to be in right place at right time.
so if you have money to see you over the first few months.
Tricia
Old May 13th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi Tricia, thanks for your reply. You don't think the language barrier will be an issue then? Like I said I'm just looking to make a fairly decent living, not make a fortune and am prepared to do more or less anything??
Would definitely be looking to bring enough money to last a few months.
Tracy
Old May 13th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Tricia, thanks for your reply. You don't think the language barrier will be an issue then? Like I said I'm just looking to make a fairly decent living, not make a fortune and am prepared to do more or less anything??
Would definitely be looking to bring enough money to last a few months.
Tracy
the laguage is not a barrier, maybe give you more of a scope and open more doors but unless you can speak and write it very well .it will make no diffarnce
Cost off living is less than here.There are pros and cons eveywhere. its not for all. resarch all you can. I chat with a lot of people in cyprus who work have familys and get by are happy evan if they are earning less than uk.
they would not come back.you need to decide a area that will work for you all a get out there look around, and if you all agree. go for it we only live once.
I did email you feel free to mail me if you wish to chat off site.
i plan moving over end off year with 16 son.
Tricia
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again Tricia, your enthusiasm for Cyprus is infectious, I hope you get over soon.
Do you have any knowledge of universities? My son will want a degree but no way will he get one in Greek!! Are the courses available in English?
Also as you also have a 16yr old, what opportunities are there for teenagers in terms of work and play?
Sorry for all the questions I hope you don't mind me picking your brains!?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again Tricia, your enthusiasm for Cyprus is infectious, I hope you get over soon.
Do you have any knowledge of universities? My son will want a degree but no way will he get one in Greek!! Are the courses available in English?
Also as you also have a 16yr old, what opportunities are there for teenagers in terms of work and play?
Sorry for all the questions I hope you don't mind me picking your brains!?
Hi Tracy No Knoweledge of how the universities work but i do know they come out with a good standerd. Would it not be possible to go to uk.come home to cyprus for holis, Most kids have to live away when at Uni.
Teenagers work will be low paid but its better choice
than my son will get here for unskilled work,(we live in a small village). Its being in the right place willing to adapt to a need.If he hates it(hope not) when 18 he can live&work with brothers in London.I hope his time in cyprus will let him grow up a bit and find what he wants to do. seeing a bit of life enjoy the sun beach ect, After all cyprus is my dream may not be his.
please feel free to email me to chat . We are busy sorting odd jobs to put house on market at end of summer. not a good time but will it get better who knows.Yes love cyprus and cant wait to live there i do have the odd moment when i think are we mad, i could just plodd along in my safe little bubble
no i have got to give it a try dont want it just to be a dream.
Take care Tricia .
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

If your hubby is a general builder, then he should think about starting something of his own. Brits are always on the look out for someone to do some home improvements and the Cypriots are that reliable, and some don't do a very good job.

There are also some british based developers around, maybe worth looking out for.

For you, it mightn't be a bad idea to send your CV to some private hospitals.

Just suggestions, but maybe worth looking at.

Good luck
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for your help.
If I may ask another question??
It seems prudent from reading peoples opinions on here to rent before buying, but what are mortgage rates like over there?
We would have ahefty deposit (maybe even enough to buy outright) but if we needed a martgage what would be payments be roughly on 50,000 euros?? Also are mortgages easy to get out there? We have never had any problems here and have never had any arrears so our financial history is healthy if that helps??
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

It seems prudent from reading peoples opinions on here to rent before buying, but what are mortgage rates like over there?
We would have ahefty deposit (maybe even enough to buy outright) but if we needed a martgage what would be payments be roughly on 50,000 euros?? Also are mortgages easy to get out there? We have never had any problems here and have never had any arrears so our financial history is healthy if that helps??
Will pm you
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Tracey,

To get a mortgage you'll need a job or another source of permanent income. We have a €20k mortgage and pay about €250 a month. You'll also need to allow some extra for the compulsory life insurance. The amount of it depends on your age, lenght and amount of mortgage.

If your going to buy, please don't buy outright, we did that and it landed us in the creek. If we had of applied for a mortgage, the banks would have done checks on the land and on the house i.e, finding out if the building is legal, has permission and no outstanding debts. As we bought outright, none of this was done, even though we paid our lawyer to do so, and now we have a house that is illegal (no building permissions/permits). The builder also took a mortgage out on the land, which we had to pay off for him, otherwise the banks were going to close in and take everything. Hind sight is a great thing.

So, rent for a while, see if it works out and then buy.