Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to north cyprus

Thinking of moving to north cyprus

Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

amy_we is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Thinking of moving to north cyprus

hi,
We've been thinking of relocating to north cyprus and are searching the internet constantly for any attractive property for sale.
so far we've come up with these 2 options, which we seem to like.

(SNIP)

Does anyone have tips for us?

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Sep 12th 2008 at 10:19 am.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

tequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking of moving to north cyprus

My advice.... Don't! One day you may lose your house there and everything you own if they come to get there land back. Remember Northern Cyprus was invaded by the Turks.... it's not there land to sell!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amy_we
hi,
We've been thinking of relocating to north cyprus and are searching the internet constantly for any attractive property for sale.

(SNIP)

Tequila is correct, the invasion of Cyprus by Turkey is illegal in the eyes of the UN. If they will do anything about it is another story. Nicosia is the last divided city in the World.

If you research the history of Cyprus during the 20th Century, you will probably find that Britain, during this period, had less of an axe to grind with Northern Cyprus than what they did with the Republic of Cyprus (in the South). I believe Kyrenia was the favourite retirement spot for ex-British cival servants in Cyprus and has quite a British influence.

However, my opinion, for what it is worth, is that the status quo will remain for at least the rest of your lifetime and many Brits live very happily in Northern Cyprus, I have even considered it myself. Looks like a beautiful country with a great lifestyle. I have visited the Republic of Cyprus many times and is one of my favourite destinations. Never been to the North but would like to go.

Beware, however, I also had the same opinion when I lived in South Africa in the 1980's. Not that it would be reasonable to compare the Cyprus situation with South Africa. Unfortunately many of these situations cannot be predicted so reduce your risks. There are plenty of interesting alternatives out there, it is interesting to read the "Rest of the World" section in this forum. I live in Canada and am watching many Canadians and Americans retire to places such as Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica and have great lifestyles. All of these places, also have risks but perhaps it is best to take a philosophical attitude and go where you are happy.

As always, it is better to get the opinions from people "on the spot" rather than me here in North America. As the cliche goes "follow your dreams", what you read here is merely our opinions and interpretations. There are plenty of posts from people both sides of the border on this forum which are equally valid.

How's that for sitting on the fence.

Signed

Dazed and Confused

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:22 am

gedge has disabled reputation

hi,

(SNIP)
my folks have done it and reasonably happy with how it's worked out
don't ask me about the land ownership issues, it's over my head
certainly it has to be considered but it's up to you whether you deem it as a risk or not
welcome to BE anyway, i hope you find what you're after

Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Coffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've been living in the TRNC for a couple of years. Depends on what you are looking for but if you want a quiet, peaceful lifestyle surrounded by stunning scenery then North Cyprus is the place. Its cheap to live here and the weather is fantastic with only a couple of months temperatures in the mid teens. There are irritations but they are minor. There will be a solution the Cyprus problem but its taken them 40 years to open the border between north and south so don't hold your breath for a final solution just yet.
Come for a holiday summer and winter, if you like it rent somewhere for 6 months, then and only then should you think about buying.
Good Luck!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

From waht I understand if you buy property or land that was Turkish owned BEFORE the invasion then you should be safe if ever the situation is sorted and land is returned to the original owners. Beware anyone selling land/property they have acquired since the split.

Nicola
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

PS. Or beware those selling without title deeds.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Coffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Nic1,
Just to add to your comments, if the deeds are pre 1974 (whether ownership was Turkish, British or any other nationality) then they are less encumbered than other deeds.
I don't know of anyone who would buy a property anywhere without deeds, checking ownership of land is quite simple you go to the land registry. There are different types of deeds (exchange being the most emotive) but if you get a good lawyer (British Foreign office has a list) they will check the legals out for you.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, it is a strange concept (no title deeds) but seems people in Southern Cyprus do it a lot - causes all sorts of problems for some apparently . . . .
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:44 pm
Tim Higgins

Tim10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Thinking of moving to north cyprus: Good idea

Do not believe what the Greek propaganda has been saying about the North.

The Turks entered the island in 974 as a result of the ethnic cleansing of their brethren by the Greek forces in a military coup. This is a fact!

Land title in the South is a problem because the Greeks try to hide from buyers proof of former Turkish ownership. In the North, the Turks have it issue well documented. This way you know what type of title you are getting.

Pre-1974 and Exchange Title are considered safe. All you need it so get a good solicitor and have the title checked.

In terms of quality of living, costs and attitude to Brits, the North puts the South in a cloud of dust.

If you need any help, contact me via a personal message. If I can not help you, I will find someone who can.

I wish you the best of luck and a Happy New Year.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:26 am
Just Joined

sedo will become famous soon enoughsedo will become famous soon enough

Hi

That made me lough when i read TEQUILA and partly (JOHN) replies. You know its like they live on mountain which has no rule nothing and southterns live on the ground lol . GUYS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH KNOWLEDGES ABOUT TURKISH REPUBLIC OF NORTHERN CYPRUS. PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR WORDS HERE. OR What you(tequila) doing is just propaganda.

Let people who live in The TRNC or have properties in TRNC talk here. i have been in TRNC almost 15 years. i go there every year from USA and i have property in TRNC. and its wonderfull place really. People are very friendly. . PLUS IN TRNC THERE ARE THOUSAND OF FOREIGHNERS IN TRNC WHO HAVE PROPERTIES AND ALL OF THEM ARE HAPPY, MOST OF THEM COME FROM UK ,YOU WILL NOT ANY PROBLEM AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A DEED everyone looks for a deed first when they wanna buy a property.

plus as a truth there is a big britain influence in TRNC (driving from the left etc.... ) but britain is just a guarantor COUNTRY IN all over cyprus

Thanks
Old May 12th 2008, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

MEGAN123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi my family id due to move to north cyprus in august and have managed to get my 3yr old daughter into a school already. Although my 2nd baby is due in july and have idea what health care/health visitors are available....any one have any similar experiances?
Old May 12th 2008, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
Try

frankandjoan.com

They are a Brit couple who have been living in Northern Cyprus and loving it. Their webpage is full of information.

Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

we have a holiday home here and we love it xxxhope to go their one day but not while we are on such a gr8 package elsewere in the worldxxxx
we bought 18 months ago had excellent solicitors who alreaday got our deeds xxxx
turks are lovely people .......yes u get abuse from the greeks at the airport if they know where u are goin ...very sad .....they obviously remember the conflict so very different to the facts ........even the boarder people make comments ....but it is sooooooooooooo worth it to live in a beautiful placexxxx
give me this side anyday and yes have experience on the other side in the 80s and they were just as rude etc then too!!!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MEGAN123
hi my family id due to move to north cyprus in august and have managed to get my 3yr old daughter into a school already. Although my 2nd baby is due in july and have idea what health care/health visitors are available....any one have any similar experiances?
Megan,

Firstly, I hope all goes well with your pregnancy.

My youngest daughter was born in Southern Cyprus, so I can only comment on that.

As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as health visitors here, I haven't see one anyway. Health care is done privately, there are loads of companies offering good packages, just make sure you know exactly what your entitled to.

Stuff that isn't covered - pre existing conditions, vaccinations for the kids, dentists. The baby won't be insured until they are a certain age. I was lucky in that my daughter was covered after 1 month )but it didn't cover the costs of having her soft cleft palette rectified.).

Hopefully someone in the north will post and advise you on things there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.