Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Residents permit expired

Residents permit expired

Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Alybongo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residents permit expired

Hi there, have a friend who's residence permit has expired in Cyprus, she is British, does any one know if it needs re-newing or as they have joined the EEA do you still need one?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Residents permit expired

Originally Posted by Alybongo
Hi there, have a friend who's residence permit has expired in Cyprus, she is British, does any one know if it needs re-newing or as they have joined the EEA do you still need one?
Technically, no you don't need one, but its very hard to do anything with out one. Tell her to get it renewed and then go and get a ID card (very cheap - about 7 euros), then that will cover you for 10 years.

I know its a hassle to renew, but its more hassle if you don't keep it up to date!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Alybongo is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that, can you still get a residency if your not working though, shes had to give up work due to illness so has no wage coming in?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, can you still get a residency if your not working though, shes had to give up work due to illness so has no wage coming in?
You dont need to work to be a "resident" of another EU country. In fact many countries dont have residency at all. In Spain you just sign on a list of foreigners.

In Spain we have to show the foreigners certificate for a number of things, and I'm betting its the same in many EU countries
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

In order to get the residency permit, you need to prove that you can support yourself and that you won't be a drain on the system. So, no, you don't have to work, but you do need money to support yourself. Without this, you won't get a residency permit.

Although the government will tell you that its illegal to be here with out an alien card or permit, you can get away with it cos Cyprus is now in the EU and your free to move to where you want. However, this will back fire should you ever need the government to do something for you. For example, should you need hospital treatment, even in a state hospital, they will need payment.

In order to be exempt, you need a health card, which will need your residency details along with a statement of income. This then decides whether you pay a subsidise amount or non at all.

So, as I said earlier, its really more hassle to not have one, just in case. If all it is is a renewal, I can't see why she doesn't go and get it sorted.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

mystic is an unknown quantity at this point

If she has had to give up work due to illness and has no wage coming in, it is highly unlikely that they will renew her residency permit unless she can prove she has enough savings to keep her from being a burden on the state. She will also need medical insurance, being as she is not working, she will not qualify for free hospital treatment.

If she doesn't renew, she may encounter many problems in the future, for example if she was involved in a minor car accident where the police are called, they will check on her status. Also if she plans to live here for life, she will be unable to claim her pension when the time comes.

There are many other problems that she could encounter by not having the permit renewed, however, without having finance to support her, it is unlikely that it will be renewed.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

desertmum is an unknown quantity at this point

i've been here for allmost two years and don't have a residence permit - I am British. I haven't come across any occasion where it has been an issue - if I need to show ID I use my passport or drivers licence. I was involved in a car accident recently and the police were happy with my passport as ID. I don't work and have private medical insurance so can't see any reason for getting one - unless you want a mobile phone contract with Cytanet.