Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Retirement Option

Retirement Option

Old Oct 12th 2018, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retirement Option

Has anybody considered or even implemented a move to Cyprus for retirement purposes? It seems that their government is quite accommodating even with Brexit looming ahead. Unfortunately I cannot find their minimum savings requirement to be granted residency where one spouse is a non-EU citizen. Here in the UK it's currently £64,000 in cash savings irrespective of the value of any equity or property owned. Any thoughts or anecdotal experiences?
Old Oct 21st 2018, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Retirement Option

Originally Posted by mentalist
Has anybody considered or even implemented a move to Cyprus for retirement purposes? It seems that their government is quite accommodating even with Brexit looming ahead. Unfortunately I cannot find their minimum savings requirement to be granted residency where one spouse is a non-EU citizen. Here in the UK it's currently £64,000 in cash savings irrespective of the value of any equity or property owned. Any thoughts or anecdotal experiences?
It seems that non-EU citizens require 9568 GBP. However, as the spouse of an EU citizen (i.e. married to yourself and up until December, 2020), I am not sure any income requirement applies. This is what the EU rules say. I am sure your situation is common so I am sure someone will come along who has been through this.

can my non-EU family members live for more than three months in Cyprus?

The Residence Certificate (Pink Slip) is issued to the non-EU family members of EU citizens moving with them to Cyprus Application must be made within four months of the date of entry, otherwise a fine will be imposed.

Family members of EU citizens who are not EU citizens themselves should provide the following with a competed application form MEU2 (for non-EU family members of EU citizens):
  1. Valid passport with visa if applicable (and copies)
  2. A document stating the family relationship
  3. Proof of family relationship (marriage and children's birth certificates)
  4. Proof of the family member's consistent relationship with the EU citizen
  5. Family members that are not dependants must show proof of a serious medical condition which leaves them completely dependent
  6. Two passport-sized photos
Regulations governing eu citizens in Cyprus and their family members - Eures
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Jamesdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement Option

Mentalist, if you are married to your non EU partner then there is no stipulation about funds. You will need to show an income stream or job, and so long as that income is adequate, then a non working, non EU partner is treated the same as an EU partner; just takes a bit longer to get the pink slip I think.