Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Where in Cyprus??

Where in Cyprus??

Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Amandacooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in Cyprus??

Thank you for the advice. We have added aircon units to our villa as it was a optional extra.
Now looking into car hire so will definitely make sure that has aircon.
Will report back once we are back, hope we like it.

Originally Posted by Aucklander
I am sure you will enjoy it. Hottest time of year so take sun hats & sun block. Plan your days around doing more late afternoon when it cools down a little. Remember it gets very hot around noon & early afternoon, not the time to be out sun bathing. Drink lots of water. Make sure you have accommodation & hire car with air con. When yo return home let us know your thoughts on your trip.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Auklanders advice is very wise. July and August are our hottest months and the danger of sunburn and dehydration is high. Try to stay out of the sun from about 12noon until 3pm if possible.Plan your sightseeing for late afternoon/early evening if you can.
If you must go out in the midday heat make sure you are wearing high factor sun cream and sun hats. Make sure you have a bottle of water with you all the time.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandacooper
Hi,
Me, my husband and our 2 children (3&2) are looking to move to Cyprus for an initial 6 months trial possibly leading to permanent if we like it.
Can anybody recommend what parts of Cyprus would be most suitable, i.e low crime, family friendly, ex pat community etc.
Work not an issue as my husband works offshore so would stay in his current job.
Any help appreciated
Girne or Catalkoy are nice, the North of Cyprus is low crime,family friendly and has a nice expat community. If you are going for a look see... go and have a look across the border
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

The North of Cyprus is illegally occupied and is not recognised as a legitimate country by the international community..

also most of the land in the North belongs to Greek Cypriots and most new houses are built illegally on land that does not belong to the developers. Whatever you do if you decide to go to the North do not allow anyone to persuade you to buy property there. Rental is the only safe option in the North. There are a great many British expats who have bought there who now stand to lose their properties as they were illegally built.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
The North of Cyprus is illegally occupied and is not recognised as a legitimate country by the international community..

also most of the land in the North belongs to Greek Cypriots and most new houses are built illegally on land that does not belong to the developers. Whatever you do if you decide to go to the North do not allow anyone to persuade you to buy property there. Rental is the only safe option in the North. There are a great many British expats who have bought there who now stand to lose their properties as they were illegally built.
Veronica-K Good advice, thanks for warning people.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Amandacooper is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just got back from 2 weeks in Pegeia. Everyone was really nice and friendly and it was more english than i expected so would be real easy to live there however it was nice but it didnt feel like somewhere i would like to live at the moment.
Thanks for everybody help and advice
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Peyia would not be my first choice of somewhere to live either. It is TOO full of expats, too many ugly apartment blocks full of empty units. It has lost much of its tradional Cypriot village charm.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Originally Posted by Veronica-K

This is absolutely correct, the north part of Cyprus is an illegally occupied territory and the so-called trnc is an illegal entity recognised only by the occupying force - turkey.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Klikli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amandacooper
Hi,
Me, my husband and our 2 children (3&2) are looking to move to Cyprus for an initial 6 months trial possibly leading to permanent if we like it.
Can anybody recommend what parts of Cyprus would be most suitable, i.e low crime, family friendly, ex pat community etc.
Work not an issue as my husband works offshore so would stay in his current job.
Any help appreciated
It all depends on your lifestyle, job sector and life expectations. The crime rate is everywhere the same. Your chances of getting your home bulgarized or your car jacked are the same weather you live in paphos, larnac, nicosia etc. The question is, what is your expectations in general? Who are you planning to hang out with and what kind of job are you looking into? Jobs are easier to find in nicosia. You dont need to learn the greek language as the majority of cypriots speak or understand english or both. I personally prefer limassol over other parts of the island but this is just a preference. I feel like limassol has a lot to offer as a city. Beach, Amenities, weather, services, jobs etc

Last edited by Klikli; Oct 19th 2012 at 1:05 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:44 am
Just Joined

mojca is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, can anyone tell me about executive head chefs jobs or just chef jobs in paphos area? is it hard to find or they are in need for chefs? i ask because we were thinking of moving there (me,husband and kids 3 and 1.5 years old)

thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mojca
hi, can anyone tell me about executive head chefs jobs or just chef jobs in paphos area? is it hard to find or they are in need for chefs? i ask because we were thinking of moving there (me,husband and kids 3 and 1.5 years old)

thanks
Hi,

I think that you will find jobs are very hard to come by. Many restaurants are struggling as hotels are now doing fully inclusive deals so holiday makers eat in the hotels. The pay level for such jobs is low compared to the UK even if you can find one and bringing up children in Cyprus is very expensive. My advice is to think very carefully before making the move.
Do lots of research, look at job sites to see what sort of jobs are out there and the pay scales. You would both need to be working in order to make ends meet here and that means childcare costs. Most young local familes both partners work but they have the support of parents and grandparents who look after their children when they are at work. Without that family support it is very tough.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Veronica
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

susiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nicesusiecy is just really nice

if you are an executive head chef - there are lots of hotels and newly refurbished ones in the pipeline opening 2013 - who might be interested - if you have wow qualifications & exposure wise - contact the tourist board for a list of 5*hotels and send out your cv - contact some of the luxury travel providers -golf courses for sure are all boasting of their culinary skills / yacht charter companies / villas etc - have a look on Twitter too -
like Victoria says, it wont be easy but Cyprus is a great place to live so i wish you the best of luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

thank you very much for fast reply veronica and susiecy. we don t have family support but i was hoping to start working when the kids are old enough for school and we were thinking to put them in local school. still need to do some research on that. my husband is Gordon Ramsay trained and works in one bank as a executive chef for past 7 years. I think we have wow effect susiecy thanks for advise to contact tourist board!

Can you tell me more about the areas like tala etc. where the scools are and is there some area where i can walk with kids to stores, post, bank etc. without using the car?

Last edited by mojca; Nov 2nd 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tala is a very nice village but you would need a car to get to any decent shops. There are a couple of little local shops where you can get the basics and there is a bank.
Peyia is a bigger village and has more shops so would be easier from that point of view, also I beleive there are quite a few British children in the local school.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much Veronica. Every information means a lot really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.