Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Should I move to Cyprus for work???

Should I move to Cyprus for work???

Old Dec 9th 2014, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

hello_kitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Should I move to Cyprus for work???

Hello expats in Cyprus! I really need your advice for my decision-making on wheather I should move to Cyprus (Limassol) for work. I am a Hong Kong Chinese girl (with British passport so I am a British expat too lol) and beening living in Germany for 4 years now, got my master degree here and been looking for work. It is very difficult to find a job in Germany that suits my qualifications and skills, as I have been looking for 7 months already. As I was browsing through the job portal for Chinese graduates in Germany, I found one financial company in Cyprus looking for gradautes with Chinese knowledge like me. I talked to the company employee also at the career day fair and the job seems very interesting. 2 weeks ago I had a Skype interview with them, and in 2 days I am going to have a second Skype interview. I am quite excited about the idea of moving to Cyprus and experiening a different culture. Here are the pros and cons I have summarized:

Pros:

-interesting job at an international company in the finance field
-want to gather more international experience in a different country
-attractive weather and scenary

Cons:

-the salary is not as high as in Germany, it is just barely enough to survice there on my own I guess (1500-1800 euro gross)
-a big risk to move to a new country not knowing anyone there?!
-communication problem without Greek knowledge? Not sure if only English is enough

I just talked to my mum on phone, she is totally against it and prefer me to work in Germany, or go back to Hong Kong...my German boyfriend also thinks it is a bad idea to move to Cyprus.

Could you guys give me some good opinions/advice for my situation? I will be really tempted to accept the job offer if they do give me one soon.

Cheers,

Hello Kitty
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Laura69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I move to Cyprus for work???

Hi Kitty, these days you can live well in Cyprus on that salary, if you don't want to live in full luxury. Rents have fallen significantly and prices of food too. Not sure what happened with your job offer, but make sure it is a reputable employer, as things in Cyprus can sometimes be a bit dodgy.
All the best.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:25 am
Just Joined

laserblues2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kitty,

Rent is so cheap and food / eating out is cheap. I'd say you'd probably be ok on that salary unless you have very expensive tastes.

Nick
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

savva is an unknown quantity at this point

hello Kitty, have you already been moved to cyprus?