Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Cyprus

Thinking of Cyprus

Old May 11th 2019, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

fvbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of Cyprus

I am a pensioner thinking of retiring to Cyprus, with an income of about £2000 per month. I love history, love good food and wine, am keen to learn Greek (I speak French and Italian, and studied some classical Greek as a teenager). I would like to live by the sea, but don't want to live surrounded by holidaymakers in pubs. I would prefer to immerse myself in the life of Greek Cyprus, not in an exported Britain. Could members suggest locations to consider that would meet my needs?
Old Jun 1st 2019, 5:51 am
Just Joined

pkirk25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of Cyprus

I just joined to reply to you :-) I've been in Cyprus 2 months now.

In Cyprus, all income below €19000 is tax free and the rest of your pension would be taxed at 20%. The local health service works like the NHS if you are retired. Ther cost of livig is low. Your £2000 per month will go a long way.

Learning the language is made more difficult by the fact that the educatrion system here is very good and most people have a basic grasp of English. However they love when you speak Greek. As a very good starter, a free online course provided by Cyprus academics is fantastic. Google " Language Transfer Method."

If you would like to live by the sea, there are going to be lots of expats around. I live near Paphos and at least half of my neighbours are expats. But if you are prepared to live in the hills, there are many gorgeous villages where there are very few Brits. For example, Maroni is less than an hour from Larnaca airport, the population is 700 and there were 4 British couples living in the town in March. If you like wine country, the hills have more options than I can list. A personal favourite is Kathikas.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

fvbee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for your advice. I didn't mean to imply that I don't want to be near other British people; but that I don't want to be in a place which is all designed for the beach holiday trade: large hotels, bars, British food etc. I would prefer to be among a resident population, Greek or British. I love Greek food and I must say, wine country sounds very interesting!
Old Jun 17th 2019, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

wisdomseeker is an unknown quantity at this point

pkirk25, a friend lives in Cyprus but told me not many people spoke English. When you say "most people have a basic grasp of English", is this in the more touristed areas? Or do you find it this way across the whole country?